Old May 17, 2012, 12:27 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
++1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
ok i repaired it!

After all the pressure i felt guilty to just toss or give her away. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, right?

Well, i reinforced the tail boom, glued the cockpit back on, adjusted the motor mount, fixed the servo's, glued the wings together again, reinforced the ailerons with hinges, put a lot of tape onto it and some other stuff...

Now she is a hot glue monster :-) don't know if she will fly but i am pretty sure, she will.

The fuselage is totally off and got bend a lot (see the pictures).

Well, will try tomorrow during lunch to fly here

wish me luck!
pavn is online now Find More Posts by pavn
to remove ads between posts
Old May 17, 2012, 01:54 AM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
OK I repaired it!

After all the pressure I felt guilty to just toss or give her away. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, right?

Well, I reinforced the tail boom, glued the cockpit back on, adjusted the motor mount, fixed the servo's, glued the wings together again, reinforced the ailerons with hinges, put a lot of tape onto it and some other stuff...

Now she is a Hot Glue Monster :-) Don't know if she will fly but I am pretty sure, she will.

Wish me luck!
Nice job mate!
For sure, fly it a few times, but I reckon with the fuse bent like that, you'll have a yaw/trim issue. Shouldn't be too hard to fix though.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc
Old May 17, 2012, 07:11 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,587 Posts
Quote:
OK I repaired it!

After all the pressure I felt guilty to just toss or give her away. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, right?

Well, I reinforced the tail boom, glued the cockpit back on, adjusted the motor mount, fixed the servo's, glued the wings together again, reinforced the ailerons with hinges, put a lot of tape onto it and some other stuff...

Now she is a Hot Glue Monster :-) Don't know if she will fly but I am pretty sure, she will.

Wish me luck!
Looks like you put some time into it. I believe you will find it was worth it. Depending on how much the fuse is off you should be able to adjust the trim. Make sure the CG is as close as possible to the MFG recommendation.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 18, 2012, 04:14 PM
Fly it, edit it, post it.
Joined Dec 2011
355 Posts
I've rebuilt so many times they call my planes the Zombies at the field I fly. So glad you rebuilt it as I was one of the biggest cringers when I heard you were going to buy a new one. Crashed planes always fly so much better than stinky new stiff ones.

I have a new secret sauce, clear laminate called Newstuff, that basically turns a foam plane practically indestructible. I coated my T28 trojan with it, and the wings on my Easy Star. My next Bixler FPV will have it. My SkySurfers would still be flying if I knew about it then. I have hit a soccer post at full speed, and did not break a wing. There's a nice soccer post dent, but no cracks, and you can see how the force was spread over a larger area. With a layer of this over the wings not only does it reduce the flex overall when you put high wing loading with FPV equipment, it makes my planes seem faster as the smooth surface is so slippery in the air. I would swear I am getting 10 minutes more battery life out of my FPV setup, even though I am a bit heavier with the coating.

I've posted a couple times about the stuff, I just love it. I have no commercial interest in these guys except to make sure this coating is always available, and maybe get the price down if more starts to sell.

http://www.canuckengineering.com/new.../film-covering

A layer of 10 mil on the belly makes the plane so tough for belly landings. The 5 mil is what I put on my wings to prevent flex, increase strength, and impact resistance. The 3 mil I coat everything these days with, just because any impacts get spread over such a larger area, I never see cracks form. (I fly a lot of custom deltas). Anyway, Andy, I think a bit of this magic sauce would have kept all the wing damage from happening, and will give you better performance out of your plane. Andy, I will give you some to put on your wings, I bought 50 feet of it, and have extra. You will love it I am convinced.

From our flight report this AM. Newstuff kept my plane in one piece I swear, If the motor wasn't so wet, I would have flown it, and it plowed into the ground at full speed.
"Today Treggon earned his nickname, "Iceplant". He was over the stables headed toward the far end of the field, rolled inverted and tried to stay there but he lacked enough down elevator and did a beautiful high speed descent into terra firma, behind the ball diamond treeline. We went to recover the pieces and found he had flown into a thick patch of iceplant. He picked it up and water ran out of the nose and iceplant pieces were embedded in the cowl and around the motor. The rest of the plane (Zombie) was fine. He dug out the iceplant and dried it out. It will fly again. Bummer."
tregtronics is offline Find More Posts by tregtronics
Old May 18, 2012, 04:53 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,784 Posts
I just ordered some foil, too - for my Skywalker
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old May 19, 2012, 03:28 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Wow, I had my first REAL taste of thermals today! I was FPV flying where I usually do, and I was ascending to about 300 meters to do some gliding, though I noticed while climbing that I was having a LOT of turbuluance which I thought was odd because winds where only about 2mph to 6 or 7mph gusts, but mostly fairly calm, plus I was flying with my FY31AP with stabilize on which can easily handle 20mph winds without the type of turbulence I was getting!

