HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:36 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,567 Posts
Last fifteen boxes of first load shipped today.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 20, 2012, 09:50 PM
fly it crash it fix it
Joined Feb 2009
169 Posts
I took my box of foam to our club monthly meeting and it was a big hit with a lot of interest. The crushed end of the box had not affected the foam. I think that M.P.F. can expect some business from this meeting. I hope that R.L. Adams can see what kind of revenue this venture is going to generate. and keeps Model Plane Foam well stocked. Mike if the offer still exist I would be honored to make the drive and pick up some foam.
flyn_brian is offline Find More Posts by flyn_brian
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:32 AM
Don't Call Me Shirley
United States, VA, Bassett
Joined Oct 2010
197 Posts
At some point, could someone do a weight comparison? A sheet of MPF vs a sheet of pbIII, depron and epp of similar thickness.
Tucknut is offline Find More Posts by Tucknut
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:49 AM
Joined Jan 2012
38 Posts
My box shipped 3-20 Coming to Aridzona, w/UPS listing delivery on 26th. Like a kid at Christmas, LOL.
Golddrakken is offline Find More Posts by Golddrakken
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:55 AM
The world in foam & tissue
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined May 2010
615 Posts
My box-o-foam >>> 03/21/2012 6:45 A.M. Out For Delivery
Rasterize is offline Find More Posts by Rasterize
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:56 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,567 Posts
prroduct properties and test result updates on the website: modelplanefoam.com
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 21, 2012, 07:29 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtremeRCpilot View Post
No problem, I will find good use of it and since i would have to regenerate code files from my depron sheets I will adjust my new files leaving a couple inches from the curved edges. Great looking otherwise and I will keep my eye on the progress of future foam orders and quality. Thanks for the super customer service!
John
John,
What Mike described is a slight curve to the whole sheet. Enough that whenstanding on edge you see the curve, but when the sheet is laying down it lays flat.

I am wondering if you have something different. It sounds like your sheet/s have a curved edge/s, with the sheet laying flat. Perhaps a picture or two will help us understand.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
185 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddrakken View Post
My box shipped 3-20 Coming to Aridzona, w/UPS listing delivery on 26th. Like a kid at Christmas, LOL.
Where do you fly in the East Valley. I would like to touch, feel and sniff this stuff.
evapilotaz is offline Find More Posts by evapilotaz
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:05 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Well, well, well....... proof is in the photo, mine has arrived. Look close, one small thumb size box ding, looking to have gone deeper than the cardboard thickness, but doubt if much damage to the top sheet.

I know we raze the UPS drivers/company, but honestly my wife's best friend is a driver. My driver stopped to talk and asked me what it was, and what I used it for. I told him I build airplanes, this was a new product, and there were several of us around the Country going to test out this first batch. He told me three times I would have to let him know how it works out. I'm sure he sees other modelers packages and possible some future word of mouth advertising.

I also mentioned that I don't get excited about my orders and deliveries, however seems everyone, including me was excited to get this one. Christmas in March!

Fred
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:09 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,123 Posts
Okay you saw it ... Now put it back in the Mail and send it to ME !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
Well, well, well....... proof is in the photo, mine has arrived. Look close, one small thumb size box ding, looking to have gone deeper than the cardboard thickness, but doubt if much damage to the top sheet.

I know we raze the UPS drivers/company, but honestly my wife's best friend is a driver. My driver stopped to talk and asked me what it was, and what I used it for. I told him I build airplanes, this was a new product, and there were several of us around the Country going to test out this first batch. He told me three times I would have to let him know how it works out. I'm sure he sees other modelers packages and possible some future word of mouth advertising.

I also mentioned that I don't get excited about my orders and deliveries, however seems everyone, including me was excited to get this one. Christmas in March!

Fred
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:16 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Okay you saw it ... Now put it back in the Mail and send it to ME !!!!
I just lost your address in the shreader. Sorry!!!!
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:07 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
MPF compared to other foams

My initial observations and thoughts.

So pulling out a piece of MPF, I felt I was holding Dow Blue fff, with no skin, in white. Texture, firmness, even the grain seems the same. Just pure, creamy white in color.

Yes grain. The long 4' dimension does curl or bend easier, and the short 2' side is the stiffer plane. This is just the same with fff. There are no waves per say, and the slight curving bend is also similar to fff once you peel the plastic membrane off.

The white is like depron in that it seems a bit translucent. Nothing wrong in that, just that Dollar Tree foam seems say, more milky. Since I have not painted or tried WBPU sealer on it, I don't know for sure, but I would bet to get the smooth as a sheet of glass finish, lightweight and all the other fff finishing tricks would be in order.

Compared to Dollar Tree Foam I'd say this for MPF:

Dollar Tree foam is very soft. It dents squeezing it hard with your fingers. It is very flexable to the point it needs reinforcement in areas that fff doesn't. It is so soft I do not like to build with it because hanger rash is just expected, daily. The paper is a pain to remove, especially if you hate glue residue (like me) and I have left a good finger crease more than once trying to remove the paper. It is thinner. Has the famous 'waves' that never go away. Small sheets make larger projects a real chore.

MPF is harder, less prone to denting. It is flexable because it is foam, but not overly so. If you have used fff, get ready because it seems identical. Stiff enough to not need reinforcement unless large spans or wings, etc are involved. All foam damages easier than say balsa, but fff and MPF seem to be equally durable. A quick snaping bend does not shatter the foam sheet like it would Depron. There is no plastic skin to peel (like fff) but sometimes I like the skin. Good thing is advancing knowledge on covering foam with lightweight coverings is evolving. No glue residue, no tiny pin holes, and no famous waves. It is thicker, a real plus on anything Blue Baby sized on up, especially wings and tail feathers. Large sheets make large projects much easier.

Oh, and Depron? Leave that nice, expensive, brittle stuff to those lucky enough to buy it in a Country that makes and sells it locally. It's a bit brittle, and has the skin with gluing issues to deal with. I do love Depron, but it's a bit expensive so I reserve it for special uses. Can't be beat when you want thin foam BTW.

Last thought for now. I too lived where fff blue or pink was impossible to get. This should also fill the need for those that still face this problem. Now I can get fff locally, but had to learn to paint, cover, or live with pink and blue airplanes. Now anyone can have fff type foam, in white, so all the negetive aspects seem to be negated. I hope the price shipped can someday come down just a bit, only because people will argue they don't need so much, storage is an issue, or that the initial outlay is tough on their budget. All good reasons and often all too real. HOWEVER pure white, +/- 6mm foam, fff consistancy, delivered to your door, full 2'x4' sheets is a real good thing!

Thanks to Ken, Don, and Mike!

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Mar 21, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 09:49 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,540 Posts
Mine is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

I already have orders for kits using MDF vs Depron as I said before.

To be sure ...
All foam is the same when dipped in Gasoline or Acetone or lLaquer thinner ! ;>}
So lets just be careful out there.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Mar 21, 2012, 11:40 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,539 Posts
I did notice some grain and some curvature, but that's okay for the Longhorn wings I cut out this afternoon. In fact, my Lunatic (only one built so far) took advantage of some PBIII with a pretty radical two-axis curve in it to make wings that had essentially a shallow hollow airfoil. We'll see if I can get the MPF material to keep the same curvature by heating it up with the heat gun. I suspect that the foam will just flatten out if heated, but stay tuned nonetheless.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Mar 22, 2012, 12:13 AM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,540 Posts
I noticed a Grain in thick Pink Foam like 1/2 stuff from LowDepo and Depolow.

When cutting it with CNC and a long 1/8" router bit IT TEARS on the outside edges a bit
when cutting Cross grain not with grain. Yes, different speeds and feeds tried.

It will be interesting to see if the MPF has better cutability.
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay