HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 13, 2012, 09:05 AM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,176 Posts
That is totally fixable. Is that Oceanside?
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
Czech Republic, Olomouc
Joined Sep 2010
572 Posts
I would simply and easily fix it. Yes I take it. If you would trash it.

Just let me know the shipping cost to me to my country, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
So I almost lost my Skysurfer today and all of my FPV Equipment.

I was flying too low on landing approach and a massive concrete bridge was blocking the signal - both RX and VTX.

Before I could react, the RSSI kicked in and next thing I saw was two pools and a lot of static a second later.

Somehow the plane saved itself and landed on some grass area and after 30min of S&R I found it just sitting there. Oh boy!

All the electronics survived but the foam was too damaged and after puling out all electronics, I saw that the cockpit was too damaged. Also the wings had cuts on the joints and the tail boom was compressed.

Attached is the flight log from my DOSD, pulled out with the FPVCommander.

Anyone interested in the foam before I trash it? It's probably $10 shipping or so.

I will post pictures later of the foam.
pavn is offline Find More Posts by pavn
Last edited by pavn; May 13, 2012 at 09:16 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Fix it!!!! Looks like a clean break and is easily repairable. Same goes for me. If you're going to throw it it, I'll take it off your hands.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old May 13, 2012, 04:07 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
That is totally fixable. Is that Oceanside?
Close - It's a beach in Carlsbad off of La Costa.

The internal structure is completely damaged. Basically have to doctor the entire foam apart and try to realign the tail boom. Also the wings are have huge cracks around the fuselage join.

It's probably fixable but that will take some time. Considering that I only have about 4-5h / weekend for this Hobby and that I get a new one for only $50 - I probably will trash it.

I can ship it for real shipping costs within CONUS. Shipping to another country is probably more expensive then ordering a brand new one :-)
flyandi is offline Find More Posts by flyandi
Old May 13, 2012, 10:44 PM
FPV! and nothing else matters.
Israel, Haifa
Joined Aug 2010
1,881 Posts
After that day,... i was sure it is time to say good bye to the bix ...

I was sure it can't even be trashed

But i put it aside .. got a new plane ... and one day .. i wad too bord.
I dtarted playing with it .. and guess wgat ? It now has more glue then epo .. but i had plenty of other chances to crash it :-)

Your damege is way from total .. fix it !

Dead sea - FPV (5 min 32 sec)
guy1a is online now Find More Posts by guy1a
Old May 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
Freighter in the Bay

Normally I would shorten the vid to 3min. But I think this one is worth watching right to the end!
FPV Freighter In The Bay (5 min 45 sec)
jeffgiff is offline Find More Posts by jeffgiff
Old May 14, 2012, 02:51 AM
wic
Finland, Uusimaa, Porvoo
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffgiff View Post
Normally I would shorten the vid to 3min. But I think this one is worth watching right to the end!
AUTSCH!
I hope the damage was not to much.
I like Your videos.

Best regards

Andy
wic is offline Find More Posts by wic
Old May 14, 2012, 03:14 AM
9W2DLR
Malaysia, Federal Territory of Putrajaya, Putrajaya
Joined Nov 2011
2,041 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zE3FkfI0dM&feature=plcp
so that how you land it I was going to ask how you gonna land it until i watch it until the end
skellator is offline Find More Posts by skellator
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: ZMR/RCX Motor X Mount
Old May 14, 2012, 09:09 AM
0x46 0x50 0x56
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,176 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy1a View Post
What a great place to FPV. I enjoyed watching it. Your video link is really solid. Nice setup.
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 14, 2012, 09:19 AM
Vancouver Island, Canada
Joined Nov 2011
109 Posts
That wasn't a video feed but a clip from the on board GoPro. I do not have a DVR yet and so am not able to record my video feed. And yes, it is a remarkable place to fly! I have mostly been flying line of site but am starting to get more comfortable with FPV. I have some great trips planned with the boat and plane this summer. Should make for some good video.
jeffgiff is offline Find More Posts by jeffgiff
Old May 14, 2012, 09:27 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,791 Posts
Oh geez - I think this was not a good weekend for the Skysurfer :-) But nice video! So peaceful!
Old May 14, 2012, 10:06 AM
Joined Jan 2011
415 Posts
I made a camera mount out of a cd jewel case. I put tape on it for strength. It's held on to the plane with rubber bands from the Sunday paper. I used a hobby knife to cut it out. Make sure to make very light scoring marks, over and over and over, or you'll crack the hell out of it like I did. Seems to work fine, I put it together and shook the plane like a baby, and it survived loops and spins.
npre is offline Find More Posts by npre
Old May 16, 2012, 10:31 PM
"I want more air time!"
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
Quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zE3FkfI0dM&feature=plcp
LOL! Multitasking Cruising (literally) on a boat and flying FPV at the same time. "Let me guess" the BBQ was up and going as it looks like the lid was up, otherwise you would of had the catch
Enjoyed the view.
Eternalflight is offline Find More Posts by Eternalflight
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mantis Y-6, with Gimbal test II
Old May 16, 2012, 11:31 PM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,791 Posts
OK I repaired it!

After all the pressure I felt guilty to just toss or give her away. Everyone deserves a 2nd chance, right?

Well, I reinforced the tail boom, glued the cockpit back on, adjusted the motor mount, fixed the servo's, glued the wings together again, reinforced the ailerons with hinges, put a lot of tape onto it and some other stuff...

Now she is a Hot Glue Monster :-) Don't know if she will fly but I am pretty sure, she will.

The fuselage is totally off and got bend a lot (see the pictures).

Well, will try tomorrow during lunch to fly here

Wish me luck!
Old May 16, 2012, 11:39 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Good Job!!! Knew you could do it. And you saved $50.00!!! She'll fly just fine. I've rebuilt much worse than what you had and they are still flying also. Just keep plenty of glue on hand.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax