HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 17, 2011, 12:14 PM
John
United States, WA, Mason
Joined Apr 2011
813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovefpv View Post
Glad you are enjoying the thread. I've got a feeling this thread is going to continue to grow steadily. Great video - and I'm subscribed to you on Vimeo...

So you are using the GoPro as your flight camera. Are you noticing any issues with latency which affects your FPV flying?
I haven't flown FPV with it yet. But I plan to on the next good day. -- I have aimed the camera at me, and waved my arms up and down and watched on the monitor, and it seems to be virtually immediate. I'm sure there has to be a lag, but it's not enought that my old eyes can tell the difference. I don't see that it could possibly be a factor to effect your flying. -- JOHN
digitalCAM is offline Find More Posts by digitalCAM
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2011, 07:27 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalCAM View Post
I haven't flown FPV with it yet. But I plan to on the next good day. -- I have aimed the camera at me, and waved my arms up and down and watched on the monitor, and it seems to be virtually immediate. I'm sure there has to be a lag, but it's not enought that my old eyes can tell the difference. I don't see that it could possibly be a factor to effect your flying. -- JOHN
John - that's good to know. I'm hoping it is good enough to use for flying, but I ordered one of the 1/3" SONY cams just in case as a backup...

-Steve
ilovefpv is offline Find More Posts by ilovefpv
Old Nov 17, 2011, 10:14 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Always a good day when you get one of these on your doorstep....

-Steve
www.ilovefpv.com
Old Nov 18, 2011, 01:24 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
Only taping for me for FPV planes.
It is strong as glue, and takes 15 mins to put together again. (and 3 to take apart).
I get it, but I'm just wondering exactly what you do.

I would think that a little foam would stick to the tape each time and slowly erode your plane? Do you have two layers of tape? One to protect the plane and another to stick the halves together.

People have said to use 3M Extreme Tape because it sticks so much better than the fiberglass tape you can get at a discount store, but in this case less stick tape might be better?

I guess we all want as much detail as possible because it sounds like a great idea but none of us want to do it wrong and have the halves come apart mid-flight.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Nov 18, 2011, 05:26 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogueqd View Post

I would think that a little foam would stick to the tape each time and slowly erode your plane? Do you have two layers of tape? One to protect the plane and another to stick the halves together.

People have said to use 3M Extreme Tape because it sticks so much better than the fiberglass tape you can get at a discount store, but in this case less stick tape might be better?

I guess we all want as much detail as possible because it sounds like a great idea but none of us want to do it wrong and have the halves come apart mid-flight.
i would avoid 3m extreme tape as i don't think it is uv resistant and becomes brittle in prolonged exposure to sunlight, unless you are prepared to replace the tape often. this tape is probably too extreme anyways

i've used 1" wide electrical tape to tape my plane halves together. i did tape around the fuselage at the nose, near the tail and at the motor mount to ensure the halves cannot separate. no damage when peeling off and it seems to be holding well.
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Last edited by noobee; Nov 18, 2011 at 05:39 AM.
Old Nov 18, 2011, 08:10 AM
Joined Jan 2008
944 Posts
Quote:

A little skin foam comes apart in the first removal, nothing serious and it still stick great. try in on little place if you worry.

I will try to take a video of this in the near future when I will close apart the parts.

I do think an Extreme tape is too much and fiber tape stick excellent - strong enough but not too strong. Thanks for introducing it to me though.

I just opened it and added tracking antenna module, replaced UHF receiver and replaced the 2nd camera (ground camera looking down).

Sharon
sharonx is offline Find More Posts by sharonx
Old Nov 18, 2011, 03:21 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Mar 2002
1,385 Posts
subscribe
doomracing is offline Find More Posts by doomracing
Old Nov 18, 2011, 04:09 PM
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
792 Posts
The fuselage of my Bixler came in one peace, should I need to separate it? I mean to install all the staffs?, I ordered the blubeam whip set antenna from aereal systems, so my final setup will be, 5.8 ghz 200mw, one wing cam and nthe CCD sony cam from HK, the blubeams set antenna. HK OSD combo and the gps module for the returning home (I dont know how to setup this) all is coming, could someone add pictures of the how to install everything into the bixler, especialy the antenna position, and the gps module?

thanks
werner
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck
Old Nov 18, 2011, 09:00 PM
Joined Jun 2011
210 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomracing View Post
subscribe
Welcome! I went to UB and know Cheektowaga well...
Old Nov 19, 2011, 04:15 AM
Quads, 4 times the fun.
Australia, NSW, Brookvale
Joined Apr 2011
731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonx View Post
A little skin foam comes apart in the first removal, nothing serious and it still stick great. try in on little place if you worry.

I will try to take a video of this in the near future when I will close apart the parts.
A video would be nice, but I think I've got the idea now. I was looking at doing it with my plane when one last question occurred to me... How do you stick the rear stabilizer (rudder and elevator) parts on?

LiutaS did the video with the magnets, but I'm not really sure I trust magnets. Sorry LiutaS.
rogueqd is offline Find More Posts by rogueqd
Old Nov 19, 2011, 07:45 AM
Joined Dec 2006
1,443 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arck View Post
The fuselage of my Bixler came in one peace, should I need to separate it? I mean to install all the staffs?, I ordered the blubeam whip set antenna from aereal systems, so my final setup will be, 5.8 ghz 200mw, one wing cam and nthe CCD sony cam from HK, the blubeams set antenna. HK OSD combo and the gps module for the returning home (I dont know how to setup this) all is coming, could someone add pictures of the how to install everything into the bixler, especialy the antenna position, and the gps module?

thanks
werner
sorry i don't have a picture, but you definitely want the option to access the internals of the plane for fpv. the key advantage is that it allows you to arrange stuff inside the fuselage, instead of slapping them all around the outside of the plane, resulting in a much cleaner look.

the gps, osd, vtx, regulators, chokes, esc, rx, servos and batt can be all inside the plane. only the camera is exposed (duh )in the cockpit area and the CL antenna behind the prop. with a 5.8g cl, i think it's even possible to stuff the antenna (upright) inside the plane as well.
noobee is offline Find More Posts by noobee
Old Nov 19, 2011, 09:55 AM
New Beeeeee
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Apr 2011
1,108 Posts
Hi guys,
What would be the next step up for motor? Id like just a bit more. Thanks

Ruben
RUBNorris is online now Find More Posts by RUBNorris
Old Nov 20, 2011, 02:37 AM
Ireland, County Louth, Dundalk
Joined Aug 2010
115 Posts
Quote:
A video would be nice, but I think I've got the idea now. I was looking at doing it with my plane when one last question occurred to me... How do you stick the rear stabilizer (rudder and elevator) parts on?

LiutaS did the video with the magnets, but I'm not really sure I trust magnets. Sorry LiutaS.
Well, its up to everyone how you gona build. Its not only magnets as you seen, carbon stick and elastic band as well holding it all, so there is no chance that it fall apart. I wont trust only magnets as well. My friend tried it first, and it worked fine for him when he was going on holidays to Thailand. So i was following that idea as well, and was surprised how well it stays. You need lot of power to take it apart. And of course, have to get strong magnets.
LiutaS is offline Find More Posts by LiutaS
Old Nov 20, 2011, 12:25 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
What's a good upgrade motor for the Sky Surfer? I have 2 planes and 1 already has the Himax 2200 in it. Flys well for what this plane will do, fpv. The second plane is being built with the wings cut down and will be used for faster flights, aerobatics and dogfights. I've already experimented with the short wings and it flies really nice and precise, so now I need a recommendation on a larger motor and prop???
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Nov 21, 2011, 10:00 AM
I land with enthusiasm
Lima-Peru
Joined Aug 2004
792 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by noobee View Post
sorry i don't have a picture, but you definitely want the option to access the internals of the plane for fpv. the key advantage is that it allows you to arrange stuff inside the fuselage, instead of slapping them all around the outside of the plane, resulting in a much cleaner look......
Thanks, mmmm, It will almost impossible to do that without damaging the plane, What I will do is to install all the best I could as it is to try FPV and will buy the sky surfer for my next proyect with the fuselage in two pieces
werner
Arck is offline Find More Posts by Arck
Last edited by Arck; Nov 21, 2011 at 11:41 AM.