HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:58 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,140 Posts
Sweet! I have some peeps asking about their orders. Can't wait to see the kits in white.
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 25, 2012, 09:14 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,382 Posts
Well, I've cut an entire case of kits from my first box of foam. One of those kits was a Sea BB34 where I baked the wing panels in a baking jig. 190 degrees F for 10 minutes did a great job and no indication of being too hot.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 26, 2012, 01:28 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
What does that temperature and time setting do to the surface of the foam? Does it change shape or consistency?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:21 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,382 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
What does that temperature and time setting do to the surface of the foam? Does it change shape or consistency?
Holding the foam in the jig and baking it like this thermally sets the foam so that there is no mechanical stress. This allows the foam to remain in this shape. There is no changes in the surface of the foam, unless you run too high of temps. Then it can smooth the surface some, however you are on the brink of disaster if that is happening.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Mar 26, 2012 at 05:42 AM. Reason: fixed typos
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:30 AM
USA, TX, Hillsboro
Joined Sep 2010
19 Posts
MPF Foam

Got mine last Thursday with no issues. Foam looks great. I am in the process of cutting out an Red Tail Hawk to terrorize my Martins!
red70 is offline Find More Posts by red70
Old Mar 26, 2012, 07:07 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,541 Posts
KEWL! You're gonna beat me to a bird. Been thinking about them for years, but never got around to doing it.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2012, 09:47 AM
Joined Jan 2012
184 Posts
What I will miss about FFF is the Folds. I used the folds for leading edge for wings over 50 inches.
evapilotaz is offline Find More Posts by evapilotaz
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:16 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evapilotaz View Post
What I will miss about FFF is the Folds. I used the folds for leading edge for wings over 50 inches.
You can bevel both edges of two sheets, say around 40-45 degree angle. Tape the other side with 2" packing tape, while the edges are touching, or almost touching. Flip it back over, bevels facing up, and now it will fold over real nice. A bit of practice on some scrap (i'd test of fff) and you will get the angles and gap you like!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 26, 2012, 02:58 PM
Joined Jan 2012
184 Posts
Thanks Fred.
evapilotaz is offline Find More Posts by evapilotaz
Old Mar 26, 2012, 04:44 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,180 Posts
Has anyone cut this stuff with a laser yet? I tried to read the entire thread, but didn't see it mentioned. Wondering what the results (if any) are.

I sell kits using 6mm and 3mm depron, and finding a cheaper alternative to depron would be good. Especially if they decide to sell this in 3mm.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Mar 26, 2012, 05:57 PM
flyvertigo
Orlando FL
Joined Aug 2009
455 Posts
I received my shipment of foam last Wednesday in good condition and got right to work building. I just maidened my NutBall this evening.

Thanks for a great product.

Jim #15
flyvertigo is offline Find More Posts by flyvertigo
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,538 Posts
I've cut out a few planes with the new material already, but I'm waiting for some parts to come before finishing the builds. Stupid me, I was so involved with this dumb embedded project that's on my desk right now that I didn't get the parts ordered in time to have planes ready for the SRCB Swap 'Til You Drop meet coming up on Saturday. I have been getting ready for this swap for months, and now I won't have the durn planes ready. Craps!

P. S. -- Actually, now that I have a ready supply of inexpensive quality foam, I can start making jigs to cut and assemble these planes. Much cheaper than laser cutting, and loads faster and more accurate than hand construction. The labor was starting to eat me alive, particularly with the embedded work picking back up again.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Mar 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
The world in foam & tissue
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2010
615 Posts
Toledo Weak Signals 2012 thread started up. You guys gonna have a table? Might want to post there soon to be at the top O' the thread!
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:04 PM
Shut up and fly
United States, CO, Firestone
Joined Jun 2008
10,379 Posts
question? for those who have got there foam: is it every thing we hoped for? still have 5 piece of fan fold left. so i am about ready to order. just wanted feed back
papabatman is offline Find More Posts by papabatman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big fpv weekend
Old Mar 27, 2012, 12:29 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,140 Posts
Dude, the last 3 pages have been filled with people talking about how awesome this foam is.

Yes it is everything you hoped for.

Just buy it already!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Last edited by SGTalon; Apr 03, 2012 at 12:25 PM.