HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:47 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
Tim, you need to look into using a KF step on your wings to possibly avoid the use of spars as stiffeners. Lots of folks on this board have taken up the habit of laminating layers together as a means of stiffening wings and adding a simple, cheap, quick airfoil. This thread will get you started. The easiest thing is to follow the images until you see something you like, then pick up the text of the thread through the backlink.

-- Marty, Promoter of All Things KF --
Have a look at this threadhttp://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632419

Notice the date of the first post!

Blue Skies............................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:52 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,324 Posts
Lets remember Tim's purpose here. He uses foam as means to a quick low cost test of the planform (finding CG, or any inherent instability or control issues) with the purpose of building a balsa ship. He is not into foamies really, at least not like the rest of us nuts.

Ken

Okay, I stand corrected. He's been there, done that. Sorry Tim!
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 23, 2012, 01:59 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Tim
I like the first one. Where did the CG come out on the glide test?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD View Post
The first one has an 18inch wingspan. It was made in a few minutes, cutting parts with a small utility knife, because I was to lazy to get an exacto knife in the next room, as fast as I could and using Hot melt glue to hold it together.1/4 inch balsa spars in wings and bottom of fuselage. Yes they stick up a little, but I don't care.Laminating 3 layers sure made the forward fuselage strong ! The purpose of this chuckie was to see if those small elevons at the wing tips would act like elevators on a flying wing. Apparently they do! This little plane has a 1942ish flavor and thats what I'm after. Looks like if this was made a little larger it might make a nice sport plane.

Blue Skies..........................Tim
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Apr 23, 2012, 02:13 PM
Registered FFF Addict
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Dec 2007
2,930 Posts
Yup... I'b be interested in that build when he starts it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
1/4 scale huh? So a 747 has a wingspan of between 198 and 224 Feet.. that means your wing will be around 50 feet.

Should be a nice

I don't think that much MPF has even been made yet.
larryross is offline Find More Posts by larryross
Old Apr 24, 2012, 05:15 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWCLOUD View Post
Notice the date of the first post!
Coolness. Somebody who was hip to the KF before it "caught on" in the R/C community. I squat corrected, sir.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:08 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,527 Posts
New Foam coming soon!

Great News! The manufacturer has completed testing and expects to schedule our next production run in the next few days. For those who have been waiting this is a good time to submit your order to assure you will get one of the first boxes of MPF from the new shipment.

For all international shipments and those who might be interested in quantities that warrent freight shipments send us an email and we will try to get you a quote.

Hopefully we will now be able to order additional foam in time to keep from running out of stock.
bz1mcr is online now Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Last edited by bz1mcr; Apr 24, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:24 PM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,017 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Great News! The manufacturer has completed tasting...
MPF is edible as well??! BONUS! (Sorry, couldn't resist)... Seriously though - what will be different about the new production run? Has the formulation changed? Because I am loving the "mix" from the first shipment - glues (fabric tac, Super77), sands, cuts, and bends perfectly. I will definitely reorder, but do I need to set aside a few sheets from the first run before ordering the new stuff?
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:51 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,527 Posts
Customers already on the list for the new MPF

All back orders for Model Plane foam have now been shipped.
Last edited by bz1mcr; May 05, 2012 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Update
Old Apr 24, 2012, 07:56 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNice View Post
MPF is edible as well??! BONUS! (Sorry, couldn't resist)... Seriously though - what will be different about the new production run? Has the formulation changed? Because I am loving the "mix" from the first shipment - glues (fabric tac, Super77), sands, cuts, and bends perfectly. I will definitely reorder, but do I need to set aside a few sheets from the first run before ordering the new stuff?
Formulation is unchanged. Processing has been tweaked, but we expect all the great characteristics of MPF to remain the same.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:00 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Formulation is unchanged. Processing has been tweaked, but we expect all the great characteristics of MPF to remain the same.
Has there been a change to the packaging? I seem to recall you guys were re-working the boxes you had on the first run?!?!?

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,529 Posts
I sure hope it doesn't change, because I am loving this stuff. I have about eight planes in process right now using this material.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:26 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
Has there been a change to the packaging? I seem to recall you guys were re-working the boxes you had on the first run?!?!?

Regards

Christian
We will still be reworking boxes. Still have 388 of the 500 purchased. Hopefully we will be better at it. Some (like 20%) of the reworked boxes buldged enough to trigger through the 4.49" height limit. UPS's laser measuring system caught them and they cost us over $10 each in additional shipping.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:39 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
Are you going to try FedEx or USPS shipping alternative to Universal Parcel Smashers? Have you researched the cost of those alternatives and if so, how much more?

Order #32, UPS demolition test case #1...

J.P.
TheAeronut is online now Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Last edited by TheAeronut; Apr 25, 2012 at 03:11 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 07:45 AM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,527 Posts
For now UPS is still our default shipper. If you want to consider something else let us know and we will checkout the extra cost. It varies with shipping address.

For JP in TX.

FedEx is available for no additional cost.

USPS Parcel Post (if accepted by the PO) would add an additional $6, Priority Mail would add $29
Last edited by bz1mcr; Apr 25, 2012 at 08:10 AM.
Old Apr 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
MPF minor dents & scrape damage reapir.

Another building tip, damage repair.

Nothing new here, but maybe it.s good info to commit to memmory.

My first sheet of MPF got damaged when i accidentally swiped my hand across the sheet and the fingernail put a good mark or say crease in the surface. This is a dent repair, not an area where foam was removed or missing.

Took a wet paper towel and laid it over the damage. Used a hot covering iron to steam the area. Heat set to just barely sizzle the water soaked towel, and just hoter than what the foam could stand without the paper/water covering. The water tends to cool the iron quickly, so it doesn't melt or deform the foam.

See the results. Fixed without filler or sanding away material.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B