HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 07, 2012, 11:55 AM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Apr 2011
1,574 Posts
@jamesgrid

Glad you got your plane back....and you didn't land in a junk yard with mutant pitbulls

I can't see flying FPV without OSD w/ GPS and RTH.

@turbodriven

Looking a Nova OSD for the price, but do you have any experience with RVOSD (for example) to compare with the more 'expensive' RTH solutions??
idletime is offline Find More Posts by idletime
to remove ads between posts
Old May 07, 2012, 02:53 PM
Joined Dec 2007
307 Posts
Update on gopro at 1.4kg at stock motor - just doesnt work. two batteries, fpv cam, gopro, etc....too much load. it flies....dont turn sharp - use rudder to keep the tail flying round nearly without ailerons. but it doesnt climb at all. X8 should solve that
rsands2801 is offline Find More Posts by rsands2801
Old May 07, 2012, 03:22 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by idletime View Post

@turbodriven

Looking a Nova OSD for the price, but do you have any experience with RVOSD (for example) to compare with the more 'expensive' RTH solutions??
I don't. There are some complaints about how the Nova OSD RTH operates (or doesn't) in certain weather conditions. I personally have never had an issue. But I'm in sunny Florida. The only issue I deal with is the incorrect mah reading. You get used to it. I've kept a spreadsheet and for me it consistently shows about 1/3 of actual usage on the screen. Know your plane and don't over extend and it shouldn't be that large of an issue. Whenever I reach XX mah I usually head home and fly local for the last 100 or so mah I've calculated to be on my pack. I think for the money it's hard to beat. Even with issues. You can find them new for as low as $110.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old May 07, 2012, 03:24 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Nova uses IR, which is only good when there is a good contrast between horizon and ground, and ground is fairly flat.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
Old May 07, 2012, 03:43 PM
100mph club member
NW O-town
Joined Jun 2005
1,653 Posts
Which would explain why it works so well for me here in sunny and flat Florida.
turbodriven is offline Find More Posts by turbodriven
Old May 07, 2012, 03:53 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I live in a mountain area, why I chose FY31AP with it's 3 axis gyros, baro, compass, and temp sensor
Old May 07, 2012, 06:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I live in a mountain area, why I chose FY31AP with it's 3 axis gyros, baro, compass, and temp sensor
I have seen a lot of your posts while roaming rcgroups. The FY31AP was too expensive for me, so I went with the Dragon OSD v2 with GPS and Baro. Hopefully that will be enough for me. I too live in a mountain area but want to fly in many different locations and could not trust the IR setup on Nova. Will let everyone now how well it works once it is all built and flying. But from what I have read it seems to be a good cost effective RTH setup.....?
jamesgid is offline Find More Posts by jamesgid
Old May 07, 2012, 06:22 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Hey Rsands2801, take one of your batteries out and you'll have no problem. You're trying to lug around too much weight!!! Why 2 batteries??? How big???
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old May 07, 2012, 06:33 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Dec 2011
164 Posts
First recorded fpv flight

Hi everyone,

This is my first recorded fpv flight. I launched visually, but after that it was all "under the hood," including landing. The plane was definitely nose-heavy, but it was awesome. This is what I'm using:

Sky Surfer
Futaba 9c and corona receiver
Immersionrc 500mw 2.4 vtx
Airwave 2.4 vrx
Fatshark aviators
Stock rubber ducky on both vtx and vrx.
Keychain #16 for hd recording.

Fpv (3 min 29 sec)
Jcome is offline Find More Posts by Jcome
Old May 07, 2012, 06:42 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesgid View Post
I have seen a lot of your posts while roaming rcgroups. The FY31AP was too expensive for me, so I went with the Dragon OSD v2 with GPS and Baro. Hopefully that will be enough for me. I too live in a mountain area but want to fly in many different locations and could not trust the IR setup on Nova. Will let everyone now how well it works once it is all built and flying. But from what I have read it seems to be a good cost effective RTH setup.....?
I can't really speak for the other OSD's. I didn't want Nova because I feared IR just wasn't good enough, I thought about Dragon but I didn't want to extra equipment of a PWM to PPM converter, and same for RVOSD which is what I wanted the most, though in hindsight it seems RVOSD has problems for some.

Price wise I don't think the FY31AP+Hornet OSD is really that expensive in comparison, at least for any unit with baro/compass/gyros.

I have really been keeping myself from pushing it too hard simply because the FY31AP I had onboard at first had broken pots, and I barely had it working right, I just got a replacement from ReadyMade the other day and got it dialed in and did some tests, so once I get a new antenna for my 1 watt amp (2.4Ghz RC), I am going to push some limits .

I am going to try for 10,000 feet altitude, as well as 4km range, my current records are 2780 feet altitude, and 2.24km range , though both of those flights will be done separately.
Old May 07, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,601 Posts
Quote:
I can't really speak for the other OSD's. I didn't want Nova because I feared IR just wasn't good enough, I thought about Dragon but I didn't want to extra equipment of a PWM to PPM converter, and same for RVOSD which is what I wanted the most, though in hindsight it seems RVOSD has problems for some.

Price wise I don't think the FY31AP+Hornet OSD is really that expensive in comparison, at least for any unit with baro/compass/gyros.

I have really been keeping myself from pushing it too hard simply because the FY31AP I had onboard at first had broken pots, and I barely had it working right, I just got a replacement from ReadyMade the other day and got it dialed in and did some tests, so once I get a new antenna for my 1 watt amp (2.4Ghz RC), I am going to push some limits .

I am going to try for 10,000 feet altitude, as well as 4km range, my current records are 2780 feet altitude, and 2.24km range , though both of those flights will be done separately.
Houston, we have lift off. Please don't hit anything up there.

There is another guidance package called RUBY. It ain't cheap but some of the ZII use it.
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old May 07, 2012, 07:13 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
Houston, we have lift off. Please don't hit anything up there.

There is another guidance package called RUBY. It ain't cheap but some of the ZII use it.
I don't plan to :P Has to wait until I get an antenna anyway, could be a week or two, in the mean time I am stuck to less then 1.5km
Old May 07, 2012, 07:30 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
I don't plan to :P Has to wait until I get an antenna anyway, could be a week or two, in the mean time I am stuck to less then 1.5km
Ha ha, too funny. Stuck at 1.5 km... That is all I need to have a blast scraping the deck.
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old May 07, 2012, 09:12 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,650 Posts
I dunno why but I find flying lower then 20 meters FPV to be quite scarey.... I keep TRYING to skirt around the marsh path that I fly over, but I always chicken out at 20 meters, did it again today.
Old May 07, 2012, 11:29 PM
I need a bigger shed..
Australia, TAS, Launceston
Joined Nov 2011
1,498 Posts
Quote:
I dunno why but I find flying lower then 20 meters FPV to be quite scarey.... I keep TRYING to skirt around the marsh path that I fly over, but I always chicken out at 20 meters, did it again today.
Depends on conditions and plane stability I spose.
Skimming the ground at moderate pace is alright, but add some wind, or if flying fast and it gets a bit wobbly.. better be at least a little crazy lol.
I found it took me a while with the wide view of 2.8mm lens to get used to what altitude im at.
sammyc is offline Find More Posts by sammyc