HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 23, 2012, 11:56 AM
Erik with a K
Toledo, OH
Joined Aug 2007
1,119 Posts
My observation has been, basically it's just like FFF but without the tedious plastic to gum up the bits. Rolls and folds very well, it's a great product.
tvcasualty is online now Find More Posts by tvcasualty
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:37 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,539 Posts
YUP !

I cant cut Thick Pink or Blue or the R-tech foams because the lower temp plastic skins
melt and build up on the bits.
However at least on the Blue and Pink I can Remove the skin very easily in one piece
and save it for Painting tarps.

Similar problems with Uniboard hard plastic covered foam sheeting.

I cut 3mm with 1/8 bits as 1/16 has even had occasional buildups in 3mm depron !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:41 PM
United States, WA, Pasco
Joined Aug 2011
32 Posts
My box arrived yesterday. Most of the corners had compressed and would not be good for a finished edge.

There was also a dent in the side of the box, damaging the edge of two sheets. Overall, very nice foam, but it would be nice if the corners had reinforcement.

Now I have a bunch of crappy greenboard foam to use for crash builds.
jetada is offline Find More Posts by jetada
Old Mar 23, 2012, 02:47 PM
Augermeister
United States, TX, Keller
Joined Jul 2011
2,653 Posts
I really like what I'm reading in this thread. Just finished my 5th foamie parkjet(Sea Dart) made from 6mm depron. I've built 3 planes from Dollar Tree foam(hand cut) and two from depron with the depron parts cut out by Birdofplay. The Dollar Tree stuff is cheap and ' just okay' and if you need to remove the paper, try their "Amazing cleaner" Great stuff. Works like a charm. The bad thing about Dollar Tree foam IMO is that it does not handle paint very well nor humidity. Had to rebuild my F-22 as it basically disintegrated after a while. DT foam is closer to 5mm than 6mm.Take away the paper and it's closer to 3mm. For something quick,cheap and dirty, it's fine.

Just when I thought I was done building for awhile, I saw this thread. Now my interest is piqued.

An inexpensive solution for the occasional builder like me or for those who don't need a complete bundle would be to have Birdofplay cut of the parts from this new foam for a single model. His CNC cutting service is excellent and prices very reasonable. Thinking he would offer this new foam as a slight deduct option over depron. Just a thought.

Bob, it's back to your on-line catalog. I might just have be the DFW area experiment.

Looks promising guys !

-Hawk
dahawk47 is offline Find More Posts by dahawk47
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:05 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,563 Posts
Jetada: where you located? I'm keeping track of the damage reports.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:10 PM
Watsonville CA
Joined Jun 2008
19 Posts
Mine arrived today

Made it just fine all the way to California, no damages
gsumano is offline Find More Posts by gsumano
Old Mar 23, 2012, 10:45 PM
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,716 Posts
Cargo loaders who fill up planes sometimes call their job as 'throwing cargo'.
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:14 AM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
Mine was supposed to be delivered Thursday, but something happened to the box in transit. They held the package for inspection and I may get it Monday if they deem it deliverable. Will they understand what they are looking at and be able to judge its deliverability? How long before I can get a replacement box? I suppose that I will have to hang around Monday to be able to refuse delivery if it is all beat up.

J.P.
TheAeronut is online now Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Mar 24, 2012, 05:21 AM
KK4EHM--FPV Mon!
United States, FL, Sebastian
Joined May 2005
1,381 Posts
Got my foam in yesterday. It had one small rip in the box that managed to rip a small tear in the top sheet of the foam. No biggie but I thought I'd post for you guys to see.

This foam seems good. It feels and acts just like fanfold. When I pulled a sheet out it does bow quite a bit unlike Depron which lays flat but that's not really a big deal. The best thing about this stuff is it's cheaper than Depron and it's no where near as brittle.
3DMON is online now Find More Posts by 3DMON
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:07 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,539 Posts
Thanks for plugs DH !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 24, 2012, 12:42 PM
12th Pursuit Squadron
Garland, Tx.
Joined Mar 2002
1,101 Posts
So much for order #32... I don't know how bad it was, but UPS isn't even going to try to deliver mine - they are just sending the remains back to MPF. Guess I get to wait... Fortunately this is not a priority for me, but I still want to see what I can do with this new foam sheet.

J.P.
TheAeronut is online now Find More Posts by TheAeronut
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:47 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Sorry to hear that! I sent an email asking for any more information you can provide us.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Mar 24, 2012, 07:47 PM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
266 Posts
Received my box on Thursday. No damage what so ever! All sheets look great. I've already gave one sheet to another member in my club to play with. And I'll probably will had out a couple more sheets to help spread the news about the new Model Plane Foam!
RedTwilight is offline Find More Posts by RedTwilight
Old Mar 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,142 Posts
Another MPF plane

There is nothing cooling that building a plane in a day. This whole white foam thing is awesome. No need to paint! Just a couple of lines with a pen and some sharpie.

All ready for Maiden flight when the weather looks good enough.

It is looking awesome with the white foam. Man do i love this stuff!!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Mar 24, 2012, 10:51 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,395 Posts
Nice job on the new Enterprise Dennis!

I really like how this material goes through the Iron Phlatprinter. Very minimal if any skidding like I was getting with FFF. I am sold. Anybody want to buy some blue stuff? LOL

Ken
BTW - Your kits are done!
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project