SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:01 PM
Cobra Driver
Roxboro, NC
Joined Dec 2005
276 Posts
If things work out I am also interested in a box.
RedTwilight is online now Find More Posts by RedTwilight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:32 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,317 Posts
What no website up yet
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:12 PM
United States, OH, Cuyahoga Falls
Joined Oct 2011
184 Posts
Would love a box or two! Ill be watching for more news.
abieex is offline Find More Posts by abieex
Old Jan 09, 2012, 07:57 PM
Fenton,MO USA
Joined Aug 2005
1,273 Posts
Been waiting patiently for great news. Hope to get a box or two.
BlazerB52 is offline Find More Posts by BlazerB52
Old Jan 21, 2012, 10:35 AM
USA, SC, Irmo
Joined Dec 2000
272 Posts
Just Saw this

I tend to not be on every day so I missed this. Quite some time ago Viceroy and MSmith and others did this exact thing with a production run and I had dropped of my money with MSmith and then it didn't happen for 6 months so he gave me my money back. Then I travelled to South America with my family and the production run came through when I was in South America instead of my much more reasonable location of South Carolina. I'll buy 3-6 boxes as soon as they are available. This would be the best belated Christmas present for me. I've been holding onto the last 5 sheets of the original FFF for one final special project. How wonderful if it's not the end. I've got 3 other people here waiting to buy a box each in Columbia as well.

Salter
Salter is offline Find More Posts by Salter
Last edited by Salter; Jan 21, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Can't spell
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:13 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
Good news -Bad News

Good news-This week we received a "sample box of 15 sheets" from the manufacturer. The box survived UPS shipping with only some very minor corner crushes that just barely reached the material inside. The color is very clean bright white and the surface finish was good. Sheets layed perfectly flat under there own weight but did have a slight curvature when standing on edge. Overall appearance was good.

Bad news- Although it may be usable for building model planes it was not very close to our specifications for thickness or density. The sheets were much closer to 4 mm thick than the 6 requested. And yet the sheets weighed 7 oz. each! That means the sheets were much thinner but, still heavier than our specification. The density was almost double our target!

We are working with the manufacturer to understand why the sample is so far off target. For now it is a bit of a setback. We had been hoping the first samples would be perfect and we would soon have foam to sell. But, instead we are reminded again that perfection is a goal seldom acheived.

Stay tuned- As soon as we can be reasonably sure we will get product close to our target specifications we will quickly order a small production run of about 100 boxes of 16 sheets each. Once that order is placed we will begin accepting Pre-orders from participants in this thread. Since the participant count is approaching 300 we expect the first 100 boxes to go quickly. We will tell you how to place pre-orders with an announcement post right here as soon as we can. Stay Tuned!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 21, 2012, 12:28 PM
ct. usa
Joined Oct 2003
15 Posts
I use about 1&1/2 bundels a year.
If you get what we use I would buy box.
Thanks for all your time . bigbob
bigbob is offline Find More Posts by bigbob
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:05 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,625 Posts
bigbob,
Welcome aboard. Please add you requirements to the poll at the top of the thread.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Jan 21, 2012, 02:10 PM
Seattle, USA
Joined Oct 2009
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
Good news-This week we received a "sample box of 15 sheets" from the manufacturer.... Stay Tuned!
Don, thanks for the update, not to mention all the work you're doing with the manufacturer.
jeffsch is online now Find More Posts by jeffsch
Old Jan 21, 2012, 04:31 PM
Roseville,CA
Joined May 2008
35 Posts
Thanks for your hard work.

I would also like a box. Added my requirements in the poll.
CrashM@ster is offline Find More Posts by CrashM@ster
Old Jan 23, 2012, 11:28 PM
Foam Av8r
In Teh Garage (Rossville, GA. USA)
Joined Sep 2008
3,351 Posts
The bad news is not bad news for me.
I personally like the 4mm thickness so send those 15 sheets my way!
RogueTitan is offline Find More Posts by RogueTitan
Old Jan 24, 2012, 01:06 AM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
dz1sfb has mentioned something about High Performance Underlayment by Dow, which is supplied by Allied Building Materials... does anyone know the specific link on Allied site? There are a lot of different versions of their high performance underlayment, and I'm not sure which one you guys are referring to (they're K/F, P/F, etc, etc).

What do Phlatprinter owners use anyways?

If you guys are able to have manufacturer produce a foam product with good weight and quality, I'm up for 1-2 bundles a year to begin with and it'll probably go up from there (I'm still a beginner). My CNC is almost complete, so I'll be using several bundles a year easily, if not more. I put my vote on the poll.

It'll be nice to have a steady quality RC foam supplies. EPP and Depron are way too expensive in my opinion... Will this be cheaper?
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Jan 24, 2012, 03:57 AM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
in 2 years i have consumed
2 $40 bundles of 1/4" dow bluecor
1 $40 bundle of 1/2" dow bluecor

and i neither overly like electrics, nor particularly like anything about foam over balsa or composite or SPAD for that matter.

you can just... knock out odd scratch planes so much faster than balsa and if it's a bad designs who cares? you're out like two hours and 5 dollars of materials lol
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:33 AM
Cleveland, Ohio
Joined Sep 2006
640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkboggy View Post

What do Phlatprinter owners use anyways?
I use mostly 3mm depron on the phlatprinter and some 6mm so yes, I would buy at least 2 boxes of this stuff but was hoping there could be 3mm added later on

Thanks for all the effort on this!!

John
xtremeRCpilot is online now Find More Posts by xtremeRCpilot
Old Jan 24, 2012, 07:37 AM
RMS
Westport, MA
Joined Oct 2004
882 Posts
Bad foam?

Don,

If you don't have use for the 15 bad sheets, I'd be interested in them. PM me. I NEED FOAM!

Rick
RMS is offline Find More Posts by RMS