Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old May 26, 2012, 06:29 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Good point about signal interference and antenna positioning, I use 1.2Ghz cloverleaf mounted all the way back by the vertical stab, which is a bit more penetrating then 5.8 though I did notice that when out 1km+ out that on return the plane would considerably block the signal, so what I did to correct for this on mine (as 1.2Ghz is quite a bit larger an antenna so wing is not the best place) was using my L connector I angled it to a 45 degree angle outward, then bend the antenna (stiff bendable coax) to a 45 degree angle back to vertical, which offset the antenna past the fuse. I still get interference this way on a turn but only for a split second when the fuse get's in the way of the offset.

(Pic Attached)
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Let'sFPV UBEC 1 WEEK SALE
to remove ads between posts
Old May 27, 2012, 02:06 AM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
First post in this thread. Been in the main Bixler thread and that's how I discovered this one.

Up to now, I have built a strengthened Bixler with 30A ESC, APC 6x4E prop on the standard motor. Added a GoPro Hero a few weeks ago to the HK canopy mount and shot some video. Not happy with the nose in view, I created a new platform on the nose with about a 10 degree angle down. Getting great video angle now.

Decided I needed more stability so have on order a FY30A. Waiting for that.

Camera is great, but read too many good reports and improvements with the Hero 2. Picked one up today. Looking forward to testing both video and still on interval timer.

So my intent is to fly FPV so I can get good range for my videos. I am flying at my line-of-sight limit now.

So what to buy next? Need some advice with Video Tx and Rx. Do I use goggles? I think I need an OSD to monitor battery voltage and other critical information?

I would be grateful for suggested items to fly FPV as reliable as possible. I guess we all want that!
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 08:20 AM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post
First post in this thread. Been in the main Bixler thread and that's how I discovered this one.

Up to now, I have built a strengthened Bixler with 30A ESC, APC 6x4E prop on the standard motor. Added a GoPro Hero a few weeks ago to the HK canopy mount and shot some video. Not happy with the nose in view, I created a new platform on the nose with about a 10 degree angle down. Getting great video angle now.

Camera is great, but read too many good reports and improvements with the Hero 2. Picked one up today. Looking forward to testing both video and still on interval timer.

So my intent is to fly FPV so I can get good range for my videos. I am flying at my line-of-sight limit now.

So what to buy next? Need some advice with Video Tx and Rx. Do I use goggles? I think I need an OSD to monitor battery voltage and other critical information?

I would be grateful for suggested items to fly FPV as reliable as possible. I guess we all want that!
@Grazer - here's what I'm using...

Hobby King Bixler with 5.8G FPV System

Fatshark Predators Goggles

Here are some of my other Bixler FPV threads too.

Hope this helps,

Steve
www.ilovefpv.com
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old May 27, 2012, 11:20 AM
Joined Apr 2012
922 Posts
Are you guys using two batteries or just one in your bixler? and how many mah?
timtimtim is offline Find More Posts by timtimtim
Last edited by timtimtim; May 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 01:45 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grazer View Post

Instead of FY30A I would go with FY31AP which offers return to home and loiter options, and you can get Hornet OSD bundled with it, or go with a different OSD.

Personally I fly with a screen, I don't like goggles simply because of the potential for error in putting them on and removing them, but that is a personal choice.

As far as video goes, what are you using for your RC control? What range do you want to get?
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 01:46 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timtimtim View Post
Are you guys using two batteries or just one in your bixler? and how many mah?
I use 2 batteries in my setup, I use a Zippy Compact 2700mah 3S for my main which powers motor, servos, and AutoPilot, then I have a second 500mah 3s for video TX, OSD, and Camera. With my setup I can get 25 to 30 min flight times.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 04:32 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Instead of FY30A I would go with FY31AP which offers return to home and loiter options, and you can get Hornet OSD bundled with it, or go with a different OSD.

Personally I fly with a screen, I don't like goggles simply because of the potential for error in putting them on and removing them, but that is a personal choice.

As far as video goes, what are you using for your RC control? What range do you want to get?
If I had the money I would go with the ArduPilot Mega 2.0. It has everything the FY31AP has including GPS. You can also add just about any OSD system.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
If I had the money I would go with the ArduPilot Mega 2.0. It has everything the FY31AP has including GPS. You can also add just about any OSD system.
Ardupilot is nice but it seems a bit bigger then FY3x, plus having the GPS built on (though it can be separate which is nice) doesn't seem to be the best idea either.

That being said open source is nice, it means in the right hands it can easily be customised to do whatever.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 05:29 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Ardupilot is nice but it seems a bit bigger then FY3x, plus having the GPS built on (though it can be separate which is nice) doesn't seem to be the best idea either.

That being said open source is nice, it means in the right hands it can easily be customised to do whatever.
A friend of mine is using it on an EZ. He has been testing way point control at different altitudes. It is surprisingly very accurate especially the RTH and emergency take over commands.
Old May 27, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
A friend of mine is using it on an EZ. He has been testing way point control at different altitudes. It is surprisingly very accurate especially the RTH and emergency take over commands.
By the time I am ready to look into another AP Ardu is on the top of my thought list.

Speaking of AP's, it's 5 to 7mph winds outside with blue skies and fluffy white clouds floating on by, think I will do a late afternoon FPV, I've been meaning to do longer range tests of my RTH anyway before I attempt any more personal records, so I think I will do an rth test from 300 meters alt and about 500 meters ground range and she what she does, then I will do a 300 meter alt 1km range and see how she does. If I am happy then I will just point her against the wind and see how far she goes until RTH kicks in without using my 1 watt amp (still waiting on a replacement antenna for it since I broke it in my backpack ). I have gotten to 1.2Km with my radio before, though I almost always would get glitches once I got close to a km without the use of a windsurfer, but with it I have gone to 1.2km without a glitch, so I know this thing does indeed work somewhat :P, I am thinking I can get to 2km maybe, with the amp I know I can do a lot more :P.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 06:07 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,597 Posts
Quote:
By the time I am ready to look into another AP Ardu is on the top of my thought list.

Speaking of AP's, it's 5 to 7mph winds outside with blue skies and fluffy white clouds floating on by, think I will do a late afternoon FPV, I've been meaning to do longer range tests of my RTH anyway before I attempt any more personal records, so I think I will do an rth test from 300 meters alt and about 500 meters ground range and she what she does, then I will do a 300 meter alt 1km range and see how she does. If I am happy then I will just point her against the wind and see how far she goes until RTH kicks in without using my 1 watt amp (still waiting on a replacement antenna for it since I broke it in my backpack ). I have gotten to 1.2Km with my radio before, though I almost always would get glitches once I got close to a km without the use of a windsurfer, but with it I have gone to 1.2km without a glitch, so I know this thing does indeed work somewhat :P, I am thinking I can get to 2km maybe, with the amp I know I can do a lot more :P.
Sounds like a good plane to test range and control of your RTH. Just don't let the wind push it out too far or it might have some issues getting back.
Old May 27, 2012, 06:16 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
Sounds like a good plane to test range and control of your RTH. Just don't let the wind push it out too far or it might have some issues getting back.
Yeah my flight will be carefully planned based on the wind, at current it's 5 to 10, so I will probably head into the wind on the outward leg, or atleast mostly head into it, depends on it's direction, I am not going over town , at either rate I will carefully monitor it .
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Ok I did it, got out to about 800 meters at about 340m altitude, and flipped on RTH, and I was pretty happy with it so I turned around and went 2km (on a Devo 8 100mw using stock antenna + windsurfer) to about 500 meters altitude, no glitching even but I turned on RTH and she happily returned again . It's my farthest distance in that particular direction (2.24km is my personal record), plus my longest in the air time yet, 27 min!

I did have a crappy with the wind landing (way too fast on approach), which resulted in ripped off LG, but it's an easy 10 min fix .
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 07:49 PM
Team Lumenier Pilot
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Aug 2011
2,539 Posts
Quote:
Thanks to all those that replied with such useful information. It sure is a learning curve.

Quote:
Using a DX8 with 2.4Ghz RX. I am not even sure what flying range I will get from that. If you are asking what Video range I want, I guess 3km to 5km would be ideal for now.

Got a new video too. Took this late yesterday afternoon. Remember, I have not yet installed a stabiliser, but it is reasonably steady IMO.

Feedback welcome.

GoPro on RC Plane - Hero 2 test (2 min 13 sec)
Grazer is offline Find More Posts by Grazer
RCG Plus Member
Old May 27, 2012, 07:51 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,640 Posts
Quote:
The behaviour I noticed it do was to at first head straight for launch point, wind would vear it off about 10 to 15 degrees, then it would aim itself back to launch again.
RCG Plus Member