HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:04 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,694 Posts
Tim,

To be fair, and honest to yourself, remove the skin from the FFF and do the beam test again. Any skin whether bottom or top will skew the results. I have found that laminations and tape (type of skin) make a world of difference for strength in foam models.

AUG,

I have been cutting kits from this material (on my 3rd box) on the "Iron Phlatprinter" and am absolutely loving it. I use a 1/16" Dremel Carbide Grout Removal bit, and cut at 100 inches per minute at 35,000 RPM spindle speed.

Ken

My first personal plane from this foam is this F-16 profile prop jet. Just maidened it yesterday, and am very pleased with its performance. It has an AUW of 12 oz. and is pushed along with a Turnigy 3000 Kv Blue Wonder motor on a 3s 1300 mAh battery, turning an APC 4.75 x 4.75 prop (220 watts). The speed control is a 30A HK ESC, and flight controls are handled by full flying tailerons kept in place with Hobby King 10g digital servos.

More information here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6829 and here http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=6746
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:54 AM
Philadelphia, PA
Joined Aug 2009
1,031 Posts
I must say that I love this stuff as well! It has made my building experience much easier and better! I have only used DTF in the past, so that is all I really have to compare it to, but - I will be using this stuff going forward for my larger planes -- and even smaller if I can slice it uniformly with hot wire.

I was fortunate enough to get one of the first boxes and have started building a 52" version of my Icon A5 model (the prototype was built at 40" with DTF). For me, the MPF has some great properties:
-- It cuts wonderfully -- much easier than DTF. I glue my paper plan to it and then cut. I can cut duplicate pieces with ease by stacking the foam with a little spray glue in between. My wrists and fingers are no longer sore after cutting this stuff. Also, no need for alcohol or water, or cleaning products to remove paper!

-- It bends wonderfully! The bending properties of this foam made shaping the hull of my 52" Icon A5 a breeze. It bends pretty far, will hold it's shape and does not crack easily.

-- It glues well -- the glue I use is "Fabric Tac" by beacon adhesives - available at Walmart,michaels, etc. It is a fast acting tacky glue that I have used with much success on DTF. The only problem is that with DTF, if you put it on too heavy, it will eat the foam.... For whatever reason, this does not happen with the MPF!!! The MPF foam does not seem to be melted by the fabric Tac glue!!!.

I am very happy with this product and look forward to getting through this box so that I can order another!!!

...so many projects on the list for this stuff.... Ken - it is interesting that you built that f-16!! I'm actually planning a full fuse EDF F-16 from guillow stick and tissue plans (enlarged, of course). I think the bending and shaping properties of the MPF will be perfect
for bending the curves of the F-16! So excited... but first I need to finish up the Icon, and a Zenair STOL ch701 that I have on the build table!

Is this the forum for posting MPF planes as well?? If not, we definitely need a "Scratchbuilt Model Plane Foam (MPF) Planes" thread!

Thanks again, Model Plane Foam!!!
SNice is offline Find More Posts by SNice
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:37 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,838 Posts
Wow i may build an airliner from this stuff!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:56 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,694 Posts
Beautiful builds Snice!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:31 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
I'm sorry, but I don't understand, why would the skin need to be removed from the PB3? I don't remove it when I build with it.When I used to be able to get BLU-COR I did not remove the skin, it was part of the strength of the structure. In fact if I were going to build a larger model with PB3 then I would iron on clear packing tape to the side without skin.

Other then a spar on models in the 30 plus wingspan range , neither BLU-COR or Depron require no additional reinforcement when weighing in the 15 to 20 ounce range. PB3 does as well as DT foamboard.

It's just silly to suggest that someone build a 30 inch plus wingspan model without a spar . That part should have to go un spoken.

I now see that I missed or overlooked the part where the skin was removed from the DOW foam. And that OK, if you would normally do that . But for those of us who do not then that test was of little value. I take responsibility of overlooking this aspect when making my decision to buy this foam.

I don't like bashing anyone product, and I'm not trying to do that here. Just trying to figure out what I received and it's intended purpose. I was looking for a material that I could make quick and dirty models like I used to with BLU-COR without the expense of buying Depron. However it may be just fine if MPF was to be used on larger full fuselage planes and glassed. Guess I'll have to find that out for myself, just not anytime in the near future as I have a couple of projects that must be finished first.

Blue Skies.......................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Last edited by RWCLOUD; Apr 20, 2012 at 01:34 PM. Reason: left out the word " not", sorry!
Old Apr 20, 2012, 03:19 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,150 Posts
In all of my 67 fan fold style foamies hanging on my basement walls (ok a few depron too), every single one of them has a carbon or wood spar in the wings and often in other places too.

I am very happy with this foam. The only way that i can see depron as being better is in the surface finish. I hate that depron gets spongy after it is bent/crushed. This stuff doesn't do that.

Other than that MPF seems superior in every way.

It is the same exact foam as blu-cor, just no skins that get in the way of paint, no printing, no perforations, and way less of the waves you often find in blu-cor/fanfold.

I guess i am not sure what you don't like about it. I have never met a single person that glasses their foam. In all of the Scratchbuilt foamies section I can only think of a handful of plane designs that were glassed.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:22 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,859 Posts
Tim: the skin was removed to get an apples to apples comparision of the foam characteristics, Since MPF will always be without skins, and DT foam has paper skins that few leave on, the best way to compare the actual foam sheets is without skins. I still have a small stash of Dow high perf (skins on both sides) that I'll use if i ever do a true profile, so i understand your desire for that type of foam sheet product.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: OneSheeter#17 OSC140 debut
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:56 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
In all of my 67 fan fold style foamies hanging on my basement walls (ok a few depron too), every single one of them has a carbon or wood spar in the wings and often in other places too.

I am very happy with this foam. The only way that i can see depron as being better is in the surface finish. I hate that depron gets spongy after it is bent/crushed. This stuff doesn't do that.

Other than that MPF seems superior in every way.

It is the same exact foam as blu-cor, just no skins that get in the way of paint, no printing, no perforations, and way less of the waves you often find in blu-cor/fanfold.

I guess i am not sure what you don't like about it. I have never met a single person that glasses their foam. In all of the Scratchbuilt foamies section I can only think of a handful of plane designs that were glassed.
Like I said , the spar should have to go without saying. Thats just plane silly for planes at the above sizes. What I'm talking about is reinforcement in addition to spars. A plane built at a 30 plus wingspan with an A/R of about 5 or 6 and a spar at about 35 percent MAC and weighing around 15 to 20 ounces will require additional reinforcing to keep the wing from flexing when built with MPF or PB3. It will not if built from BLU-COR or Depron.

What sizes are your 67 planes? Are any built at the above size and made from MPF or PB3 without additional reinforcing other then a spar. If they are little things at less then 12 or so ounces then we are comparing apples and oranges here.

Also this MPF that I have here is in no way shape or form the exact same thing as DOW foam and I have a lot of different examples here to compare with. It does appear like and feels like and bends like DT Foamboard. Just thicker and without the paper and glue.

You know I was going to let this go until I read that it was the same exact thing as BLU-COR . Thats going to far

Blue Skies.....................Tim Thompson
Last edited by RWCLOUD; Apr 20, 2012 at 04:59 PM. Reason: added " MAC"
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:09 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Tim: the skin was removed to get an apples to apples comparision of the foam characteristics, Since MPF will always be without skins, and DT foam has paper skins that few leave on, the best way to compare the actual foam sheets is without skins. I still have a small stash of Dow high perf (skins on both sides) that I'll use if i ever do a true profile, so i understand your desire for that type of foam sheet product.
That little detail of removing the skin is a part that I missed when deciding to purchase this foam. But it does not account for those of us that leave the skin on.

The other part that lead me to decide to purchase was that it was the same exact thing as BLU-COR. This is a very misleading statement.

Those who are happy with MPF, I'm glad for them. Those who need a stiffer foam will just have to keep looking!

Yes I can reinforce MPF, but this defeats the intent of a quick and dirty build. I used to do a quick experiment in about an hour, just cut out some BLU-COR glue it together with hot melt glue , hang a motor on it wire up some electronics and throw it up in the air. With what it takes to reinforce PB3 it slows down a quick and dirty build so much that it defeats its purpose. The Same will be true of MPF. ( sigh)

Blue Skiesw.....................Tim
Last edited by RWCLOUD; Apr 20, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:27 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,694 Posts
Bob,

Here is the promised shot of edge finish using the cutter, feeds, and speeds previously mentioned.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 20, 2012, 06:53 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,712 Posts
Interesting !

I willhave to try one of those bits soon.

OK ... I'll see that pic and raise you this :-) ...

Bob

A really fussy material side but a smooth Part side.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:27 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
Just a little comparison.

These are 28" flat wings for a 3D plane. They have bamboo skewers for spars in the leading edge and between the trailing edge and aileron.

Blue one is high performance underlayment.

White one is the MPF.

Both weigh 37 grams each.

I think the MPF is a little stiffer than the high performance underlayment with the skin removed.
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Old Apr 21, 2012, 01:55 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
I've started on my quarter scale 747 already!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:27 AM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
I wonder if DemonDriver has seen it yet for one of his? From the semi-scale aspect it would be very interesting to see you guy's put this stuff to use.

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:04 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marhar View Post
I've started on my quarter scale 747 already!
1/4 scale huh? So a 747 has a wingspan of between 198 and 224 Feet.. that means your wing will be around 50 feet.

Should be a nice

I don't think that much MPF has even been made yet.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon