HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:25 AM
'da Range
Joined Nov 2003
253 Posts
If I connected one of these in line to my battery, will I be able to see how that particular battery behaves supplying current/voltage to my install? In particular, I'm interested in getting an answer as to whether a 4 cell eneloop AA pack can handle my needs in my older plane. Of course, there won't be any pulse width signal.
JrcSeller is offline Find More Posts by JrcSeller
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 12, 2011, 06:30 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
The unit would still pick up a pulse signal, as it's used for timing the sampling (synchronising with peak servo movements), however you can ignore it of course. It would indeed work for your planned application.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:43 AM
'da Range
Joined Nov 2003
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PLD View Post
The unit would still pick up a pulse signal,

Paul.
There are only two wires from the battery.. no signal. Where would it get the pulse signal.

Thanx.
JrcSeller is offline Find More Posts by JrcSeller
Old Dec 12, 2011, 08:48 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Oh Sorry, my wrong there, I was thinking you were going to plug the unit into a spare channel/slot on the RX ( I see you did say battery in your thread, I misread). I need to adapt the firmware slightly to make it change to no-servo logging if it doesn't detect a signal within 10 seconds of startup.

Paul.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:31 AM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Hi Paul -- just staying in touch for progress on the SLOGGER. I don't see any updates, so I'm guessing you're still waiting for replacement boards. Did you ever really get a handle on the rebooting problem, or was this a SWAG with hope?
modbuilder is online now Find More Posts by modbuilder
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:36 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
The decoupling did help the reboot sitation, but it's all rather a bit too strange, there's no reason for the unit to reboot on such minor wiggles on the rails. New boards should be here soon. I'm thinking of sending the rest of your gear out this week rather than holding everything else up - that way at least you get some Christmas presents!
Old Dec 13, 2011, 07:53 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Goodies are always welcome/fun. I'm also good to get it all at once, so suit yourself. I have lots going on, so I'm not being held up waiting. Hang in there..................... R
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:10 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
BTW -- regarding your path toward tools to diagnose control system issues:

I spent the afternoon helping a buddy pull a motor glider out of a tree about 60 ft up. I've only been in this hobby for ~3 years, and I can't even count all the loss-of-control crashes I've had/seen/worked. He was flying along fine on a major brand 2.4 GHz radio, then it lost all control. It circled the field about 2 minutes with no control response, then took off for the tallest tree. No control reestablished that whole time, but control surfaces responded fine when it got back on the ground. I'm just know that I can find these weaknesses/faults, etc before they crash a plane. It's just a matter of the right tools/techniques (?) There's no sicker feeling than watching a plane crash with no control response.
Old Dec 13, 2011, 08:18 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
That's something that always confounds me.... how the gear starts to suddenly work after the crash

If there wasn't a physical weak point before the crash that caused the issue, there sure will be now
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
New PCBs just arrived.... will build one up tonight.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:05 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Old Dec 24, 2011, 09:37 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Merry Christmas Paul

........... R
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
Thanks Melting here in the heat and humidity - thank goodness for efficient split-system air conditioning.
Old Dec 25, 2011, 03:38 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,398 Posts
New logger boards are working - got one running a test now, isn't dropping out or doing strange things like the previous ones *phew*.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 07:11 PM
KJ4WFG
United States, SC, York
Joined Dec 2007
566 Posts
Sounds great. Congrats -- I know you were worried 'bout that.

Just a thought -- if you connect the SLOGGER between the BEC and the RX, would it log the net current load of all the servos?