SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:39 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,383 Posts
fine. i was waiting for you. lol.ok. i believe now.
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:49 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,143 Posts
Doh! Too late, they are sold out.

I am kidding. Just order already!

Honestly, I am friends with these guys and I build a lot of planes. Ever since i heard what they were doing i refused to build another plane with my blue and pink foam. It took a couple months but I am so glad i waited. It makes my space planes look amazing.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:00 PM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,383 Posts
Thank you for your payment. Your transaction has been completed

yea no more weird blue warped wings for me let the building begin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:52 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,570 Posts
update

As most of you guys know, part of our first shipment was material that didn't meet our "perfectly flat, consistent thickness" criteria. It was a "growing pain" sort of situation with the manufacturer learning how to process to our requirements, and we think we have it sorted out. However we do have some stock and after some internal deliberation, reviews of some sheets by local builders, and some kits cut as test cases, we are listing it on the website. Click on "limited offer" page in the header.

The consensus is that this is "about" the same as typical fanfold as far as waves and thickness variation. Some folks say better, but that may be just because it's still pure white, unskinned, unperfed and not printed all over

We're still reworking boxes, so if there is a rush, we may have a bit of delay while we prep for shipment. Shouldn't be more than a few days, though.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:58 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,188 Posts
Mike,

Has anyone tried cutting this stuff with a laser yet?

Also, does Adams think they can get a better result on thickness variances? The kits I do are of the tab and notch style construction based on 6mm notche openings, and if there's too many variances on thickness it may not work that great for me.

Thanks!

Pat
crxmanpat is offline Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 27, 2012, 01:59 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,143 Posts
So what is the cost for these "Blem" type sheets? I am too lazy to actually go to the website!

BTW, the good stuff is nearly perfect. I could not tell any difference in thickness with my kits i had cut.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:01 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,143 Posts
Ok,... i went to the site. half price for nearly awesome foam is a great deal! That is cheaper than FFF!
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:06 PM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,383 Posts
SGTalon thanks for the push looks like i order the last good set sweet

Sorry, but we're out of stock!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:10 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
As most of you guys know, part of our first shipment was material that didn't meet our "perfectly flat, consistent thickness" criteria. It was a "growing pain" sort of situation with the manufacturer learning how to process to our requirements, and we think we have it sorted out. However we do have some stock and after some internal deliberation, reviews of some sheets by local builders, and some kits cut as test cases, we are listing it on the website. Click on "limited offer" page in the header.
Hum... well yep mine is not perfectly flat. I was wondering if the curve was due in part to the reworked box hugging it funny. But looking at the stack pictured on the site looks like that stack has about the same curve to it as the stuff I got.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:11 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,570 Posts
Pat: I don't know about any laser cutting yet. Unfortunately we'll all just have to learn how close Adams can get in the thickness variation of the premium foam. There is a sizing step it goes through, but I'm guessing that is also influenced by process variations/controls in the extrusion portion, Time will tell. In sorting and reboxing, I measured a bunch of sheets and they seemed pretty consistently between 5.5 and 6mm with only local areas outside that. Adams is working on improving thickness consistency for other uses, so we hope to benefit from that work as well. As you might know, thickness control at the level we like was below the requirements of the major users for fanfold.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:17 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,570 Posts
Pappa: unfortunately the last of the original premium has already shipped. We're waiting on timing for production of the next batch.

Grim: the gentle curve in the entire sheet is going to be typical of the product for the forseable future. Generally, from what I've seen and heard, this isn't a serious problem, as that curve is negligible once the templates are arranged and cut out. (unless you want to make a profile 3d foamy, but this foam may be a bit thick for that use...) Our concern is with the shorter wave lengths that will show in cut out parts, hence the separation of seconds.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:20 PM
Shut up and fly
Joined Jun 2008
10,383 Posts
what the site let me pay so your saying i missed it.

Mar 27, 2012 10:57:24 PDT
Transaction ID: 7T5380421T531524A
Hello frank connors,

You sent a payment of $65.00 USD to Model Plane Foam Inc.
so did i just get back ordered.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:34 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Ha
I was thinking the same thing
all you have to do is read what has already been posted
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:41 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,125 Posts
Papa they have Adams making another shipment of foam , not sure when it will be ready . Worth the wait , Mike i just ordered a half price batch, i wanna see what it gets to me for and how it survives then i can go for the good stuff
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 27, 2012, 02:55 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGTalon View Post
Ok,... i went to the site. half price for nearly awesome foam is a great deal! That is cheaper than FFF!
Thats cheaper than Readiboard! Plus you don't have to strip the paper.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project