HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Apr 13, 2012, 10:46 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
Today in Toledo I had the opportunity to meet the three principles of Model Plane Foam: dz1sfb(Ken), bz1mcr(Don), and Springer (Mike).
And as an added bonus, I also met SGTalon.
For those of you who frequent the Scratch Built Foamy Forum, those are four very recognizable names.

A little over 6 months ago (Nov 3 2011) Ken first started this thread that put forth the idea of a FFF substitute.
As the thread grew in length, and much brainstorming ensued, things started coming together, and now an actual product has come to fruition.
That's pretty impressive, and a godsend for the foamy building community.

I wish the three much success in their new business.
RJKIRK is offline Find More Posts by RJKIRK
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:09 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJKIRK View Post

I wish the three much success in their new business.
Amen to that Brutha!
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:38 AM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2011
155 Posts
Those guys are RCG hall of fame material in my book! You too Tony!
abieex is offline Find More Posts by abieex
Old Apr 14, 2012, 10:13 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,506 Posts
I don't see how it's possible for Model Plane Foam to not do well as long as these guys can keep ahead of the expenses. They're gonna sell every sheet of EPS they get in the door. I'm waiting on my second box now. [thrumming fingers on desktop]
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Apr 14, 2012, 08:51 PM
The world in foam & tissue
Rochester NY
Joined May 2010
600 Posts
Grabbed a box if seconds from Springer at the show today. My 2nd box of this stuff. It's great! It was great chatting with Springer and SGTalon as well. Thanks guys!
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:50 AM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
118 Posts
After my road trip to North Dakota to pick up my box of seconds, here are the photos of the package/damage. As far as I am concerned, the damage was inconsequential, the hassles at the US border were not, and so I would much prefer to have foam shipped to my home address. I'm all for security, but the lineup this morning at the border was silly long.

I would happily accept 15 or even 14 sheets with heavier cardboard protecting it, for the same cost, but the current cardboard box is acceptable and I would simply live with any minor damage, just to be able to get this foam. The only foam available locally is cellfoam88 and dollar tree foam, and nether is a good substitute for this product. (Yes, I've sliced my own, but it does not compare in stiffness to MAF)

I've attached some photos to show the condition of *my* box as I received it. There were some dings and creases, but nothing that would impact my use of this foam. Frankly, I can't wait to start cutting!

Thanks guys for making this happen... Without your service, I would have had to drive another 2 hours, just to take my chances on a bundle of unseen fan fold foam from Lowes.... And there would have been zero guarantees that there would be a usable bundle waiting for me when I got there!

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain "Where's my steel ruler?" Zero
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:07 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Christian,
Input like this does help us in making decisions on how to best serve our customers.

Thank you for the report,
Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:49 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,277 Posts
My box of seconds had arrived without so much as a scratch.

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
Damn this gets addictive.
United Kingdom
Joined Oct 2011
515 Posts
Are you shipping to the UK gents?
Thechittyfather is offline Find More Posts by Thechittyfather
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:02 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thechittyfather View Post
Are you shipping to the UK gents?
We're shipping if your paying!

Just did a quick cost with USPS Priority International to the UK. The charge would be $60.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:24 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,506 Posts
Wait a sec -- doesn't Depron come from someplace in Yerp? Why are Yerpians asking for us to send them foam? Hmm...
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:27 PM
Lost in Oblivia
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Nov 2010
118 Posts
So I was just perusing the USPS site, checking things and I noticed the following when I checked the cost for the following size item: Priority MailŪ International, Large Package, weight 12 lbs 0 oz to Canada. I'm afraid I don't know the actual shipping weight so I just plugged in 12lbs and I got this:

Quote:
Indemnity is included for uninsured parcels, but it is limited to the actual value of the contents or, based on the actual weight of the package, a maximum of $101.74, whichever is less. Indemnity is not provided for certain items. You may purchase insurance based on the article's value for coverage up to $675.00. When insurance is purchased, it replaces the indemnity. Certain valuable items must be insured. Consult the International Mail Manual or your local Post Office for detailed information.
So it looks like insurance would not be required, but I'd look into the "Indemnity is not provided for certain items" bit.....

It also looks that if you use the services of a place like stamps.com, you might get an additional discount on the shipping costs as well as free pickup of the products being shipped by USPS and all the forms, including customs forms could be filled out on the computer instead of someone having to actually go to a post office and stand in line etc. but I'm sure you boys have already looked into this.

As I have mentioned in a PM to one of you, springer I think, I'm willing to test the USPS shipping to Canada if you are game.

Regards

Christian
kaptain_zero is offline Find More Posts by kaptain_zero
Old Apr 15, 2012, 03:28 PM
I fly Helis too!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,758 Posts
cos its good foam!
Keenan smith is offline Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Apr 15, 2012, 04:58 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaptain_zero View Post
So I was just perusing the USPS site, checking things and I noticed the following when I checked the cost for the following size item: Priority MailŪ International, Large Package, weight 12 lbs 0 oz to Canada. I'm afraid I don't know the actual shipping weight so I just plugged in 12lbs and I got this:

So it looks like insurance would not be required, but I'd look into the "Indemnity is not provided for certain items" bit.....

It also looks that if you use the services of a place like stamps.com, you might get an additional discount on the shipping costs as well as free pickup of the products being shipped by USPS and all the forms, including customs forms could be filled out on the computer instead of someone having to actually go to a post office and stand in line etc. but I'm sure you boys have already looked into this.

As I have mentioned in a PM to one of you, springer I think, I'm willing to test the USPS shipping to Canada if you are game.

Regards

Christian
Christian,

It is $40 for postage via USPS Priority International to Canada. That includes the customs forms printed online. I don't know why we would not try it. I have sent several similar size packages to Nova Scotia without any problems. Its just a matter of whether the cost of shipping does not turn the value of the product upside down.

BTW 8 lbs is the package weight.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 15, 2012, 05:20 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,178 Posts
Christian: looks like you got the second box that got caught in the conveyor belt! So the black streak didn't get into the foam? Shipping weight is 8lbs for UPS, while the actual weights are 7.45-7.5lb but for UPS you have to add up to nearest whole pound. I brought 4 boxes back from Toledo, so if you're game, we can try it via USPS/CanadaPost. I'll look at Stamps.com too for what they might add to the equation.

TCF: how interested are you? we could try an intercontinental shipment if you want to be the guinea pig.

Just to remind you what we have are all seconds. If you want firsts, we'll have to wait.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member