Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 28, 2012, 07:41 PM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
How is everyone securing there bixler pods? I used tape yesterday but it is a bit of a pita.

It came with rubber bands but i am concerned there is a chance they could catch on the ground on landing and i'm not really keen on relying on a rubber band to hold $150 of gear. I've seen people use velcro wrapped around the fuse but i figure it could also snag on the ground on landing.

Anyone got any tips?
Hi Nogas,

Best way to do this without question is: simply buy an after market canopy locking hatch, most are spring loaded. I got mine from HK for a few bucks. Remove enough foam on the top of the fuse and use 5 minute epoxy to glue the hatch in place. Prior to doing this, use sewing machine oil to ensure if any epoxy gets into the hatch it will not glue the spring in. then replace the foam you cut out and draw a dot in the end of the hatch where you think it will touch the pod kit. Let it go and the ink will mark exactly where you need to drill out a small hole and its secured ! This looks professional and ensure no matter how you fly, the pod kit will stay put and swapping out Lipos takes a few seconds ! Heres some pix of mine.
OzparkPilot is online now Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 28, 2012, 08:13 PM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Thanks Bing, will look into a hatch latch, it certainly looks nice. Only thing i'd be worried about is if the front end flexes and the pin pulls out. Goodbye pod

That RMRC pod looks pretty flash. How much are they with the pan tilt?
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas
Old May 28, 2012, 08:18 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas View Post
Thanks Bing, will look into a hatch latch, it certainly looks nice. Only thing i'd be worried about is if the front end flexes and the pin pulls out. Goodbye pod

That RMRC pod looks pretty flash. How much are they with the pan tilt?
Keep in mind that this hatch I built is for added security - there are already two rare earth magnets actually holding the pod in and everyone else that uses the Pod has not had an issue I just like the added security and knowing it staying put.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=548
Old May 28, 2012, 09:28 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
The velcro is the strongest method.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old May 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Here's one I flew today, LOS only.

Hudson River Flying 5-28-12 (5 min 7 sec)
Old May 28, 2012, 09:45 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
The velcro is the strongest method.
Velcro is obviously designed to pull apart - A metal pin in wood can not so im affraid your very wrong. No gold stars for you
Old May 28, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Over engineered a simple solution. Looks like your just a bit anal!!!! If you wrap the velcro completely around the fuselage as i mentioned, it will NEVER come loose. Yours, on the other hand, will be destroyed upon first collision. Then you'll be SOL!!!
Old May 28, 2012, 09:52 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Over engineered a simple solution. Looks like your just a bit anal!!!! If you wrap the velcro completely around the fuselage as i mentioned, it will NEVER come loose. Yours, on the other hand, will be destroyed upon first collision. Then you'll be SOL!!!
Each to there own .... I like neat simply relaible systems like mine but if your works for you then great stuff ! ( mine still is cheaper and nicer looking lol )
Old May 28, 2012, 10:02 PM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Who really cares what it looks like??? You can't see it in the air anyways. Build it for functionality, then worry about your beauty. Becauuse after you crash it, you'll change your tune!!!
Old May 28, 2012, 10:06 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,609 Posts
Quote:
Who really cares what it looks like??? You can't see it in the air anyways. Build it for functionality, then worry about your beauty. Becauuse after you crash it, you'll change your tune!!!
Some people care more about looks then others, I personally go the extra mile to atleast make things look as good as possible, it might not be as good looking as some but it's certainly better looking then a majority .

Personally if I had the time and money I would make a plane you would never even be able to tell it had FPV gear on it :P.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
Old May 28, 2012, 10:29 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,452 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Some people care more about looks then others, I personally go the extra mile to atleast make things look as good as possible, it might not be as good looking as some but it's certainly better looking then a majority .

Personally if I had the time and money I would make a plane you would never even be able to tell it had FPV gear on it :P.
could not agree more building planes for me is not just about funtioality, its a challange to make things both look good and work perfectly.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:23 AM
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Don't get me wrong, I like my planes to look good also. You do what you can with what you have available sometimes. That's what makes this hobby so interesting. The limits are really your imagination when building.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:43 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Max

Great video. Really nice and relaxing. I forgot what that part of the country looks like. My grandmother is buried up in White Plains which is a little inland East from the river.

Oh. I also have a soft spot for Celtic music and Riverdance.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 29, 2012, 07:45 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post

That would look like a Kevlar coated B2.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 29, 2012, 08:08 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Feb 2011
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Keep in mind that this hatch I built is for added security - there are already two rare earth magnets actually holding the pod in and everyone else that uses the Pod has not had an issue I just like the added security and knowing it staying put.

http://www.readymaderc.com/store/ind...roducts_id=548
It looks good but Wow, thats a lot of dough for some cnc cut ply and 2 $3 servos.
nogas is offline Find More Posts by nogas