HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2012, 10:08 PM
TREX 450 FPV Holy Grail
Central Texas
Joined Apr 2009
437 Posts
Quote:
How are people attaching the tail stabilizers if the fuselage is taped rather than glued together? It seems to me that the tail parts need to be glued in to be secure.
I want to tape vs. glue, too, and there are few to zero tape posts that cover the tail section. I'm mid-build and am using a nylon wing bolt, screwing up through the bottom hole at the rear of the tail, through a casing glued to half of the existing hole in the fuse, through the H stab, and into a hardwood ~blind nut type thing I CA'd into the V Stab. I have pics and will post when I get to a stopping place. I think I may also do a few of the rare earth magnets to help keep things tight.

No idea if this will end up working, but with no tail assembly guidance for taped fuses, it is the best I can come up with at the moment.

Really getting a lot of great ideas from the thread. Keep it up!

Here is a preview pic of the V Stab bolt receiver:

-Sia
sia100 is offline Find More Posts by sia100
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2012, 12:44 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,651 Posts
That is kind of how I did mine. I put a blind nut 1/2" into the vertical stab though. See post 1486 for a few loose details.

Anyway, after about 10 flights mine is holding up great. Bad news is that so far I haven't needed to remove the tail. So it's all for nothing at this point. Oh well... someday... when I do need to take the tail off it will be nice.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old May 10, 2012, 02:17 PM
Joined Jun 2011
207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Here's a flight from yesterday and I did 1/2 mile on Spktrum DX7 and orange Tx. Next up will be installation of Dragonlink for longer range.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wbs_BVdOnf0
You might want to +2 the "fill light" on YouTube... The GoPro with an overcast sky seems to get confused...

-Steve
http://www.ilovefpv.com
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old May 11, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
164 Posts
Flying times

Hey Guys,

I'm flying with a 3s 2200 mah lipo and today I got 13 minutes before I hit lvc--I was left with 9.9v. My AUW is about 2 pounds and 3 ounces. Maybe I'm just on the throttle all the time when flying fpv?
Jcome is offline Find More Posts by Jcome
Last edited by Jcome; May 11, 2012 at 01:09 PM.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:23 PM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,068 Posts
I am at 33oz AUW with FPV gear and 3s 2200 lipo and I average about 15 mins with mixed throttle flying.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
I am at 33oz AUW with FPV gear and 3s 2200 lipo and I average about 15 mins with mixed throttle flying.
OK, that's not that different. Thanks for letting me know.
Jcome is offline Find More Posts by Jcome
Old May 11, 2012, 02:03 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
That time sounds about right. Full throttle flying gets me about 9 minutes, and mixed about 15.
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old May 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
I get 20 to 25min with my 2700mah
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old May 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post
How are people attaching the tail stabilizers if the fuselage is taped rather than glued together? It seems to me that the tail parts need to be glued in to be secure.

Thanks!
I just happen to be at this stage with my build. I decided to tape the fuselage together with Scotch double sided tape. Everything seems to be holding really well. Extreme tape was used on the outside of the motor area just to keep the motor extra secure.

This evening I am going to try attaching the tail with silicone adhesive. Silicone takes overnight to cure. If it doesn't work out, it's really easy to remove. I will let you guys know how it works out.
Javatango is offline Find More Posts by Javatango
Old May 11, 2012, 08:17 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I get 20 to 25min with my 2700mah
That's because you live in California where all that warm air comes in from the Pacific: rolleyes:
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 12, 2012, 09:18 AM
FPV ADDICT
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Jan 2011
560 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmschulman View Post

Thanks!
Several different kinds of methods to do it....

Wirewolf903 is offline Find More Posts by Wirewolf903
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wirewolf903 Blog
Old May 12, 2012, 11:50 PM
United States, WA, Auburn
Joined Dec 2011
74 Posts
I glued in the tail section with silicone adhesive and it holds great and dried rubbery. Shouldn't be a problem to separate the tail if I ever need to take the fuselage apart. Be sure to scuff both sides with sandpaper prior to applying the silicone.
Javatango is offline Find More Posts by Javatango
Old May 13, 2012, 12:16 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,661 Posts
Major Crash

So I almost lost my Skysurfer today and all of my FPV Equipment.

I was flying too low on landing approach and a massive concrete bridge was blocking the signal - both RX and VTX.

Before I could react, the RSSI kicked in and next thing I saw was two pools and a lot of static a second later.

Somehow the plane saved itself and landed on some grass area and after 30min of S&R I found it just sitting there. Oh boy!

All the electronics survived but the foam was too damaged and after puling out all electronics, I saw that the cockpit was too damaged. Also the wings had cuts on the joints and the tail boom was compressed.

Attached is the flight log from my DOSD, pulled out with the FPVCommander.

Anyone interested in the foam before I trash it? It's probably $10 shipping or so.

I will post pictures later of the foam.
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi
Last edited by flyandi; May 13, 2012 at 12:28 AM.
Old May 13, 2012, 08:25 AM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyandi View Post
So I almost lost my Skysurfer today and all of my FPV Equipment.

I was flying too low on landing approach and a massive concrete bridge was blocking the signal - both RX and VTX.

Before I could react, the RSSI kicked in and next thing I saw was two pools and a lot of static a second later.

Somehow the plane saved itself and landed on some grass area and after 30min of S&R I found it just sitting there. Oh boy!

All the electronics survived but the foam was too damaged and after puling out all electronics, I saw that the cockpit was too damaged. Also the wings had cuts on the joints and the tail boom was compressed.

Attached is the flight log from my DOSD, pulled out with the FPVCommander.

Anyone interested in the foam before I trash it? It's probably $10 shipping or so.

I will post pictures later of the foam.
Actually some people here would say the plane can be repaired even with what looks like it got beheaded.

Wait for other feed back before you trash it.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 13, 2012, 09:02 AM
San Marcos, CA
Joined Aug 2009
2,661 Posts
FPV Flight #1 - 5/12/12 (1 min 52 sec)

FPV Flight #2 - Almost Lost the Plane - 5/12/12 (3 min 18 sec)
flyandi is online now Find More Posts by flyandi