HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2012, 04:21 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle202 View Post
So about how much would the RVOSD5 and the rangevideo OSD cost?
Well Rvosd5 (osd and autopilot) is $299- but in my opinion it's the best one going-includes reputedly the most accurate IMU/artificial horizon, return to home (essential insurance to have, especially flying fpv long distances), fly by wire stabilization etc- check out http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=135 for more info on rvosd5 & their other fpv products- or get a cheaper osd with rth ike nova osd that bmsweb just posted a video of combined with the amp and patch antenna-rth, especially flying rc frequency at 2.4 ghz IMHO is essential insurance to ensure your investment comes home in one piece
TheSelf is offline Find More Posts by TheSelf
Last edited by TheSelf; Apr 25, 2012 at 04:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSelf View Post
Well Rvosd5 (osd and autopilot) is $299- but in my opinion it's the best one going-includes reputedly the most accurate IMU/artificial horizon, return to home (essential insurance to have, especially flying fpv long distances), fly by wire stabilization etc- check out http://www.rangevideo.com/index.php?...roducts_id=135 for more info on rvosd5 & their other fpv products- or get a cheaper osd with rth ike nova osd that bmsweb just posted a video of combined with the amp and patch antenna-rth, especially flying rc frequency at 2.4 ghz IMHO is essential insurance to ensure your investment comes home in one piece
Thanks for the weblink. That is pretty cool stuff.

Do you know if the FrSky system works well on a Spectrum DX6i TX?
Eagle202 is offline Find More Posts by Eagle202
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:12 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
I use FY31AP and Hornet OSD with no complaints. Though it's configuration is not as complete as RVOSD5 it is just as capable, the IMU and Art. Horizon are pretty good and fast, I do believe it's a little lighter and smaller. Plus RVOSD requires PPM which was the deal breaker for me because I wasn't going to spend another $50 for a PWM to PPM board.

I haven't had to rely on it yet, but I have tested my RTH quite a few times and it always comes right back to me, plus now that I have this new motor and prop and have gotten rid of vibrations I will really push the limits, my next flight I plan to climb until I have used up 2000mah of my 2700mah battery and see how high up I can get, I am guesstimating 6000 to 9000 feet, then see how long it takes to glide back down, I also plan to do a flight where I just go straight until RTH totally kicks in :P.
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:20 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalMatCat View Post
I use FY31AP and Hornet OSD with no complaints. Though it's configuration is not as complete as RVOSD5 it is just as capable, the IMU and Art. Horizon are pretty good and fast, I do believe it's a little lighter and smaller. Plus RVOSD requires PPM which was the deal breaker for me because I wasn't going to spend another $50 for a PWM to PPM board.

I haven't had to rely on it yet, but I have tested my RTH quite a few times and it always comes right back to me, plus now that I have this new motor and prop and have gotten rid of vibrations I will really push the limits, my next flight I plan to climb until I have used up 2000mah of my 2700mah battery and see how high up I can get, I am guesstimating 6000 to 9000 feet, then see how long it takes to glide back down, I also plan to do a flight where I just go straight until RTH totally kicks in :P.
I see the value (and cost) of the RVOSD system. I'm nowhere near purchasing anything but I would like to start setting up a compare list with pros and cons when I finally pull the trigger on FPV.

Good luck with your new motor. Hope you make you height goal. As for the flying until the RTH kicks in. You may want to put a GPS tracker on that thing in case you lose power and it get lost.

Too bad no one has come up with an easy way to have a reserve battery kick in when the primary gets low. Now that would be something that might sell.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:27 PM
Better then Sliced Bread!
United States, CA, Arcata
Joined Oct 2011
2,568 Posts
Quote:
I see the value (and cost) of the RVOSD system. I'm nowhere near purchasing anything but I would like to start setting up a compare list with pros and cons when I finally pull the trigger on FPV.

Good luck with your new motor. Hope you make you height goal. As for the flying until the RTH kicks in. You may want to put a GPS tracker on that thing in case you lose power and it get lost.

Too bad no one has come up with an easy way to have a reserve battery kick in when the primary gets low. Now that would be something that might sell.
It has GPS, plus I record my video transmission. I did lose motor the other day (because of RX plug for ESC coming lose) about 1.2km out and only at about 120 meters altitude, but I managed to come to an ok emergency landing only 200 meters away from myself.

There is always a risk, I could have a bird unexpectedly attack me, a freak gust of wind, mechanical failure, anything COULD go wrong, so I minus just well push the limits and hope all works out .
NorCalMatCat is offline Find More Posts by NorCalMatCat
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: (B)ixler-28 Maiden
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:29 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the weblink. That is pretty cool stuff.

Do you know if the FrSky system works well on a Spectrum DX6i TX?
I don't know personally - but I just checked the Frsky 7dbi patch product discussion page and someonr confirmed this fit does spektrum antennas- and someone else with a dx6i asked if it will fit onto it and someone replied to say only if you fabricate a new connector cable- and make the SMA connector mod- which can be done by googling subject- might be worth reading the discussion page and doing more research- obviously as it's a patch antenna- it is directional and would mean you would have to keep it pointed towards your aircraft all the time
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:56 AM
FPV in Hawaii
United States, HI, Kailua
Joined Feb 2012
2,091 Posts
Quote:

RVOSD has an aux battery feature. It will drain from the battery with highest voltage.
iskess is offline Find More Posts by iskess
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
I don't know personally - but I just checked the Frsky 7dbi patch product discussion page and someonr confirmed this fit does spektrum antennas- and someone else with a dx6i asked if it will fit onto it and someone replied to say only if you fabricate a new connector cable- and make the SMA connector mod- which can be done by googling subject- might be worth reading the discussion page and doing more research- obviously as it's a patch antenna- it is directional and would mean you would have to keep it pointed towards your aircraft all the time
Thanks. I do not really want to dive into my Spektrum and do something that would void and support that would give me.

I guess I will just wait until I can build up my funds to get a used Futaba or JR.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iskess View Post
RVOSD has an aux battery feature. It will drain from the battery with highest voltage.
That would help. I was thinking more of a stand-by fully charged battery that would become the power source and have the almost drained battery taken out of the circuit.

I figured a heavy duty relay or very small contactor controlled automatically from a Low Voltage alarm or manually using a aux output on the receiver.

This would be the same circuit used in power backup systems fed from two different sources. If the primary source failed or hit a trigger point the secondary would be put into the circuit and take over.

Just thinking out loud.
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:00 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
anyone here got any feedback on how to cut access hatches in either the side or the belly of the fuse as some you have done, but without messing with the pushrods on the sides or carbon fiber rod along the belly? thanks-otherwise I'm thinking of possibly screw the halves together with nylon screws/bolts, with double sided tape in between- instead of glue or even magnets- for east re-access to the 'innards' as well as possibly creating an access hatch, but don't want to have to mess with the push rods or carbon fiber rod..
Old Apr 26, 2012, 07:06 PM
Los Angeles, CA
Joined Jan 2011
340 Posts
Quote:
Thanks. I do not really want to dive into my Spektrum and do something that would void and support that would give me.

I guess I will just wait until I can build up my funds to get a used Futaba or JR.
here's a thread on someone who tried it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523224

otherwise you can still try boosting/amplifying your spektrum transmission: http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...ost-your-24ghz
Old Apr 26, 2012, 08:04 PM
Joined Aug 2011
1,573 Posts
Quote:
here's a thread on someone who tried it:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1523224

otherwise you can still try boosting/amplifying your spektrum transmission: http://www.diydrones.com/profiles/bl...ost-your-24ghz
That second link looks interesting. Thanks
Old Apr 26, 2012, 09:17 PM
United States, NY, Wappingers Falls
Joined Jun 2011
578 Posts
Just read the second link myself and find it very interesting also. But the comments are all from 2009???
Maddmax is offline Find More Posts by Maddmax
Old Apr 27, 2012, 07:28 AM
Me a long time ago
London N.E. UK
Joined Jan 2007
5,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
Just read the second link myself and find it very interesting also. But the comments are all from 2009???
My gawd, don't time fly when you'r having fun.
Flypoppa is online now Find More Posts by Flypoppa
Old Apr 27, 2012, 09:37 AM
Flying FPV or Dreaming I Am...
United States, CO, Durango
Joined Sep 2001
6,073 Posts
Daemon put together a few clips of my Sky Surfer from the CO FPV meet last weekend. We had bumpy air most of the time, but having a roll gyro helped take the work load off me correcting for cross wind gusts.

2012 FPV FPV Meet - Sky Surfer chases bike (3 min 4 sec)
cactus is online now Find More Posts by cactus
Last edited by cactus; Apr 27, 2012 at 03:46 PM.