I got to my goal of 300 meters (I wasn't watching the altimiter while I was ascending, but watching the view), and cut engine to do some gliding. After a few moments of circuiting around I was back down to 250 meters alt, and then WHAM, the turbulunce hit but this time I was watching the altimter when it happened, I got skyrocketed back up to 320 meters in roughly 15 seconds! I couldn't believe my eyes watching the alt ladder climb like that, I even double checked my throttle and amp pull to make sure the motor was really off :P. I got good thermals speratically for about 5 minutes and I would keep trying to circle around and actually find one and hold onto it, but eventually I got below 225 meters and it stopped :P.

I had a little over 22 minutes of flight time on my 2700mah, and only drew about 1600mah off of it.

Was a very fun flight, plus I did some low altitude passes (about 15 meters, which is low to me :P) around the local marsh paths .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Recent Juggernaut Flights
Old May 19, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
Wow, I had my first REAL taste of thermals today! I was FPV flying where I usually do, and I was ascending to about 300 meters to do some gliding, though I noticed while climbing that I was having a LOT of turbuluance which I thought was odd because winds where only about 2mph to 6 or 7mph gusts, but mostly fairly calm, plus I was flying with my FY31AP with stabilize on which can easily handle 20mph winds without the type of turbulence I was getting!

I got to my goal of 300 meters (I wasn't watching the altimiter while I was ascending, but watching the view), and cut engine to do some gliding. After a few moments of circuiting around I was back down to 250 meters alt, and then WHAM, the turbulunce hit but this time I was watching the altimter when it happened, I got skyrocketed back up to 320 meters in roughly 15 seconds! I couldn't believe my eyes watching the alt ladder climb like that, I even double checked my throttle and amp pull to make sure the motor was really off :P. I got good thermals speratically for about 5 minutes and I would keep trying to circle around and actually find one and hold onto it, but eventually I got below 225 meters and it stopped :P.

I had a little over 22 minutes of flight time on my 2700mah, and only drew about 1600mah off of it.

Was a very fun flight, plus I did some low altitude passes (about 15 meters, which is low to me :P) around the local marsh paths .
What no videos??

Yep. Them thermals are a slopers best friend. I spent time today with my friends and their powered gliders. They use the motor to climb and then look for the thermals to stay up. Very interesting way to fly.
Old May 19, 2012, 03:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
What no videos??

Yep. Them thermals are a slopers best friend. I spent time today with my friends and their powered gliders. They use the motor to climb and then look for the thermals to stay up. Very interesting way to fly.
I switched my laptop to linux and it just refuses to recognise the sync signal from my EZCap, and it doesn't do much better on windows. I am hoping to get either HoryzonHD cam soon, and or eventually a better ground recording device.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 07:14 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,587 Posts
Quote:
I switched my laptop to linux and it just refuses to recognise the sync signal from my EZCap, and it doesn't do much better on windows. I am hoping to get either HoryzonHD cam soon, and or eventually a better ground recording device.
Strange. I wouldn't think a PC operating system would not accept a video input. It may have to do with the data input speed is higher than your video card is set for. You may want to check the card options or setup.
Old May 19, 2012, 08:14 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Strange. I wouldn't think a PC operating system would not accept a video input. It may have to do with the data input speed is higher than your video card is set for. You may want to check the card options or setup.
It's a hardware problem, the sync signal from the vRX the EZCap cannot cope with, it's a known problem for some. If you watch any of my existing videos you will see a lot of loss of sync, but my live view is usually crystal clear and generally glitch free.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 09:09 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,587 Posts
Quote:
It's a hardware problem, the sync signal from the vRX the EZCap cannot cope with, it's a known problem for some. If you watch any of my existing videos you will see a lot of loss of sync, but my live view is usually crystal clear and generally glitch free.
I still think there is some type of interference or noise on the data side.

If it is a hardware issue then it could be how your video card is setup. There should be some way of modifying the settings to get better synchronization. Have you talked to any of them PC geeks?
Old May 19, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
I still think there is some type of interference or noise on the data side.

If it is a hardware issue then it could be how your video card is setup. There should be some way of modifying the settings to get better synchronization. Have you talked to any of them PC geeks?
Believe me I have done a lot, it's an EZCap thing is all it is, it boils down to the decoder built into the EZCap.

I'm going to try to mount a cell phone to record my live display :P
RCG Plus Member
Old May 19, 2012, 11:19 PM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,870 Posts
Did you try to connect the camera to vtx without the osd ?
Just to test it.

I used several osf systems with no problems at all.
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old May 19, 2012, 11:24 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
Did you try to connect the camera to vtx without the osd ?
Just to test it.

I used several osf systems with no problems at all.
It is the OSD that makes it horrible, it does it a little bit without the OSD but it is many times worse with it, but remember it is the EZCap that loses sync, my monitor does not at all, stays rock solid.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 20, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,597 Posts
Ok since my EZCap refuses to do the job, I hooked up a cell phone to my sun shroud to capture my live display

Bixler FPV 5-20-12 (22 min 40 sec)

Yes it is a 23 minute flight uncut, most interesting stuff is at take off, around 8:15 min in, and landing, I didn't feel like editing or cutting it, espially at this quality. But I will have an HD cam soon, hopefully by the end of the week.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by NorCalMatCat; May 21, 2012 at 02:12 PM.