HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:59 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Subscribing
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:17 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,545 Posts
Money burning a hole in my pocket...fingers twitching around barrel of precision knife...spittle foaming from corners of mouth...low level growl coming from back of throat...Oh, wait -- that's rabies, isn't it? Okay, I'm on the wrong forum. But I'm still quite anxious to get some of that foam and start making salable planes.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Feb 22, 2012, 12:19 PM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,855 Posts
is foam Edible ??
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Feb 22, 2012, 03:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
205 Posts
What I want is white foam. Easier to airbrush on without having to prime the Blue FFF first. I hope the surface is paintable without much prep.
evapilotaz is offline Find More Posts by evapilotaz
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:28 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith459 View Post
is foam Edible ??
Biodegradable cornstarch-based foam packing peanuts from Carolina Biological Supply are. They taste like Bugles.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:43 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,763 Posts
Dont get em wet or they'll liquify !
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:50 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdofplay View Post
Dont get em wet or they'll liquify !
Which makes them a pretty nice snack But yeah, I'd be pissed if the shipper got the box wet mid-shipment.
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:05 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
You would receive a better package than the last one I got form Hobby King. Pure wasted trash and they tally wacked around and never even addressed my consumer complaint. Totally ripped off for $100.00. Probably will never buy from them again. China is not United States, no rules or honor I guess.

Freddie B is offline Find More Posts by Freddie B
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:11 PM
Flying low is expensive.
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
You would receive a better package than the last one I got form Hobby King. Pure wasted trash and they tally wacked around and never even addressed my consumer complaint. Totally ripped off for $100.00. Probably will never buy from them again. China is not United States, no rules or honor I guess.

It's really hard to beat HKs prices sometimes. Especially on batteries. Turnigy and Zippy batteries are pretty great. Maybe not the best, but they have one of the best values around. On a student's budget, I can't really afford to buy stacks of Hyperion packs. Maybe I'll try HobbyPartz's Gens Ace lipos sometime.

Anyway, I try to buy all of my other RC products from American-based companies. My favorites are HeadsUP and BPHobbies. I have several others that I go to, depending on what I'm looking for. I'll support HeadsUP any day of the week. Competitively price products AND awesome customer support. All the company needs is a more navigable website (IMO).
Old Feb 22, 2012, 10:42 PM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
It's really hard to beat HKs prices....... On a student's budget, I can't really afford to buy stacks of Hyperion packs. Maybe I'll try HobbyPartz's Gens Ace lipos sometime.

Anyway, I try to buy all of my other RC products from American-based companies. My favorites are HeadsUP and BPHobbies. I have several others that I go to, depending on what I'm looking for. I'll support HeadsUP any day of the week. Competitively price products AND awesome customer support. All the company needs is a more navigable website (IMO).
Not to de-rail this thread, but do try the HobbyPartz's Gens Ace and Sky Lipos, they are teriffic and well priced. Best of all shipping gets to you in days. Don at Strongrcmotors.com is great like HeadsUP, and BPHobbies, Tower, and others are good too. I am finding if you check around, ask in these forums, that when comparing price plus shipping, many American Based businesses do compete and have great products.

My point we are all on a budget, even if some are large budgets. I do not like to be ripped off, lied to, or swindled. The bulk of the American Companies at least have great customer service and stand behind their products and shippers have a certain guarentee of product delivered in one piece.

OK back to waiting for foam.....

Fred
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:59 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddie B View Post
You would receive a better package than the last one I got form Hobby King.
I've had two dozen orders shipped from HK in the last three and a half years and not a one of them has come through with transport damage. You had some problem with your carrier, man. Didja at least inspect the box before accepting the shipment?

The plan to ship this new foam in boxes is one of the best aspects of having a new source. No more picking through the bent-up Depron or Cellfoam 88 at the LHS to complete an order for a plane, eh?
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:22 AM
Addicted to building...
Omaha Nebraska
Joined Feb 2006
5,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
I've had two dozen orders shipped from HK in the last three and a half years and not a one of them has come through with transport damage. You had some problem with your carrier, man. Didja at least inspect the box before accepting the shipment?
I have also been ordering from HK for sometime. Several things have been DOA, like RX's, ESC's, Motors, so I just accepted that as cost of doing business.

This time it was apparent upon opening that something stabbed right through the package, airframe, and everything else. I'm sure it was at the factory or through EMS service for which I paid a premium for, not the USPS.

Who ever did it placed white packing tape over the hole, and with the regular packing tape which was also shiney, you could not see the damaged container. Do you think that white EPS foam containers with airframes in them should be shipped thousands of miles in a foam package? Worse was I had gotten sick, hospitalized, and the wife accepted the package for me. Can't blame her as I couldn't see the craftmanship type tape repair until I had the package opened and the airframe was torn and useless.

Hobby King's Customer service takes in your complaint, gives you a item number, then tells you they want pictures. They then ask for more pictures. Tell you it is going to the appropriate department for evaluation, ask for an additional picture, with areas circled (so by now you must know how to load photos into a graphic program and edit them). Finially they send you an email that they have determined the issue resolved and close the request? Never once telling you what th they did to resolve it, or why.

This whole process was to delay the BS up answer I got, so that PayPal complaint time frame expires. If I would have had the opportunity to use PayPal Resolution I would have, but HK knows how to play the game. Trust me, this has hapened to other flying buddies, and more often with defective batteries.

So sweet Hobby King, thank you for a worthless airframe that is totally destroyed, keeping My $100.00, and charging me extra to go EMS Shipping. That EMS Shipping is great because they are experts at hiding the damage from their incompitant employees, so I guess it happens a lot. I personally ship either USPS, and FedEx. With FedEx you start with a $99.00 insurance on everything, and it costs way less than EMS.

Done now, and there are now so many stateside vendors that sell similar or better items, cheaper shipping, that it almost works out to a wash, and often beats the HK 'Deal' especially if you want it quick and pay for EMS. Buy at your own risk. China has no honor with warrantees, copyrights, etc, and must figure bad relations are made up by the masses. My business here is 100% customer satisfaction, or nothing else will do. Silly Americans.

Again, back to foam. Isn't it nice these guys are good old Stateside Vendors about to start a new busisness on United states Soil. Hope you buy this foam from them instead of HK or some other foreign Company. These guys deserve a shot at success and will probably have way better customer service.

Fred
Last edited by Freddie B; Feb 23, 2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:35 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,455 Posts
I have never ordered from hk ,not that i would not want some items from them but i dont trust anyone selling in china. The rc stuff might work fine but the companys do not know what they are doing and don't want to change it either . Sorry to here about your issues with them Freddie but its great you tell the rest of us their problems of them not taking care of us the customers. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:38 AM
ich bauen groß modell flugzeug
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,855 Posts
i order from HK but only ever swiss post ! never get any dings in my packages always in perfect condintion !
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:42 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,651 Posts
We will try to have great customer service, but please do not expect perfection. Foam sheets are pretty easy to ding and dent. We plan to use UPS shipping and the boxes are their recommended strength corregated card board. That said even a 16 sheet 4" thick box of foam can be folded or peirced by mistreatment during shipping. And even normal handeling might allow the corners of some sheets to get tweaked. Only time will tell how well we can pack it and how the UPS folks will treat these light packages. They are pretty easy toss around. They almost want to fly

Bottomline expect some learning to take place and don't expect perfection.

On the Good news front..I just finished a draft of our first purchase order for foam. If partners Mike and Ken approve it could go out today.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr