HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:46 PM
Medicinal Foam User
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
3,913 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
There is an easy fix for that!
Yah , Don will get Adams to resize all sheets to 24x47 1/2 from now on just for you DG
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:48 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
669 Posts
Slowly moving Into a new house, so I haven't unpacked my big straightedge and utility knife yet, but when I do, I'll have plenty of 1/2 in doublers for Shumate ParkJets. LOL
DesignGeek is offline Find More Posts by DesignGeek
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Sunday afternoon Parkjet fun
Old Jun 09, 2012, 05:50 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
669 Posts
Thanks Wilfor! That'll be great.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 10, 2012, 11:47 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignGeek View Post
...MPF...doesn't quite fit cleanly into my flat file cabinet.
Well, at least you've found a use for those cabinets. Vellum is an endangered species these days.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Vellum is an endangered species these days.
Yeah because I'm using it for hinge stock in all my foamie scratch builds.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jun 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Yeah because I'm using it for hinge stock in all my foamie scratch builds.

Fred
So you bought all that up too and have it stashed in your collection .lmao joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Jun 11, 2012, 03:22 PM
DESIGNOSAUR
United States, MI, Wixom
Joined Jun 2002
669 Posts
I like the Matte finish drafting mylar for hinges, We used to have it sitting around by the 100ft roll in the office. Not anymore.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 11, 2012, 04:52 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesignGeek View Post
I like the Matte finish drafting mylar for hinges, We used to have it sitting around by the 100ft roll in the office. Not anymore.
You must have learned from freddie also ,i know he talked me into snagging free fanfold off of my jobsites. joe
Old Jun 11, 2012, 06:54 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cracksmeup View Post
You must have learned from freddie also ,i know he talked me into snagging free fanfold off of my jobsites. joe
I Did Not start everyone on hording, comadering, acqusitions, or any other clandestine operations......... BUT I am ok with that and I can take the blame, I have big shoulders......

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Jun 12, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Nov 2009
11 Posts
Foam Tac/Fabri Tac/3-in-1

Hi Guys,
Karen here from Beacon Adhesives
Foam Tac is definitely not the same as either 3-in-1 or Fabri Tac. All 3 are solvent based glues, but Foam Tac does NOT contain acetone. Acetone eats foam. Foam Tac was specifically formulated for Depron and other types of foam as it will not dissolve polystyrene.

Of the three, only Fabri Tac is available at Wal Mart. Others are available at many chain and hobby stores and the internet, or through us (but I don't want to make this into an advertisement).

If any of you have glue based questions, we have a resident Glueologist who will be happy to answer.
Karenbeacon is offline Find More Posts by Karenbeacon
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:49 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,506 Posts
Thank you, Karen. Stay tuned, because there will no doubt be more questions of this type to come up in this thread.

And as others have pointed out, the use of Fabri-Tac and 3-in-1 are proper for gluing EPS foam if you know what you're doing. The easiest way to get a feel for how to use these very versatile adhesives is to experiment with them for yourself. For instance, I have found that Fabri-Tac can be thinned way down with denatured alcohol to get an adhesive that will penetrate cracks and such for repairs. It's also good for applying to EPP and EPE to get some glue into the "pores" of the foam, then apply full viscosity Fabri-Tac to get the maximum strength bond.

Y'all need to mess with these adhesives some to get familiar with their characteristics. We can share what we know, but empirical wisdom collected through personal experience has no equal.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Jun 12, 2012, 02:57 PM
Joined Jun 2009
3,229 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenbeacon View Post
Hi Guys,
Foam Tac is definitely not the same as either 3-in-1 or Fabri Tac. All 3 are solvent based glues, but Foam Tac does NOT contain acetone. Acetone eats foam. Foam Tac was specifically formulated for Depron and other types of foam as it will not dissolve polystyrene.

Of the three, only Fabri Tac is available at Wal Mart. Others are available at many chain and hobby stores and the internet, or through us (but I don't want to make this into an advertisement).

If any of you have glue based questions, we have a resident Glueologist who will be happy to answer.
Thanks for the reply Karen ,Tell your glueologist to get to work finding better glues for just us . lol joe
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:52 PM
Flying Models for 51 Years!
Georgia, United States
Joined Oct 2002
764 Posts
Karen Thanks for taking time to explain the difference between the Beacon Adhesives. I was going to try the Fabric Tac from Wally World, but because of your reply I ordered a bottle of the Beacon Foam Tac

Thanks
Bobby
Sixter is offline Find More Posts by Sixter
Old Jun 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
118 Posts
I could not find foam-tac locally here in Canada, but I saw fabri-tac and figured I'd give it a go. Nope, as Karen says, it melts the foam in the joint. It occurs rather slowly so inspecting the joint visually, it looks good, but if you break it open, there's a nasty hollow in both parts.

I just checked and see that I can at least order foam-tac via Ebay, something to keep in mind if you live "North" of the border.

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Jun 12, 2012, 04:36 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karenbeacon View Post
Hi Guys,

A glueologist. Very interesting i wonder if they have a high tolerance to glue fumes so it makes them better suited for the job.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420