SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 21, 2012, 02:58 AM
Team Park Pilot - Airborne
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Guys - Is anyone flying with a Fasst RX ? I need some suggestions to see how you have placed your antennas at 90c but I would like them mounted sticking outside the plane for best reception. Thanks

PS: Happy to cut a hatch etc
OzparkPilot is offline Find More Posts by OzparkPilot
to remove ads between posts
Old May 21, 2012, 05:08 AM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,891 Posts
One is in front direction to the aay of flight.

The second is up to the sky into the tunnle of the ESC cable.
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old May 21, 2012, 05:12 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Thanks - whist I understand as stated how a fasst rx needs to be placed I'm looking for locations. This SS is by FAR the smallest plane I have and it very hard to find the right location to mount it
Old May 21, 2012, 12:56 PM
Registered Pilot
United States, NY, New York
Joined Oct 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tregtronics View Post
I have a new secret sauce, clear laminate called Newstuff, that basically turns a foam plane practically indestructible. . . . I've posted a couple times about the stuff, I just love it. I have no commercial interest in these guys except to make sure this coating is always available, and maybe get the price down if more starts to sell.
Thanks for the tip. I was about to order some, but the shipping charges were outrageous. It would double the cost of the stuff. ($18 shipping for $17 in material.) I tried reducing the quantity, and the shipping went down but it was still more than double the cost of the film. ($14 shipping on $8 of material). Oh well.
bmschulman is offline Find More Posts by bmschulman
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bmschulman; May 21, 2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old May 21, 2012, 12:57 PM
Registered Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
922 Posts
Another question for those of you taping the plane together instead of gluing: How are you installing the widely-recommended CF rod in the bottom of the fuselage? Everyone says to glue it in the belly antenna slot, but if you are taping it together I don't think you can do that unless you glue it to only one half of the slot. Any tips would be appreciated!
RCG Plus Member
Old May 21, 2012, 02:51 PM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
Another question for those of you taping the plane together instead of gluing: How are you installing the widely-recommended CF rod in the bottom of the fuselage? Everyone says to glue it in the belly antenna slot, but if you are taping it together I don't think you can do that unless you glue it to only one half of the slot. Any tips would be appreciated!
I used a 2mm CF rod, instead of the recommended 3mm, and glued it to half of the slot using medium CA with blue painters tape holding it in place until the CA cured.
Javatango is offline Find More Posts by Javatango
Old May 21, 2012, 04:28 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Man I wish MINE came in two halfs !
Old May 21, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
I have stopped using the rod on the bottom of the plane. Found it useless. Simply tape the bottom to prevent it from scratching the foam.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old May 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
I have stopped using the rod on the bottom of the plane. Found it useless. Simply tape the bottom to prevent it from scratching the foam.
I have the rod along the bottom of plane, seems to do nothing for stiffness, tail has a heap of flex.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old May 22, 2012, 09:38 AM
Joined Apr 2008
356 Posts
just finished assembling mine (hk basic kit version) and maidened yesterday.
Battery is a hyperion 3300mAh 3s, OSD is RangeVideo and vTX is the 5.8ghz 200mW with a self made cloverleaf. AUW is 1040g.
Next i will add some magnet to keep wings together and a reinforced CF wing rod
GliderLover is offline Find More Posts by GliderLover
Old May 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
Thanks for the tip. I was about to order some, but the shipping charges were outrageous. It would double the cost of the stuff. ($18 shipping for $17 in material.) I tried reducing the quantity, and the shipping went down but it was still more than double the cost of the film. ($14 shipping on $8 of material). Oh well.
Glue the CF rod in place... Here are some details about the one I used:

Bixler FPV
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old May 22, 2012, 07:27 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GliderLover View Post
just finished assembling mine (hk basic kit version) and maidened yesterday.
Battery is a hyperion 3300mAh 3s, OSD is RangeVideo and vTX is the 5.8ghz 200mW with a self made cloverleaf. AUW is 1040g.
Next i will add some magnet to keep wings together and a reinforced CF wing rod
Do yourself a favor and install the Vtx and cloverleaf out on the wing past the aileron from the start. Usually its just three wires (servo wire) so its easy to bury out there. It will help your range considerably. I was advised of this when i set up my 200mw 5.8 setup but didnt listen and ended up regretting it. There are too many obstructions in the path of the signal when mounting it on the pod.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old May 23, 2012, 02:43 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Nov 2006
4,471 Posts
Who has these in stock please ?
Old May 23, 2012, 11:25 AM
Registered Pilot
Joined Oct 2006
922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
ReadyMadeRC.com has all configurations of the Sky Surfer in stock. (Basic kit, plug-and-play and ready-to-fly brushless). They are all the "Version 1" variant of the plane, with the servos and pushrods on the exterior to provide more space inside for FPV gear. If you buy elsewhere you may end up with Version 2 which has the servos and pushrods located inside, and is not as good for FPV.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2012, 04:33 PM
Crash....Fix......repeat.
United States, UT, Eagle Mountain
Joined Jan 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BingWing View Post
Readymaderc is where I got my SS, I would suggest looking to them first before you look anywhere else. I would also suggest looking at RMRC for FPV and really anything else.
kokopropelli is offline Find More Posts by kokopropelli