SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:52 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,368 Posts
Do as i say not as i do ..... and i mean it
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:17 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,747 Posts
Experimental foam

Got a piece of 1.5 mm foam from Adam's to see what can be done with it. 7.1g per square foot.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dz1sfb; Oct 26, 2012 at 10:25 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:22 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Holy mackerel. Sign me up.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:26 PM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
I really like the MPF with or without glue. Had a bowl this morning with 2% and Splenda.
Just finished my first foamie in a long while. What a pleasure working with MPF instead of the blue stuff. I built a derivitive of the Snowball float plane only it isn't round. 2 foot square with rounded corners. Wing area of 3.4 sq ft and all up weight of 10.5 oz. 3 oz per sq ft. When the wind quits blowing 25 mph next May I'll see how it floats in the air and on the water.

Jim
Proud to be from S.E. Michigan. Home of MPF and some car companies.
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:31 PM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
Ken,
MPF frame with 1.5 foam skin. You'll be flying F3P at the dome this winter.
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:33 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,368 Posts
Ken that looks really nice . Interested to hear what you think about it. I knew i was putting off my P51 build skinning for a reason .
Wilfor is offline Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:51 PM
Re-Kitting Expert :o
Bullhead City, Arizona
Joined Jan 2005
1,689 Posts
Wow! Might make for some good Micro Indoor Models!! I would like to try some of that too if they get you any more!
GorillaBob is offline Find More Posts by GorillaBob
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:36 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,747 Posts
Nice to hear the positive feedback guys!

Springer, Bz1mcr, and myself all have some of this material to play with. It has a very pronounced curl in it due to coming off the production roll, and not having gone through a secondary process yet.

The plan is to bake some flat and see how it behaves. Seems best suited for micro models and skinning.

In its present state, it can be curled pretty tight in its natural curl direction without creasing, but roll it in the other direction and it creases easily.

We'll keep talking about it here,
Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
QUESTION
New to this thread
Looks like one cannot use the CA glue.
Do you have to use a WATER BASE PAINT?
SARG5
from Kansas
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:05 AM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
572 Posts
Hi Sarg5, You can use the foam safe CA without a problem but most guys are using the white Gorilla Glue. A few are experimenting with Foam Tack at the moment also.

Paint wise you can use the non-water based paint as long as you spray from approx. 12+ inches away so that the thinner in the paint disperses before hitting the foam. I've used Krylon rattle cans this way and it does not harm the foam. I would strongly suggest using the water based craft paints though as there is a HUGE selection it's less expensive, sprays well through an airbrush, or can be applied with a brush. I have had no problems with it flaking off any of my planes yet.
Hope this helps.

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Oct 26, 2012, 10:23 AM
SARG5
10 Miles north of Russell, Ks. on US281 hy
Joined Oct 2009
655 Posts
Thank you
I have been Profile building out of the blue and pink foam. Use Foan Tack, gorilla glue.
FOR INFORMATION for more foam
If anyone has an RV trailor factory close by. Take a look at the foam they are using inside their walls. I went to the NU WAY factory. Not sure of the BRAND NAME. Blue foam.
They use 3/4, 1in and 2 in. foam. Have used all. They also have a special glue that they use for their foam. Purchased a qt. A couple tips. Let it set to tacky. WHEN IT TOUCHES. IT IS THERE. Never put together wet. Will also eat through.
On the Gorilla glue. took me the longest time to read the directions. Wet the surface before applying the glue. Sure works better.
Now, all I have to do is see where I can purchase the foam you all are talking about.
PS
One more thing.
How does this foam stack up against EPP foam for strength???? I am going to try and move from PROFILE BUILD to more of a Simi-profile build. More to move batt. and ESC equipment inside.
Winter projects.
SOMETHING TO PLAY WITH
SARG5
BUILDING, FLYING AND SEEING THE COUNTRY WE DEFEND
SARG5 is offline Find More Posts by SARG5
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:04 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
great minds.... More pix of the "new stuff", and some qualifiers. Adams was reluctant to let us have this partial roll, as they don't sell roll stock, as it's an "in-process" material with potential for defects that they will cull out in their post processing. So whether we can get this to sell is still very unclear. But establishing a demand will help, of course...

My 1 square foot piece came in at 7.4 gm for a 3.26 lb/cuft density. It measured 1.5 to 1.6mm thickness. The surface is softer than MPF, and a little firmer than Readiboard. It has visible but hard to measure (maybe .5mm max but mostly less) waves which look obvious in the roll, but much less in sizes we might lay on a fuse or wing. The pieces we have are from a roll end (center) and have the most pronounced curl we would expect. At this point there is no way to eliminate the waves or curl in process and Adams was pretty clear that they are not interested in developing a flattening process (not a dig on them, it's just that the stuff they make from it doesn't require the sheet to be flat, and our usage will always be insignificant relative to their mainstream products). As Ken said, a user can likely achieve a flat surface by baking between flat glass sheets or perhaps leaving it between sheets out in a summer sun. We'll be trying this and report what we find. All that said, it is a really interesting looking foam, and we can see several areas that it might be used, so who knows, at some point we may actually have the skinning products!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,938 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SARG5 View Post
Thank you
Now, all I have to do is see where I can purchase the foam you all are talking about.
How does this foam stack up against EPP foam for strength????
Sarg5: The foam we are all talking about (MPF) is here: modelplanefoam.com

MPF is basically the same as unskinned fanfold, as far as strength and stiffness is concerned ( it's slightly different material and slightly different processing), so the comparison to EPP is essentially the same for FFF and MPF. We and folk who've used MPF found that it's a bit more "tough" and resilient than FFF especially if compared to the Owens Corning pink. It's significantly stiffer than EPP at equivalent thicknesses as you might expect. Many guys have reported that it's as damage resistant as EPP in crashes, although that may be a bit optimistic

almost forgot: on the paint, Ken got us started on using the dayglo fluorescent marking paints available at Walmart in spray cans for great visibility and orientation coloring. It gives great color density at very dry mist spray. You want to use a dry spray, at least a foot away and let it flash before recoating if you use any rattle can spray, though. And don't forget colored packing tape, which not only adds color, but significant strength and stiffness to the build.
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by springer; Oct 26, 2012 at 11:18 AM. Reason: added paint info
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:52 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Don't forget to wipe yer sheets of MPF down with denatured alcohol prior to doing anything else with them. This eliminates any leftover release agents, dust, etc. I have had no problems adhering to or coloring MPF even without this treatment, but it's a smart idea with any foam product of any kind.

As for gluing: I use at least a dozen different adhesives to put planes together. Each type of joint has its own demands, and I have an adhesive for that. Very few glues can not be used on MPF if you know what you are doing.

And as for painting: if you want to be sure to protect the foam you can use a clear spray "workable fixatif" like Krylon #1306. This is what artists use on pencil drawings and such to prevent smudging. You still have to be careful applying the fixatif, because it uses the same kind of keytone-based solvents as transport for the fixatif itself. But once that surface is applied you can do anything to the foam without fear of eating it up.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 26, 2012, 11:53 AM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcfetterly View Post
I really like the MPF with or without glue. Had a bowl this morning with 2% and Splenda.
Just finished my first foamie in a long while. What a pleasure working with MPF instead of the blue stuff. I built a derivitive of the Snowball float plane only it isn't round. 2 foot square with rounded corners. Wing area of 3.4 sq ft and all up weight of 10.5 oz. 3 oz per sq ft. When the wind quits blowing 25 mph next May I'll see how it floats in the air and on the water.

Jim
Proud to be from S.E. Michigan. Home of MPF and some car companies.
Any pics of it Sounds cool!
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: flying penguin