Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:11 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
.... two pallets full converted by end of day today, when we ran out of tape, tomorrow will be sending them out.
Thats 32 boxes modified to meet the dimensional weight requirement to ship at 8 lbs. We need that to make the $15 shipping work. Those 32 should go out tomorrow.

All those who ordered on Thurs. were sent an email with their order sequence No. So, the lucky 32 should know who they are. (If you did not receive the email check the spam file of the email you use with PayPal.)

Everyone will get an email from UPS with your shipment tracking number. Those go out when the address label is printed for your order. (Those too, will be sent to your email used for PayPal.)
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:20 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,394 Posts
Mike,
Kudos on updating the website. It is looking really sharp. No need to colorize the logo. Lots of color between the plane pics and the foam, tastefully so.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Mar 15, 2012, 06:24 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJKIRK View Post
So we can order additional single boxes to reserve a place in the front of the line...
Cool!!!

I'm ordering my second box.

Yes, Yes! Next Wed. any boxes left in stock will be available for those who place more than one order this week.

Right now we have 60 boxes left and the flow of orders has dropped off, so I'm guessing they will not all be taken by next. Tues. night. If they are then any orders not yet filled wil be first when new stock arrives.

Some have asked when that might be. Well we don't know. Our original business plan had a 2-4 week delay. But the actual order date depends on rate of sales (of the current stock), and the manufactures production plan will determine the time from order to receipt. Remember this product is new to them and it is a very small volume compared to their established products. We will be working with them to make any out of stock time as small as possible.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,992 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
.................... Our original business plan had a 2-4 week delay. But the actual order date depends on rate of sales (of the current stock), and the manufactures production plan will determine the time from order to receipt. Remember this product is new to them and it is a very small volume compared to their established products. We will be working with them to make any out of stock time as small as possible.
There once was a Tree Farmer in Ecuador years ago, that was processing Balsa Logs to export. One day he told his neighbor 'I don't know who Balsa USA is, but they asked me to process a very small order, I agreed, what the heck. Probably more a pain in my than anything'............

Well, you know the rest of the story.....

(Sorry I'm feeling better and frisky).

Fred

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=236

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post21040987

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...5#post21031426

More to come.
Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Last edited by Freddie B; Mar 15, 2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:44 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Thanks for sharing our DREAM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:01 PM
fly it crash it fix it
Joined Feb 2009
169 Posts
Thank you Mike, Ken and Don for such an excellent execution of selling the product (and not letting any one person hoard it). It appears that I am number 29 on the list. I have a club meeting to go to next Tuesday and I will let them know of model plane foam. If it makes it to my little grubby hands by then, they will get to witness the quality of the foam first hand. Last month there was a discussion of getting some depron. I hope that the quality, price, and availability of model plane foam will tilt their judgement toward buying from you. I work in place that manufactures foam but it is epe or extruded polyethylene which is either thin and limp or thick heavy and strong (I fix their machines). Think pool noodles. Of coarse I can find a way of using that foam, but it just not very practical for an rc plane to be built out of that type of foam. I still would be willing to drive from my other house in to the plant to pick up a batch but to make the drive worth it to me it would have to be for more than 16 sheets. If my RC club wants to make a group purchase would it be possible?
flyn_brian is offline Find More Posts by flyn_brian
Last edited by flyn_brian; Mar 15, 2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:25 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,122 Posts
Ive been playing a bit and looking into shipping to Canada . I hope to have some time Monday to make some phone calls and confirm some prices . It seems most are Way overpriced . So far USPS came in at $39 . Funny thing i was think if i could get a bunch in Canada i could get it shipped cheaper .... Nope , from London Ontario to me the same package came up at $53 .

At 39 , thats 89 for a case plus possible Tax and handling Fee in my case 12% and a 9.95 fee so 105.95 or 6.62 a Sheet . Still way cheaper then Depron .

I'll Keep Digging
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Mar 15, 2012, 08:48 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilfor View Post
Ive been playing a bit and looking into shipping to Canada . I hope to have some time Monday to make some phone calls and confirm some prices . It seems most are Way overpriced . So far USPS came in at $39 . Funny thing i was think if i could get a bunch in Canada i could get it shipped cheaper .... Nope , from London Ontario to me the same package came up at $53 .

At 39 , thats 89 for a case plus possible Tax and handling Fee in my case 12% and a 9.95 fee so 105.95 or 6.62 a Sheet . Still way cheaper then Depron .

I'll Keep Digging
I feel like such an ungrateful modeler. I was hoping this foam would come out even cheaper than it did. I had my fingers crossed for the $50 shipped range. I can't believe that it costs so much to get foam over the boarder. There's nothing local that you could use? Just curious, of course.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:04 PM
AKA Don
Joined Dec 2002
7,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brihoo2k View Post
... I still would be willing to drive from my other house in to the plant to pick up a batch but to make the drive worth it to me it would have to be for more than 16 sheets. If my RC club wants to make a group purchase would it be possible?
I'm sure we can work something out for you and others who want to pickup a group order. Of course if it's before next Wed. we need a list of names...at least one name for each box.
Send Mike (springer), or me, an email when you are ready to workout the details.
Last edited by bz1mcr; Mar 15, 2012 at 09:14 PM.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:08 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,142 Posts
Wilfor, London is less than 2 hours from us. You could easily come pick it up!

I drive through there on a regular basis so i know it well.
SGTalon is online now Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,563 Posts
Yeah, Bri, it says you're only 190 miles away, so come on over! Closer than fred! seriously, I think after next wed (assuming we still have stock), order what you want on the website and add a note that you want to pick it up will probably be the way, unless we find we need to do some other procedure as we learn how to do this. As you probably read, the first box was a pickup, by sgtalon.

Chris: interesting situation there in Canada. Wonder what would be the situation if someone from Sarnia or Windsor just came across the river and picked it up? Probably more red tape, eh?

Den: Chris (wilfor) lives in British Columbia, just a bit farther.....
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:15 PM
fly it crash it fix it
Joined Feb 2009
169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
I'm sure we can work something out for you and others who want to pickup an order.
Send Mike (springer), or me, an email when you are ready to workout the details.
Will do. Thank you for such a fast reply. I believe when the Adams plastics sees the demand for such a product then maybe they will give you some priority. I hope you guys do well and flourish as I can see a great market for model plane foam.
flyn_brian is offline Find More Posts by flyn_brian
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:23 PM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,142 Posts
There are some nice parks in Port Huron. You could make a day of it. Get some people out flying. Deliver some foam. meet new friends.

Plus if you have a car full of airplanes, they will be less likely to notice that you have a nice big box of foam. You can just say that you build your planes with it. Just leave the box like i did.

I am in
SGTalon is online now Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:24 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,563 Posts
Just to add a bit more inceniary material to the fire, we have been inspecting the foam in each box as we do the rework to it, and culling out any with defects. The good news is that there are few, and even those are 99% usable. But I'm getting experience in handling the material, and will say that it's got a good feel, not rigid like some foams, but nicely stiff, and feels "tough" like the best of the Dow product, and it seems to have less directional grain then fanfold when I try rolling it into an arc. Maybe goodnews/badnews there, as i take advantage of the stiff direction for spanwise layout for wings and lengthwise for fuses and roll in the less stiff direction. On the other hand, it may allow for more versatility in pattern layouts. I haven't had time to cut any yet, so can't say for sure. Time and experience will tell. I'm sure y'all will be posting when you get yours.
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,394 Posts
Just to let you know, I updated the first post to maintain some relevance for this thread with history as well as purpose. Thats why the title changed. Be sure to rate this thread as well.

Thank you All!
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project