HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by argo-2, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:57 AM
Maiden>Confident>Cocky>Crash!
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Build Log
Floater Jet Prep

This blog entry will pretty much be just photos before I maiden. As always happy to answer any questions!

Cheers and good flying to all.

A windy maiden (not the best of ideas but I got tired of waiting!):
argo-2's Floater Jet maiden flight (in the wind) (2 min 24 sec)

Some more windy flying (groan!):
Untitled (1 min 1 sec)

A nice day at last so a short vid of takeoff (with ER9X flip-flop up-elevator - see forum for info), couple of flybys and not particularly fantastic landing. I ran out of park so ended up doing a double-back!
FJ in Park. (0 min 56 sec)

2nd battery, same day:
FJ - Nice day, 2nd flight. (2 min 26 sec)
argo-2 is offline Find More Posts by argo-2
Last edited by argo-2; Dec 11, 2011 at 12:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:12 AM
United States, GA, Atlanta
Joined Aug 2011
553 Posts
That's a sweet piece of kit. How did you make the carbon nose/belly skid?
seojeff is offline Find More Posts by seojeff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 04, 2011, 04:12 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Hi seojeff, thanks for dropping by

I talked briefly about it here:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=8540

Fairly simple process, in short I:
  • Marked the EPO nose area with masking tape where I wanted the edges of the shield to be. This showed through the glass easily, but not through the CF
  • Wrapped the nose (area to be glassed) of the FloaterJet in Glad Wrap as tightly as I could without tearing it (that thin clingy plastic film sandwich wrap stuff)
  • Fibreglassed over the top of the Glad Wrap with 30gsm glass fibre and epoxy fibreglass resin
  • Very carefully removed the wrap when cured, the Glad Wrap worked well as a mould-release!
  • Sanded glass smooth and then put wrap back on plane (masked exposed areas)
  • Carbonfibred over GF wrap with 180gsm CF
  • Removed, sanded again
  • Floated a last resin coat on as a 'clear coat'.

Resulting CF/GF wrap (I call it my "crash/bash shield") weighs in at 26gms and complements the weight of my 1800mAH 3S. I still put 8gms of lead in the nose to get CG on the spar. The glassfibre was just to make a male-mould and as the GF was only 30gsm after sanding it was like mylar in both thickness and stiffness. The strength is all in the CF, plus the fact the nose is a compound curve.

Must admit it took some time, but its tough as nails and looks good as a bonus. The sanding in the list above is understated, there was quite a bit of 'quality time' spent with the abrasive stuff and a cork block. The CF was wet-sanded.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:03 PM
New Zealand
Joined Feb 2010
558 Posts
Should probably add that another reason for using the glassfibre (other than this was an experiment and GF is 1/10 the price of CF) was that with the plastic film release, there were wrinkles in the nose in the resulting GF male-mould. These were easily sanded out (on the outside, left them on the inside as they are not seen). If I'd just gone for CF-only, not only would this be much stiffer and therefore harder to release from the foam, but also the plastic film release wrinkles would have shown through the CF.

Cheers!