HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:51 PM
Registered Offender
United States, FL, Gulf Breeze
Joined Apr 2008
2,838 Posts
Got my box of MPF and CF today! Arrived in perfect shape and looks great!
thanks guys!
gatorb8 is offline Find More Posts by gatorb8
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My First FPV experience
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:57 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
Cool! I was wondering how the cf would survive the trip!

Also, I got the first international box done today, took to the Post Office and got a weight and some costs. I'll be updating the website tomorrow if it rains like they are predicting.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:51 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,838 Posts
have a dumb question:
Is the best way to store the box o foam, flat on floor?
If I store it vertical over time say half empty box, will it develop a warp?
thanks
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:05 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorb8 View Post
have a dumb question:
Is the best way to store the box o foam, flat on floor?
If I store it vertical over time say half empty box, will it develop a warp?
thanks

That is a very good question. We store this material flat in our wharehouse, as does the production facility. However, I personally store mine vertical without problems. Maybe very hot temperatures could be a concern. I have some blue and pink FFF sheets that have been stored vertically for a couple of years and there is no warping present yet.

Also mine never stays in the box long enough to matter.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:03 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
Weeelll folks the international boxes are up on the website. The button seems to work and we have a few boxes "assembled", so if anyone wants to be the guinea pig for first shipment we can give it a try! We settled on $45 for the box of 35 layers and $50 for shipping to all the countries I tested so far. Sheets are 8x40. That size was determined by the USPS Priority mail international requirements of max length of 42", girth plus length of <79".
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:06 AM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,280 Posts
Just call me the piggie from Oz.

I was itching to get some depron so that I could start building again. Hoping this stuff is better for bending etc.
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c
Old Jan 12, 2013, 01:11 AM
Australia, QLD
Joined Apr 2012
360 Posts
Wow, i can not find anything even remotely close to this price for that much foam. Well done and thankyou for your efforts with helping out the international rc community. To confirm, you aren't throwing any off cuts in this box aswell are you?
micka80ella is offline Find More Posts by micka80ella
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:06 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
Off cuts... well, not exactly. In order to get a 24x48" piece into 8x40 pieces, I cut the top 8" off then slice the 24x40 inch piece into three 8x40 inch pieces. That gives me a 24" piece and three 40" pieces from each original sheet. As I explain on the site, we fill the box with 30 8x40 pieces, 5 8x24 and a mix of 8x16 and 8x8. That way we can use nearly all we have. Hopefully that's ok with most builders. The folk I queried indicated that they could always use the smaller pieces for formers, fillers, etc.(as long as it wasn't a box full of them!) It doesn't work out even, so there is a pile of 8x8 pieces slowly growing. I suppose those will become handout samples for the Toledo show.....

And believe me, it's painful to cut that full sheet up knowing y'all would really want it just as it comes! But dimensional weight rules, and when one is shipping mostly air.....
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:48 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,928 Posts
Congrats Brett! the first international box will be on it's way to you within the hour! Please let us know how it survives the trip!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:52 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,641 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Just got my first box of MPF!

Well every great impression deserves and equally great opening statement.... So here goes nothin!

MPF, is solely going to get me back into scratch building! When the UPS man knocked at my door and handed me this huge box, a smile instantly grew towards my ears. Wow, already I can tell I am getting much more foam than a standard Depron order. This is when my curiosity got the best of me, I had to check it out. I pulled out a sheet (and wow its light!, although it has been a while since I had a full sheet of depron in my hand, my senses might be off...), I instantly noticed some "waves" of color. It seemed like these waves could possibly be grain, just as some foams, woods, etc. I cut myself a 3" wide strip, that was the full width of the sheet o foam (about 18-20 inches or so?). First things first, it seems to be equally stiff in both directions. I then was curious how this stuff bends. That was the truly amazing part.... With Depron it takes care and finesse to get a tight radius curve. So of course, without any care in the world I started to bend that strip, the first bend was less than a 1" radius with no tearing or cracking. I then put two pieces together (to make 12mm hick foam) and tested to see how they do under pressure... Well it definiely dents, but not the way depron does. Depron as you push on it you can just feel the cells crack and break underneath your finger, his stuff just seems to compress. I poured a bit of hot water on it, and walla! Back to the original shape. Then it hit me! This damn MPF just ruined the 3 planes I drew up while waiting for the foam! Those plans are too boxy! They were designed for the stiff cumbersome Depron! Now I realize I desperately need to adjust me designs to incorporate the beautiful curves that MPF can provide!

Thanks everyone for creating and providing such an awesome resource!
Thanks for the kind words. Be sure to post some pictures of the redesigned planes showing the beautiful curves.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:13 AM
Registered Offender
Joined Apr 2008
2,838 Posts
My first MPF plane is on the build table! it's a 18.75" wingspan profile version of the F-22 Raptor by rc.tomhe.net
I'm building a superquickbuild by eliminating all the slots and just using a foam cutter for the fuse and rudder angles. Going with a 1.9# EPP fuse for dorkability!After breaking the rudders off my 28" wingspan depron version when the wind yanked it out of my hand, I'm looking forward to the more forgiving qualities of the MPF foam.
I'll keep ya posted!
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:03 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Oh, yeah, gator. You're gonna love the combo of EPP for the fuse and MPF for the wings and control surfaces. Don't forget to tape up the front of the plane and the wing leading edges with 3M Extreme tape. Then you can flop the thing into the ground with impunity. Well, almost.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:18 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
It doesn't work out even, so there is a pile of 8x8 pieces slowly growing. I suppose those will become handout samples for the Toledo show.....
What no 8" PBF Kit for the indoor season ?
Or turn them into chuck gliders for the kids
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:57 PM
Imlay City, MI
Joined Dec 2006
94 Posts
I've been building my first MPF plane, 40" OV-10, and just love this stuff. I see folks asking for thinner foam, but I'm wondering about thicker, maybe 1.5 to 2" thick. This would allow me to cut wings without all the laminating. Pics of the new build to follow.
icsteve is offline Find More Posts by icsteve
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:31 PM
Foam is where the heart is
Australia, NSW, Como
Joined Aug 2010
2,280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by icsteve View Post
I've been building my first MPF plane, 40" OV-10,
That's exactly what I have in mind for my first foray into MPF.
Look forward to seeing the pics
brett.c is offline Find More Posts by brett.c