HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1sfb View Post
Christian,

It is $40 for postage via USPS Priority International to Canada. That includes the customs forms printed online. I don't know why we would not try it. I have sent several similar size packages to Nova Scotia without any problems. Its just a matter of whether the cost of shipping does not turn the value of the product upside down.

BTW 8 lbs is the package weight.

Ken

Thanks, USPS Priority it is then.... $15 to Neche, ND plus $26 in gas and 3+ hours of my time driving there and back make the $40 shipping cost look downright attractive, even if it does entail the risk of a possible tax collection, which would only be $14.50 in total with the handling fees. I'll gladly pay $13.50 to have my Saturday morning completely off, so I can do as I wish.... Fly my models perhaps?!?!

I'll send the extra $$$ for my #61 order, still waiting for the next shipment of foam..

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:28 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Springer,

Black marks did not make it to the foam but the foam was slightly deformed in that area, but not of any concern.

I'll be sending the extra $$ for shipping #61 of the good stuff when it arrives. I don't really need more after that... These 16 sheets of seconds mean plenty of cr***ing has to be done... I mean, I have to do a lot of extreme landings first.....

Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Christian: looks like you got the second box that got caught in the conveyor belt! So the black streak didn't get into the foam? Shipping weight is 8lbs for UPS, while the actual weights are 7.45-7.5lb but for UPS you have to add up to nearest whole pound. I brought 4 boxes back from Toledo, so if you're game, we can try it via USPS/CanadaPost. I'll look at Stamps.com too for what they might add to the equation.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 06:37 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,946 Posts
Nahh! with all that foam, you'll get the experience flying lots of plane and become an expert! Next thing to be concerned about though is those trees! Just when I got it figured out how to keep the plane from coming in nose down, the trees started grabbing them!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:11 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
119 Posts
Paypal sent for the addtional postage. Lemme know if you need anything else.

Christian
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:53 PM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
I got my package of " seconds " the other day! It had some miner damage on one end, where it was dropped on something, nothing major but the damage is across all the sheets. No big deal, I can live with it! IMO the damage could have been prevented by a better quality cardboard. I know it costs more! And like I said I can live with the slight damage!

But here is where I'm confused, maybe I miss read something and if I did I apologize in advance. I think that I read that this foam was somewhere in between Fan Fold and Depron in stiffness. My biggest complaint about Dollar Tree foamboard is how flimsy it is with the paper removed.

Well this looks like just thicker Dollar Tree stuff to me and it feels like it. So I made a little test. I cut 3 pieces of foam 2X12 inches each , 1 of Depron, 1 of Protection board 3 and 1 of Model Plane Foam . Set them on some scrap foam and clamped all of them between 2 - 1X2 pieces of wood. Then I placed a couple of 1/4 inch nuts ( 8.1 grams) on the end of each piece of foam. The Model Plane foam drooped the most, in fact the longer it set there the further it drooped. Next down was Protection Board 3 and Depron drooped the least.

Is this normal? Did I miss something? Sure it's not as brittle as Depron but without some serious reinforcing this foam can't be used for larger models.

Or is the new stuff going to be better in stiffness ? When I get a chance I'll play around with it and maybe someone could explain to me if I need to change something when building larger models , like in the 30 to 40 inch wingspan range
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:27 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
I would have expected Depron to sag the least because it has a thin skin and it is brittle because it is stiffer. You don't get nothing without something else differing too.

As far as fff and MPF they are similar. I am guessing that your test was with PBIII with the plastic removed? Then you were testing MPF as 'seconds'. Mine was a batch of premium.

I did not do a flex test like yours, but I have been building with MPF. I like it a lot, and still think it is most like fff. Most of my builds are in the 36" to 46" span models using Depron, fff, and now MPF. I always have to have some kind of reinforcement at these sizes, on any of those foam types. Guess it depends on building style, finished weights, and flight speeds. I can also build this large and use all foam as the structural parts too.

What I can say, DT foam it is not. Not even close or it would not be getting used as we speak. Maybe the seconds with defects, waves, and thinner sections has implied a defective nature? I'll be buying more when i need it.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:38 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Fred you dont like$Tree foam?
man I love the stuff!
in raw form it is a little more acceptable to dings but it is a lot less breakable than depron
it is really good for skinning wing cores and if you glass it or use SS 1000 you can make it rock hard.

but ya for the major part of my builds MPF will be my go to foam from now on.

I still have several sheets of EPP that I need to build something with it.
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:58 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueTitan View Post
Fred you dont like$Tree foam?
man I love the stuff!
I didn't say that! What I meant was that my current projects are needing fff and MPF, and some depron on one. $Tree foam has it's place, and nothing seems to bend into tubes and such any better than $Tree foam.

Now I have so many foams to work with, life is good.

Met a guy that works for DOW when I was on vacation. Some real interesting conversation over foam was had. I didn't know that fresh foam can vapor off and poison you. Dead as a door nail type stuff!

Fred
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:25 AM
Fresno CA
Joined Jul 2006
1,745 Posts
No the PB3 has its skin on it, I put the skin down toward the bottom. Nothing special was done to any of the foam. All 3 pieces of foam were tested with the " grain" going in the direction that was the stiffest.

There is a lot of differences between strong, tough, stiff and hard. Each quality has it place. Kind of like Grade 8 bolts are very strong in tensile strength. They will clamp 2 pieces together very well. But they can't take shear forces very well. Thats strong. Stainless Steel 304 bolts aren't as strong in tensile strength,but they take Shear forces very well, Thats tough.
Grade bolts are also hard and stiff, they break very easily with shocking types of shear loads. AN grade bolts are somewhere between Grade 8 and stainless steel bolts more like 316 then 304.

There is no way that this foam could be used in a profile type flat wing plane at about 16 or 17 ounces with a 32 to 34 inch wingspan, without some additional reinforcement.

8.2 grams is not a lot of weight, yet the MPF will sag quite easily with only 8.2 grams in this test. This is neither strong, tough or stiff. More like a half baked pizza crust!

Maybe I hastily read through this thread and misunderstood something. I was under the impression that it was a different formula then Dallier Tree foam and that it was somewhere in-between Depron and FFF. However the foam that I have looks and feels like $tree foam with its paper removed only thicker.

And no I'm not a fan of $tree foam

It would be nice if someone who got some of the premium stuff would do a test like I did above or some other test to qualify the difference between it and FFF or Depron. The others like me could make a more informed decision on whither or not to buy it!

Blue Skies.....................Tim
RWCLOUD is offline Find More Posts by RWCLOUD
Old Apr 20, 2012, 04:37 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,545 Posts
I'm still putting together some planes with MPF. Now that I've cleared the control project from my bench I can spend some more time working on toy airplanes. I did, however, get a chance to do some very fine precision cutting with this material. Man, does this stuff ever cut nicely! It's as precise as Depron but without Depron's tendency to chip and crack. It also sands well, so forming it is easy. I love it.

Somebody needs to report how well this stuff reacts to laser/waterjet/EDM/router cutting. Being able to machine parts will affect OEMs' decision to use this stuff in kits. I think there's somebody who talked about router cutting, but I don't recall if that was exclusively this foam. Does the MPF site have this kind of data?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:10 AM View Post
wowyou
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement. Show it to me anyway.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:32 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
UG,

Ken (dz1sfb) posted that he cut a whole box of MPF into kits. Ken owns a phlatprinter and I believe still uses a carbide rasp type of cutting bit as the tool. The parts looked great in the photo posted.

Tim,

PBIIi with the skin on is no test at all in comparing the 3 foams. Take the skin off and compare it to MPF. There is nothing I have found with MPF to make me think it is even related to $Tree stuff except the parent factory. Guess MPF isn't for everyone. I'm working with it, and that is where the proof of quality shines through. Try making something with it and then judge it overall.

I can't make a 16 ounce profile plane without reinforcement without it bending like spegetti noodles in flight unless it is coroplast? But then again I'm more into full fuse scale types. Hope you enjoy the new foam eventually, but if not, let us know what your favorite is. I'm always interested to learn things I haven't tried before especially from all of the great builders on RCG!

I really do appreciate your tests and explinations. The bolts discussion as to tough and strong is a great way of putting things. Stay in touch.

Fred
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:16 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,946 Posts
TIM, et.al. I did a similar cantilever beam test to compare three foam products (DT foam, Dow high Perf LF, MPF) and posted on the page titled " about the product" on the modelplanefoam.com site. All were without skins. In this particular test the MPF was stiffest. I doubt that any of the "typical" foams could consistently build into the plane type you mentioned without some reinforcement (spars, cf strips, tape, etc.)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Apr 20, 2012 at 12:28 PM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 09:33 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,650 Posts
This is from the MPF website's "About the Product" Page

Cantilever Beam test

Samples were cut 32x219mm from each of three foams: Readiboard less paper skins, Dow High perf less plastic film skins, and Model Plane Foam as received. They were then fixtured for matching top surfaces and equal beam length. 4 US pennies (10 g) were placed in the same spot on each, and resulting deflection noted. Note: Depron was included in this test.

Samples in free state. left to right Readiboard less paper, Dow High Perf less skins, MPF as received

Samples deflected by 4 US pennies total weight = 10 gm

Thickness: Readiboard - 4.0-4.3mm; Dow - 5.2-5.5mm; MPF - 5.4-5.6mm

Weights: Readiboard - 1.1gm; Dow - 1.3gm; MPF - 1.4gm

Straight view of deflected samples shows the differences.

In this test MPF is stiffer than "Dow high Performance". In the test reported in post 1010, it was less stiff than "Dow PB3". I doubt the skin on the bottom of the PB3 made the difference, but it's possible. Is there a big difference between PB3 and High Performance? Are there big differences from batch to batch or sample to sample of these materials? Seems more testing is needed.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Last edited by bz1mcr; Apr 20, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:35 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,163 Posts
This is where we post pictures of planes built with MPF right?

My newest and oldest.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon