Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Aug 23, 2012, 07:51 PM
Warriors
United States, MI, Farmington Hills
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Thats kinda what i'd like to try with your Biplane , with some carbon down the middle .

You might wanna check out Freddie B's threads http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=32 rubber cement works well
Thanks Wilfor for pointing out to that post. Rubber cement is cheaper. Thats why I wanted to go for that. Also many Banana Hobby planes are glued with Rubber cement
anantken is offline Find More Posts by anantken
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:31 AM
Warriors
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Nice looking plane David, did u try finding the Decals for polaris online somewhere..
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:32 AM
Warriors
Joined Apr 2012
69 Posts
Nice looking plane David, did u try finding the Decals for polaris online somewhere..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
My first scratchbuild in 30 years and my first Foamy (and it's made from from MPF)... a Polaris Seaplane. I'm very satisfied with the product.

Next... a Cartoon C-119 based on a toy I received for Christmas in 1963. It will be my first build thread...
Old Aug 24, 2012, 10:36 AM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
You might wanna check out Freddie B's threads http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...3&postcount=32 rubber cement works well
Thanks for the link! As I said, I wasn't sure about the solvents in rubber cement, now I know that at least the Elmers brand works. Interesting!

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Aug 24, 2012, 01:41 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,428 Posts
An interesting sidelight on the adhesive ideas is what my older Aussie Bro has used: water based urethane varnish! He has applied it to one surface of an area to be laminated and laid the other on, set under weights and within a few hours gets a bond as good as gorilla glue, without the foaming. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to and will report how it works with MPF>
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 05:51 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,043 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
An interesting sidelight on the adhesive ideas is what my older Aussie Bro has used: water based urethane varnish! He has applied it to one surface of an area to be laminated and laid the other on, set under weights and within a few hours gets a bond as good as gorilla glue, without the foaming. I haven't tried it yet, but plan to and will report how it works with MPF>
He's probably applying the varnish to the bottom sheet so make sure you apply your to the top sheet . We know everything he does down there is upside down .. Or is it backwards?
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Aug 24, 2012, 07:42 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,428 Posts
He told me it's all old wives tales, that even the drains run the same way as ours!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 24, 2012, 09:34 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,149 Posts
The only thing around here that goes backwards is time.
When I VOIP Springer on my Monday morning it's his Sunday afternoon.

And yep, the polyurethane varnish is a good foam glue. For laminating I leave it overnight to set.
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Aug 24, 2012, 11:33 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Of course, WBPU is the "paint" of choice for priming EPS foams, too. The stuff adheres like there's no tomorrow and makes for a fine base to accept all kinds of other paints. Look around on this board for discussions about priming and painting foam and you'll see lots of mention of WBPU.

WBPU is also used as a low cost, low weight method for "glassing" EPS using fiberglass weave or lightweight nylon sheer curtain material. It's a lot easier and less messy than the real thing with epoxy and vacuum bagging, etc.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:47 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,363 Posts
10mm MPF, coming up

Immediately after putting these two pieces together, with the Elmer's still wet between them, this 11" x 39" piece of laminated MPF felt very stiff and strong. I'm in no hurry, and I know Elmer's takes a long time to dry when it isn't exposed to air, so I'll give it at least a week before I cut it into a wing for one of my biplanes.

I'll also make a 6mm Depron wing for comparison. I want to see how the 10mm MPF wing, with an 8mm carbon fiber spar in it, compares to the Depron I've always been using. I'll tape both wings up with Scotch heavy-duty clear packaging tape, like I always do, and compare stiffness and weight.

My first impression, though, is that this is going to work, and it's stiffness may make it a very viable alternative to the material I've made so many planes out of.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, MI, Middleville
Joined Mar 2012
86 Posts
dear springer, i live in grand rapids mi and i was wondering if there was a place i could pick up the new model airplane foam instead of having it shipped, i am interested in a bundle.
pwg212 is offline Find More Posts by pwg212
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:41 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,428 Posts
Pwg: unfortunately I think we got all they made. So east side of the state is the only place to get it. Adams doesn't sell any retail as far as I know. We could arrange a pickup if you happen to be over this way I suppose.
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:12 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,524 Posts
Laminating is king when it comes to stiffening a soft material, Mike. I am starting to make my profile fuselages out of MPF now because it has the great features of being both forgiving and ultimately, strong enough to handle the long term stresses of wickedly agile sport planes. No more Smarty Pants breaking in half in midair!
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 01, 2012, 10:53 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,762 Posts
Cartoon C-119 Flying Boxcar

My 95% MPF Cartoon C-119, based on a toy I received for Christmas in 1965, is ready for it's first flight.

The only other material in the airframe was a few square inches of $Tree used to make replacement rudders, and only because it was ready to hand, when I had to make repairs after flubbing the installation of the control horns in the MPF originals.

The build thread is at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1703405

Thanks!
David
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 02, 2012, 10:55 AM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,363 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Laminating is king when it comes to stiffening a soft material...
I just checked on it. The Elmer's is starting to set up, and the piece is feeling really stiff.

I'll still give it a full week before I work on it, but it looks very encouraging.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus