HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 22, 2013, 07:26 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Looking good! Thanks for posting.
Can't wait to see it finished.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 22, 2013, 11:43 PM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsteve View Post
Here's my first plane from MPF, it's a OV-10, with a 40" WS. Almost ready for final assembly and paint.
That is an awesome looking build you have going on there. I have a balsa version sitting around collecting dust that may just stay there in favor of building one like yours. Any info on the build would be great. Thanks

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:52 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsteve View Post
Here's my first plane from MPF, it's a OV-10, with a 40" WS. Almost ready for final assembly and paint.
Very nice. How are you coupling up the rudders?
I'm basing mine on these plans http://www.hammermodels.com/

I may KISS mine and not use rudders. Maybe just some differential throttles instead.

Foam hasn't showed up as yet. Delivery was confirmed on the 21st but not at my house Any ideas on how to get in contact with usps from this end?
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jan 23, 2013, 07:48 AM
Imlay City, MI
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
I started with plans from this thread (below) and modified them for my build. I'm afraid the canopy and nose aren't quite scale, but it does look a little swoopier. I've got two CF2822 800kv motors in it. It should be pulling about 240 watts and I'm anticipating it to be around 1 1/2 lbs AUW.

For the rudders, I'm just going to hook them together with a small linkage from side to side.

Should be fun, I hope!!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=ov+10
icsteve is offline Find More Posts by icsteve
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:42 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,930 Posts
Brett: I happened to overhear a conversation at the Post Office while I was waiting to ship your box (I think). It was regarding a parcel shipped to Germany. The Post Office employee mentioned that the two country's postoffices do a hand off so tracking switches from US to AU postoffice somewhere in the middle (I suppose when it hits land). When you say it shows delivery was confirmed, was that through Australia Post? (obviously we are still learning on this international stuff). I'll see if I can get some tracking info from this end, though.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:32 AM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,281 Posts
Yippeee! I finally have it.

After spending a week trying to track down a mystery recipient who turned out to be an employee at my local Post office.
Australia Post are hopeless

Anyway, no problems from the US end, dispatch was prompt and delivery (to aus at least) was fast. Only this end let me down.

So far I like what I see. Comparing it similar thickness depron it is much easier to cut, sand and bend.

Now to get to work
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:58 AM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brett.c View Post
Yippeee! I finally have it.

After spending a week trying to track down a mystery recipient who turned out to be an employee at my local Post office.
Australia Post are hopeless

Anyway, no problems from the US end, dispatch was prompt and delivery (to aus at least) was fast. Only this end let me down.

So far I like what I see. Comparing it similar thickness depron it is much easier to cut, sand and bend.

Now to get to work
WOW... Someone else just mentioned last night about a similar problem shipping a package there. Is this a common occurrence? Just curious that's all.

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:59 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,644 Posts
Who would have thought we would be sending boxes of foam almost 9500 miles?

Now Mike's house is truly Model Plane Foam Inc. world headquarters!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:56 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,930 Posts
Brett: all right! We have met the postal systems and overcome them! Enjoy your foam and don't forget to post the planes!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:19 PM
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,281 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav913 View Post
WOW... Someone else just mentioned last night about a similar problem shipping a package there. Is this a common occurrence? Just curious that's all.

John
Unfortunately it is. Auspost have contracted out their courier service which is causing problems.
But if you live in Australia you kind of expect that.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:01 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,080 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hp?t=1820026ys, this foam is amazing.

Once again I am here just amazed with this product! This airframe is currently 75% constructed. I have cut through an entire sheet so far with only one blade! How is that even possible?! I was used to depron and a new blade every 2-4 cuts.

At on point I decided to mix in some of my left over depron. This I will never try to do again! That stuff is crap! After getting used to working with MPF depron is just so fragile. It doesn't bend or cut as nicely. MPF seems to slice like butter. I have yet to have a "tear" or less than reasonably clean cut.

It is slightly less stiff, however not nearly enough to worry about.

Check out my build (link at the top). Be nice, its my first build in over a year.
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jan 30, 2013, 02:59 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,269 Posts
Hybrid Foam

Have you seen the new EzFly Icon? It looks to be a hybrid build with body made of EPP and floats made of MPF.

Sweet plane, and a neat idea!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1810124

I wonder if there will be more foamy seaplanes using the nifty submersible float system?
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:21 PM
United States, OR, Tigard
Joined Dec 2012
90 Posts
Some plans that I am using require depron size sheets of foam. (Specially rcpowers plans) Is there a good way to combine two sheet together? Does it loose any of its rigidity? I know that I could cut the pieces out of two sheets but sometimes its just convenient to have one large sheet. Plus there is less waste that way. Any ideas or thoughts on this?
jhiggy is offline Find More Posts by jhiggy
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:43 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,080 Posts
Just reposition the pieces!

An MPF sheet is 48x24, 1152in^2
Depron about 39x27, 1053in^2

Therefore you have more than enough MPF =]

Its super cheap as well!

MPF x16 sheets, 18432in^2, for $50
$1 = 368.64in^2

Depron x10 sheets, 10530in^2 for $69
$1 = 152.6in^2

That is 2.4x the product for your money....
Jwmflying14 is online now Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Jan 30, 2013, 04:52 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggy View Post
Some plans that I am using require depron size sheets of foam. (Specially rcpowers plans) Is there a good way to combine two sheet together? Does it loose any of its rigidity? I know that I could cut the pieces out of two sheets but sometimes its just convenient to have one large sheet. Plus there is less waste that way. Any ideas or thoughts on this?
If you are looking for a way to edge glue two sheets together, I can recommend the method we'd use for balsa sheets, by trimming the long edge of two sheets stacked together with a straight edge, Make one square cut through both sheets against the straight edge. Now flip the top sheet over as though hinging on the cut edge. Next pull the cut edges tight together taping the joint facing you. Now you can hinge open the gap for adhesive, then lay closed again. If you use Gorilla Glue use a small bead, flatten back out then tape the open side of the seam closed. This will yield a strong expansion free joint that requires little if any subsequent attention. With any of the contact like glues such as FoamTac do not tape the open side of the joint once the glue is in, or you may get some foam melting if there is no place for the adhesive to outgas.

Hope this helps,
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project