HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Feb 07, 2012, 01:07 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,617 Posts
The comment above about being the fathers of stateside white foam caused a bad joke about nonoxynol-9 to pop into my head. Shame on me.

But allow me to add my thanks to the others for you guys (Ken, Mike, Don) pursuing this on behalf of the entire community and entire hobby field.
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2012, 09:59 PM
United States, HI, Kapolei
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
dz, anyword on this, the building bug really got me this time and fff is no where to be found here in el paso tx. i'm having withdrawals.....need to build....
smkn951 is offline Find More Posts by smkn951
Old Feb 09, 2012, 01:34 AM
FFF CRASH ANALYST
United States, TX, Venus
Joined Aug 2011
103 Posts
I am down for a bundle or two in a few weeks, when the tax return comes in
Tstubbs is offline Find More Posts by Tstubbs
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
It's official

Just cut out two "Foam and Tape" Cargo Planes for myself and my brother and I am officially out of not only the original (that's right original) FFF but also the new FFFIII stuff. Unfortunately, I just don't like the Dollar Store stuff at all. I built a "frog" for one of my son's friends and he had it less than a day and two crash's later and it was gone. One mild one and one with decent speed. I added carbon tubes and rods to everything along with packing tape on almost the whole thing and it still didn't handle a moderate impact. I may have to suck it up and buy 10-20 sheets of 6mm depron while I wait for this to come to fruition. You have a lot of hopes from a lot of builders riding on you right now.
Salter is offline Find More Posts by Salter
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:21 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
No preassure...lol
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 10, 2012, 07:42 PM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Well there should be pressure really because all we can do is mope and complain if it doesn't work. And all you guys can do is hope that the manufacturer can actually work with you. I'm not really concerned with the guys here that want to make this happen. I know they will try hard. I am concerned that the manufacturer won't care enough with how much we can buy at a time. Been through this "group buy" twice now and the only time it worked it took almost a year to get it to happen and it was a one time purchase. In the end though, I can suck it up, spend a couple hundred dollars and have enough depron foam to build 20 planes. 10 bucks a plane in foam isn't going to break the bank no matter how much I complain. But I don't WANT to. I hate that we have to ship the stuff from overseas. While I'm at itm it would be nice to have a LHS or a group of guys that like to build and fly together. But alas I live in Columbia SC which is kind of like the armpit of the south . Totally rooting for you guys to pull this off!! Sorry if I sound jaded
Salter is offline Find More Posts by Salter
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:17 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
I remember when i was trying to contact adams a couple years back, they wouldnt even give me the time of day. So im glad that you guys are actually talking with them about a product that might be made. I havent read all the posts so im not sure at what point this endevor is at. Just wish you guys best of luck on it.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:30 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
ya I contacted them too and they wouldn't give me the time of day either
I am just glad someone finally got through to the right people there.
apparently I wasn't persistent enough
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:00 AM
Total Noob
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
And if not... there's always DTF I remember when I was trying to get into this hobby in 2008. DTF was hated by many... now it's one of the most used products for foamy scratchbuilding.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 01:00 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
may have to start building bigger planes and use the 1/2 pink foam from home depot. then further down the road see if there's a way to cleanly cut in in half ...1/2 = 12.7 mm approximately. 6.3 mm something....if cut evenly.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:58 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkn951 View Post
may have to start building bigger planes and use the 1/2 pink foam from home depot. then further down the road see if there's a way to cleanly cut in in half ...1/2 = 12.7 mm approximately. 6.3 mm something....if cut evenly.
folks with gravity feed hot wire bow do it all the time.
it shouldn't be too hard to build a table to do that.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:06 AM
Total Noob
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
The pink foam is far more rigid though... not much flexibility to it, but it's pretty darn sturdy. I have 4 sheets of that stuff and I just bought a bundle of blue FFF (FINALLY!). Now I got DTF, Pink Foam and Blue FFF. I'll be making a drone type of plane soon for my GoPro, so pink stuff will definitely be a go-to material.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 05:09 AM
Foam Av8r
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
yes it is rigid I make bulkheads and wing ribs with the pink stuff... and wings too as a matter of fact
Old Feb 11, 2012, 08:17 AM
Joined Jan 2007
1,440 Posts
way to go bkboggy, way to let me feel jealous....fff man i wish i was back in Ca. here in el paso, HD or lowes have never heard of it......DT and pink is in abundance though
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smkn951 View Post
way to go bkboggy, way to let me feel jealous....fff man i wish i was back in Ca. here in el paso, HD or lowes have never heard of it......DT and pink is in abundance though
FFF is not easily available in CA. its crazy hard to get.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne