HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,379 Posts
wow i didn't know that. i going to have to try it.
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 25, 2012, 11:38 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Great tip.
Thanks!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:14 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jun 2005
4 Posts
How do I get on the wait list?

I'm a little late to the party. How do I get on the wait list or know when the next shipment will be in to place an order?

Del Nebeker
dnebeker is offline Find More Posts by dnebeker
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:35 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Maybe Fred has an idea of how to do this...I spent some time searching the forums to no avail. I'd like to form the foam in two axis at once so as to create a kind of "push-up bubble" in the wing pan.

My Lunatic prototype was built with PBIII wings that happened to come from a sheet having curvature in both axis. This was simple, purest luck that the curvature was regular and even enough that I could cut two wings of sufficient symmetry that the plane went together perfectly. See pics. However, my luck ran out after that one sheet (!) and I haven't been able to reproduce that effect again.

I've spent a lot of time with the heat gun on various materials trying to get a dome shape curved into my wings. Any idiot (well, me) can get a panel to curve in one direction or the other. The trick here is to get it to bend in both X and Y axis simultaneously. This has proven impossible for me.

Any ideas?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Apr 25, 2012, 01:55 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Maybe Fred has an idea of how to do this...I spent some time searching the forums to no avail. I'd like to form the foam in two axis at once so as to create a kind of "push-up bubble" in the wing pan.

My Lunatic prototype was built with PBIII wings that happened to come from a sheet having curvature in both axis. This was simple, purest luck that the curvature was regular and even enough that I could cut two wings of sufficient symmetry that the plane went together perfectly. See pics. However, my luck ran out after that one sheet (!) and I haven't been able to reproduce that effect again.

I've spent a lot of time with the heat gun on various materials trying to get a dome shape curved into my wings. Any idiot (well, me) can get a panel to curve in one direction or the other. The trick here is to get it to bend in both X and Y axis simultaneously. This has proven impossible for me.

Any ideas?
i know when you pull the paper off one side of the foam board it will cause this same "bubble" effect you are looking to replicate. maybe you can do some tests like adding a newspaper skin on one side then let it dry with no pressure to hold it flat and it may give you the same effect that you get when you pull the paper from one side of the foam board.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:08 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnebeker View Post
I'm a little late to the party. How do I get on the wait list or know when the next shipment will be in to place an order?

Del Nebeker
To order go to www.modelplanefoam.com Order now to be sure of getting the first of the new shipment.

For information on arrival of the next batch and availability stay tuned to this thread.

Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:12 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Actually, Chad, I've tried pulling the paper from foam board and the skin from FFF and a number of other things and I can't get the effect reproduced. The "vapor barrier" film has little to do with the shape of the foam itself, apparently. But there's gotta be a way...Perhaps your idea with letting the wet paper shrink might do it. Worth a try.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:20 PM
Psalms 23:4
Goshen, IN, USA
Joined Nov 2010
267 Posts
What about covering with paper, propping the edges up on several 2X4s, and weighting the middle? You'd have to be careful to not dent the foam though.
miniprinter96 is offline Find More Posts by miniprinter96
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:27 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
Hmm. I'd have to try that with some pre-cut panels and see if I can get the curvature I want. If so that might become a construction method. Gonna take time to get the proper weight and heat combo to form the material.

Oh, yeah, this would have to be done under heat, methinks, otherwise the foam would eventually relax back into its original flat shape. Or am I missing something?
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:42 PM
Psalms 23:4
Goshen, IN, USA
Joined Nov 2010
267 Posts
Heat would definitely be useful to maintain the shape. Let us know how it goes!
miniprinter96 is offline Find More Posts by miniprinter96
Old Apr 25, 2012, 02:58 PM
Chad
United States, CA, Cathedral City
Joined Dec 2010
1,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Actually, Chad, I've tried pulling the paper from foam board and the skin from FFF and a number of other things and I can't get the effect reproduced. The "vapor barrier" film has little to do with the shape of the foam itself, apparently. But there's gotta be a way...Perhaps your idea with letting the wet paper shrink might do it. Worth a try.
when i pull the paper from one side of $tree foam the whole sheet will bow on both x and y axis I have done this on several occasions with the same result. you only pull the paper from one side and the tension from the paper on the other side will cause the bubble. Maybe its just the dry heat we have here in southern california that keeps the paper nice and dry on the other side

and yeah i believe the wet paper shrinking should work. because the guys that use the newspaper to cover wings and such are very carefull not to stretch the wet newspaper too much because after it dries it does just what you are trying to do.
TheOne420 is offline Find More Posts by TheOne420
Old Apr 25, 2012, 03:35 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAeronut View Post
Are you going to try FedEx or USPS shipping alternative to Universal Parcel Smashers? Have you researched the cost of those alternatives and if so, how much more?

Order #32, UPS demolition test case #1...

J.P.
Universal Parcel Smashers LMAO
Funny but unfortunately true

they try to put the blame off on the conveyor systems at the sorting facilitys but I have been to a UPS sorting facility and have witnessed first hand how the workers abuse the packages getting them from the truck to the routing conveyors.
that is why I ship fedX if a package is too big fto send VIA USPS.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:57 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
RT,

That compound curve you are looking for is very cool indeed. Sort of bird like. The issue is that your spherical shape is pretty shallow. My solution would be to have a dome shaped sandwich that could be placed in the oven. It could be metal, wood, fiberglass, etc, but problem would be to find a domed pattern to start with. It could be cast from a ball shaped object, but you would need a huge ball 10-15 feet in diameter? Maybe somewhere a platter or such could be found. Wish Instill worked in the machine shop, a talanted sheet metal worker could pound and form a master probably from aluminum.

Darn now you have me thinking..........

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Apr 25, 2012, 08:09 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,384 Posts
FYI,
We now have an account with Fedex. So we will see.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 25, 2012, 09:17 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
RT,

That compound curve you are looking for is very cool indeed. Sort of bird like. The issue is that your spherical shape is pretty shallow. My solution would be to have a dome shaped sandwich that could be placed in the oven. It could be metal, wood, fiberglass, etc, but problem would be to find a domed pattern to start with. It could be cast from a ball shaped object, but you would need a huge ball 10-15 feet in diameter? Maybe somewhere a platter or such could be found. Wish Instill worked in the machine shop, a talanted sheet metal worker could pound and form a master probably from aluminum.

Darn now you have me thinking..........

Fred
Fred I am totally lost aparently I have slept since the last time we talked about compound curves
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan