HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 31, 2012, 08:07 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Don and Mike,
We need to research Fedex. I understand the cost is the same. I have had more than one messed up box of kits received by customers from UPS. Never had a bad one with USPS to my Canadian friends.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 31, 2012, 09:45 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
I said a long time ago I have a FedEx business account and love it. Seems cheaper too when I compare USPS and UPS.

I like the 2'x4' size. If the size was smaller, I would stick to fff mostly, and limit the amount og MPF because I am used to working and designing around the 2'x4' sheet size. Maybe like some older foam vendors, you couls sell smaller sheets and large sheets. The large ones would cost the buyer more because of shipping.

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:43 PM
Columbus Ohio.
Joined Aug 2006
151 Posts
By all means, keep the size at 48x24...because:

1. It is the size Adams is set up for.

2. You don't want to get into the grind of cutting this stuff up yourself and reboxing it.
Just think of the hasle of modifying the first shipment box size...
Then multiply that by 100!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. 48x24 is best for larger builds...I hate having to join pieces together to accomplish what should be be a single piece from the outset.

Where do your current boxes come from?
Did you have to purchase them yourselves, or does Adams provide them?

Running the numbers...you're charging $50 per case for 16 sheets.
Assuming the current box costs $3.00, that means that the cost of the foam itself comes to $47.00.
$47.00/16 sheets equals $2.93 per sheet.

So cut the case size down to 15 sheets.
That gives you an extra 1/4" depth, and $2.93 addidtional money to beef up the box.
You should be able to get a nearly indestructable box for $5.93.

So instead of a 1/8" 200-lb. corrugated material used in your current boxes, you can buy 275-lb. corrugated boxes.
They come in either 3/16 inch "single-wall", or 1/4 inch "double-wall" construction.
It might add a pound to your shipping weight.

Also...I think an "end-loading" box would be stronger than your current configuration.
An end-loader is not modifiable, but if the box size falls within the the correct parameters...you shouldn't need to fiddle with box modifications anyway.
The end-loader box is already assembled with the flap openings on both long ends.
You could even get an end-loader box that was say 51" long.
The foam gets loaded and before each end is taped shut some kind of packing paper or bubble wrap is added to each end.
This keeps the foam centered, and all the corners have 1.5" of space to absorb knocks.
A 51"x25"x4" box comes out to 5100 cubic inches...still below the 5184 cutoff for "dimensional weight" charges.

The printing on the box is a nice touch, but not necessary if it drives up the cost.
The money can be better spent on a beefier box and bubble wrap.

I think a 15-sheet case size in an "end-loading, 1/4" double-walled, 275lb. corrugated box" would be just the ticket.

Also...I would definately check out FexEx.
RJKIRK is offline Find More Posts by RJKIRK
Last edited by RJKIRK; Mar 31, 2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 10:55 PM
CA
Joined Dec 2003
486 Posts
Don't change the size just the shipper..
blindflight is offline Find More Posts by blindflight
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:24 AM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindflight View Post
Don't change the size just the shipper..
+1
Keep the 24"x48"
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Apr 01, 2012, 06:11 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,529 Posts
RJKIRK,
Thanks again for your suggestions. They are all worth considering.
Don
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Apr 01, 2012, 07:12 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
RJKIRK,
Thanks again for your suggestions. They are all worth considering.
Don
I appreciate your suggestions as well. One of UPS's recommendations was to go to a 275 lb. double wall corrugated box. This in and of itself I believe would be sufficient. Most shipping damage I have seen has been from the box collapsing allowing it to fold to some degree.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Apr 01, 2012, 11:03 AM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
567 Posts
There isn't a box around that will survive a 150lbs ball screw from falling on it and crushing everything it comes in contact with. Especially if the driver decides to lean it up against the wall of the truck instead of laying it down. I've shipped and received quite a few model sailboats thru the mail and most have been shipped via FedEx with the USPS coming in second. UPS has never made the cut by anyone when it comes to handling oversize parcels. I can't for the life of me even understand how they generate the business they do with the way they handle packages from small companies like MPF. Definitely look at another carrier. John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Apr 01, 2012, 12:12 PM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Apr 2012
652 Posts
Hello guys, newb here,

Been following your effort and I applaud everything. My only regret is that I don't need that quantity of foam, yet.

I'm doing a scratchbuild now for DTF, and will draw it for that foam next. Can it be folded to create a profile (like the Arrmin way)?

Anyway, UPS accepted your box, there wasn't any restriction on whether it should be packaged differently, so they cannot come back later and say it wasn't done right. Just like if you accept a damaged box, you cannot say later that they damaged it.
Beside seeing the box, I'm not sure anything that would have been through that grinder would have escaped intact.
Michael V is offline Find More Posts by Michael V
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:05 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,485 Posts
IF UPS claims that their shipping environment is SO VIOLENT that
shippers have to protect themselves from it
THEN UPS has a large internal problem which is THEIR problem not yours.

Depron is shipped exclusively via FeDEX and I have NOT had any serious
issues in several years.
An occasional dent but NEVER a MANGLE !

FYI

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is offline Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:25 PM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
I ship ALL large box items via Fed Ex and have to say never an oops Also I too get all my RC Foam delivered safe over the years. I was told that fed ex is union and it is detrimental to the employees/drivers etc.. that they are graded so to speak on there production and liability therefore spend more care on delivery of there items. This was a hear say but sounded sincere to me!

John
xtremeRCpilot is offline Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old Apr 01, 2012, 01:54 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
I too vote thet FedEx be cosidered as the primary carrier. My personal experience leads me to consider them first, and whenever I have priced shipment FedEx has always been cheaper than Universal Pulverizing Service.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:04 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
This discussion of various shipping agents is pretty phunny considering the hoohah from a few months ago, when video capture of a FedEx driver throwing an expensive computer monitor over a fence was followed up two days later by a UPS driver throwing a box down on a porch and actually flipping off the security camera. If the carriers have people like this delivering packages then policy matters very little.

Of course, the real way to stop driver/handler mistreatment of packages is to prosecute some of the more blatant offenders. In the case of the monitor over the fence the driver could have been charged with felony criminal damage to property. Do that a few times and you'll see the driver abuse of packages taper off.

The shipping agents need to keep better track of the handling of packages that go through their care. Perhaps some more bad press will cause them to be concerned with what should be their primary consideration anyway; that is, the proper handling of goods given to their care for delivery. If profit outweighs their responsibility to good stewardship then no delivery service will be any better than any other.

Oh, well.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Apr 01, 2012, 03:24 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,449 Posts
Just checked the Fedex site, and they have direct to addres "home delivery" and "smartpost" where the USPS delivers the 'last mile'. Any of you guys have experience with either of these? Like cost, timing, effectiveness?

I'll call them tomorrow, but y'all have been so helpful.....
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2012, 08:00 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
I have never had a delivery by smartpost but I have had plenty of packages delivered by USPS and FedEx home delivery. Both have done well for me. FedEx is consistently good about speed and delivery predictions. I have not had problems with damaged packages prior to this incident, but I have never had the same good feelings about UPS delivery as with USPS and FedEx.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut