Old Dec 26, 2011, 08:36 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbuilder View Post
Sounds great. Congrats -- I know you were worried 'bout that.
Sure was, didn't make sense - but I'm glad it's not happening now that I can tell so far.

Quote:
Just a thought -- if you connect the SLOGGER between the BEC and the RX, would it log the net current load of all the servos?
This is correct; obviously the downside is you get no servo pulse data of course.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 27, 2011, 05:29 AM
'da Range
Joined Nov 2003
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modbuilder View Post
Sounds great. Congrats -- I know you were worried 'bout that.

Just a thought -- if you connect the SLOGGER between the BEC and the RX, would it log the net current load of all the servos?
see Post 11,, I think this is the same thing. that's how I'm going to use it to assess my source power.
JrcSeller is offline Find More Posts by JrcSeller
Old Dec 27, 2011, 02:31 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrcSeller View Post
see Post 11,, I think this is the same thing. that's how I'm going to use it to assess my source power.
Yeah, I kinda thought that's what you were describing, but I wasn't sure. I current plan to start out with a static check of the total and individuals before the maiden on a new plane, then an in-flight check of the total load without much stress on the servos. If all still looks good, see about the total load with my limited aerobatic/3D and some higher speed stuff to make sure I have a robust set up with everything new. Then move on to getting individual servo in-flight data to look for differences among them and get a baseline of data when everything is as good as it can be. Then as time goes by, and uh-oh's happen, I'll have a baseline from which to evaluate whether a servo is still up to the task. What're your plans for it?
modbuilder is offline Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Dec 29, 2011, 02:57 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
While the new design alleviates the "reset" problem it still isn't lasting long-enough during a brownout to keep logging, so I'm putting a 100uF cap on to the backside of the board to give it about 0.5s of life during a brown-out event, the downside of course is that it makes things a bit bulky.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:00 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
While the new design alleviates the "reset" problem it still isn't lasting long-enough during a brownout to keep logging, so I'm putting a 100uF cap on to the backside of the board to give it about 0.5s of life during a brown-out event, the downside of course is that it makes things a bit bulky.
Good trade off considering that brown outs are a key moment to have data.

Happy New Year................. R
Old Jan 02, 2012, 08:03 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Software/firmware choice here.... I am wondering if I should pre-convert the raw data into meaningful units before sending it out over the serial dump, eg, 231 32 99 gets converted to 5.1V 2.1A 990us, or just pump the raw data out and let the software on the PC do the conversion.

Pros of converting before sending:
* Allows me to change the raw storage in the future without needing to update the PC software or worry about versions
* Allows you to load the data into any stats/graphing program

Cons:
* Increases the firmware size (though fortunately I've not run out)
* Takes a lot longer to send the data from the logger to the PC
Old Jan 03, 2012, 11:13 AM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
Software/firmware choice here.... I am wondering if I should pre-convert the raw data into meaningful units before sending it out over the serial dump, eg, 231 32 99 gets converted to 5.1V 2.1A 990us, or just pump the raw data out and let the software on the PC do the conversion.

Pros of converting before sending:
* Allows me to change the raw storage in the future without needing to update the PC software or worry about versions
* Allows you to load the data into any stats/graphing program

Cons:
* Increases the firmware size (though fortunately I've not run out)
* Takes a lot longer to send the data from the logger to the PC
Hi Paul -- I'm all for convert before sending. Longer time to off-load the data to the PC is not an issue for me. Just my $.02 .
Old Jan 03, 2012, 01:53 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,696 Posts
I second modbuilder.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is offline Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Jan 09, 2012, 05:51 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Hi Paul -- Any good news on SLOGGER?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Yo Paul. -- feed me.......R
Old Jan 12, 2012, 05:27 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Hiya folks, just dealing with a family death at the moment (last couple of weeks) but I'll be back soon (Monday) as the last of the things that have to be done is finished off today.

It's okay, I'm not "in mourning" as such, rather there's just a lot of other things that have had to be done outside of one's normal routines.

Paul.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 07:51 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Apologies for adding to the pressure. Hope you and your family are OK.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
No, really, it's okay - it's just thrown a spanner in the schedule of things - I'm quite fine; my role was more of a supportive/utility one. Just wanted to give you guys a reassurance I wasn't forgetting about you.

I was working on the program to do the displaying of the data - writing it in OpenPascal + Lazarus (think "Delphi" ), at least that's how it's looking for now.
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:22 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
These folks need a SLOGGER.

Check out this recent thread. This kind of thing is on a lot of folks minds:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1581767
Old Jan 26, 2012, 09:27 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
How would you feel if I got the SLOGGER out, dumping raw serial data, and then worked on the viewing app? The data can actually be turned into graphs via Excel or gnuplot already.

At times I think it might have been easier to make this unit with a microSD card instead.