HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:15 AM
Seafax ROV
United Kingdom, Barrow-in-Furness
Joined Feb 2011
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryross View Post
One trick used is to make a list of the tags and place them in the bottom of the main page and make that text the same color as the background so it is invisible.
Google caught onto the more basic tricks such as that one several years ago and now actually warns that it will downgrade or discount the results of any sites that use them.

Col.
WalneyCol is offline Find More Posts by WalneyCol
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2012, 04:47 AM
Ex AmA mEMBEr
United States, CA, San Bernardino
Joined Feb 2010
753 Posts
hello,
can "one of the 3 foam guys"give me a "best guess" date for eta like, a couple of weeks, a couple of days or a week or so. any time reference would be better than what i have now. fixed income r/c funds get disbursed tomorrow and only last a very few days or i wouldn't bug you guys for a premium foam timeline.

thanks for an answer,
michael clyde
mchldpy is offline Find More Posts by mchldpy
Last edited by mchldpy; Mar 30, 2012 at 04:48 AM. Reason: usual reasons
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:59 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchldpy View Post
hello,
can "one of the 3 foam guys"give me a "best guess" date for eta like, a couple of weeks, a couple of days or a week or so. any time reference would be better than what i have now. fixed income r/c funds get disbursed tomorrow and only last a very few days or i wouldn't bug you guys for a premium foam timeline.

thanks for an answer,
michael clyde
The production source is doing some R&D to improve the quality reliability. Testing happening Monday. If all is well, then we may have stock by mid April.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:39 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
first "crunched" box

Here's the pictures of the first box that was returned (by UPS, prior to delivery) due to damage. Looks like it may have got caught in the conveyor, as the corners are rounded as well as the major bend in middle. The foam is obviously not pristine, but looks to be useable with some work around the wrinkles. This is the only serious damage we've seen so far, and many have said they received their boxes with no damage at all - so far so good.

This leads me to a question: is there another form factor that may be more durable? One thought is to cut sheets in half (to 24x24) and ship a more conventional looking box that won't be as susceptible to bending, and may flow on conveyors better. Just for grins, what are all y'all's thoughts on that size? In other words how importiant is the 48" dimension to you? At this point we have no plans to change form factor at all, but i'm just wondering....
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:55 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,100 Posts
I think that the long dimension should be not less than 32" but prefer 48". 32" is a convienient number I hav gotten accustomed to working with from cutting 4x8 sheets in thirds for easy transport. Makes nice 64" wings...

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:02 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,100 Posts
Oh, by the way... That was MY box, and boy did they do a number on it! This is the first I have seen of it, as it was returned to MPF before delivery was even attempted. Just as well, as I would not have been happy to receive that mess. Yes, a lot of it looks to be usable, but as noted in th previous post I like to work with longer parts, and that box would not get you there.

J.P.
TheAeronut is offline Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:05 PM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
873 Posts
If you reduced the size, I wouldn't want it. I'd rather take my chances on the shipping damage.
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:37 PM
Indiana
Joined Nov 2004
626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Here's the pictures of the first box that was returned (by UPS, prior to delivery) due to damage. Looks like it may have got caught in the conveyor, as the corners are rounded as well as the major bend in middle. The foam is obviously not pristine, but looks to be useable with some work around the wrinkles. This is the only serious damage we've seen so far, and many have said they received their boxes with no damage at all - so far so good.

This leads me to a question: is there another form factor that may be more durable? One thought is to cut sheets in half (to 24x24) and ship a more conventional looking box that won't be as susceptible to bending, and may flow on conveyors better. Just for grins, what are all y'all's thoughts on that size? In other words how importiant is the 48" dimension to you? At this point we have no plans to change form factor at all, but i'm just wondering....
24x24 would be too small.

24 inches would be too limiting in the length of the fuselage parts and would restrict the plane size to around a 28 inch wingspan.

24x30 might work. That would allow enough length for the fuselage parts to make up to a 36 inch wingspan 3d type plane.
OnGuard is offline Find More Posts by OnGuard
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:34 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
Good comments, guys. I'm assuming that you're thinking wing on a diagonal. I was thinking two piece wings so a 48" could be done. At this point 24x48 is what the process produces, and any changes to a different length would probably be costly, so I think we can expect no changes in the basic size. Cutting them in half is something we could do in the barn with no scrap, so seemed a possibility. Thanks for the inputs.

JP: Yeah, I think you might have been just a bit disapointed getting that box! Sorry you have to wait, but soon as the next shipment comes in...
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:05 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
For shipping purposes and for relatively low cost shipping containers,
I have decided to go with 24x16 and use 16" pizza boxes.
It yeilds 3 sheets per sheet of MPF.

4 ea 12" x 24 sheets leave a longer and more damageable format IMHO
and no good, low cost box choices. Longer is a killer for overseas posts.

Only 3 inches taller than 13" depron sheets but 15" narrower.

There is no other easy way to divide it up IMHO and still get
more compactness and gain a bit more damage resistant size.

Some parts will simply have to be segmented.
I figure that if you don't trust glue you cant build anything anyway.

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:11 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2011
175 Posts
My foam arrived in perfect condition and overall it sounds like the percentage that had damage of any import was fairly small. I really like the current size and would hate to see it change.
Can the returned goods now be inspected, cut down, and resold for those that may like smaller sheets?
abieex is offline Find More Posts by abieex
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:13 PM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,392 Posts
I say keep it 24"x48"
3DMON is online now Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:00 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,609 Posts
I was NOT suggesting that MPF change their size.

I was simply talking about my use of their foam form factor.

I seriously doubt that Adams would be willing to make any serious changes anyway.

Bob
Northwest Cutout Service
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:05 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,618 Posts
me too, their process isn't set up to do custom cuts. Anything beside 2'x4' size would be something we would do, so there would have to be some serious demand to warrant it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:37 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,576 Posts
Unhappy with UPS shipping!

Would you beleive UPS has refused to cover any damage, saying it should be packaged in a double corregated box that is spaced out from the foam by 2" in every direction! That would more than double the boxing and shipping charges. Then they top it off by charging us return shiping. We have paid near $30 to have them flod a box of our foam in half and give it back. I'm not feeling the love, from UPS. Much more of this and we will be looking for a new shipper. Even the USPS does not charge to return an undeliverable package.

Excuse my rant but when your trying to run a lean low margin business you don't need that kind of help!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr