HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:16 AM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
All you Polaris guys should be keeping the upper fuselage compartment water tight by mounting the ESC with the heat sink sticking up through the upper skin. The ESC can be held in place with RTV or something that will keep the water out. That way you don't need any holes to bring in cooling air.
Corosion X is the way to go . joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 09:30 AM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,962 Posts
Hey, Useless... it's just a design choice. I had almost 50 flights on Polaris.Mk.1 before a midair did her in. About half the flights were ROW and I never had a problem. Even when she flipped once, little water entered... you ever hold a container upside down and push it under water?

All you profile guys should build something with a fuselage by mounting a second piece of foam parallel to the one you got. The RX can be protected from the outside world.. That way you will use more of this wonderful MPF building material.

davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 05:04 PM
TonyS
United States, AR
Joined May 2010
602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Useless Geek View Post
All you Polaris guys should be keeping the upper fuselage compartment water tight by mounting the ESC with the heat sink sticking up through the upper skin. The ESC can be held in place with RTV or something that will keep the water out. That way you don't need any holes to bring in cooling air.
Geek,

Like most scratch builds or kit assemblies it is the builders choice. Polaris requires a hatch to change batteries, an option is another hatch to access ESC/receiver/servos, etc. I chose to make my ESC's water resistant through the use of Liquid Tape with my first Polaris and Corrosion X with the second and the XL, which has the ESC mounted with heat sink through the upper skin.

To date I have dunked all three, and had seam leaks and depron cracks on the first Polaris. All three receivers and ESCs have gotten wet...no malfunctions after drying for a couple of days.

TonyS
tonystro is offline Find More Posts by tonystro
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:20 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
Well, that's another advantage of using MPF over Depron -- no stress cracks in yer seaplanes! In fact, I had not even considered building any seaplanes (I hate water, it's wet) until I saw how MPF responds to forming stresses. A seaplane built from MPF won't start leaking on its second flight, nor will it suddenly gather water in places you thought were sealed up, nor will it commit any other stupidity, all because a panel made from MPF won't develop stress cracks at its edges. Depron seaplanes do all of the above. I know because I've seen it. (Other flyboys' planes; I ain't gots no seaplanes.)

Now I'm thinking about getting at least one seaplane done before the cold weather sets in because a lot of my FBs have seaplanes and they tell me I'm missing out on some great times. One guy has a largish pond right behind his condo and a bunch of people fly right there. I'd like to join 'em if I thought I had a plane that would remain dry. An MPF plane will do that.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:44 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,283 Posts
well, my last bach of MPF didnt last long, just ordered another batch!!!!

found great glue to use with mpf, "Foam Tac" awesome stuff with mpf! also use it to make foam tac hinges on all the builds so far!!!!
all the pics are with foam tac and mpf

i got the foam tac from NEAT fair this past month, its not in the market as of then but i believe it is or soon be, made by Beacon glue,

heres the link to the distributor for foam tac build and test if you guys are interested
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741896

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:46 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,283 Posts
well, my last bach of MPF didnt last long, just ordered another batch!!!!

found great glue to use with mpf, "Foam Tac" awesome stuff with mpf! also use it to make foam tac hinges on all the builds so far!!!!
all the pics are with foam tac and mpf

i got the foam tac from NEAT fair this past month, its not in the market as of then but i believe it is or soon be, made by Beacon glue,

heres the link to the distributor for foam tac build and test if you guys are interested
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1741896
heres mpf w/ foam tac hinge
foam tac glue hinge (0 min 25 sec)

-pete
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:19 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jun 2009
3,426 Posts
I have been to the beacon glue site and even called them to find some .Their places to buy it does me no help around here.I have a hobbylobby store here who i dont realy know how their workers can tie their shoes in the morning let alone know if they sell it. I also have a michals store around here but they dont stock half of what they say they do.Iam going to try to call both in the morning to find foam tak and maybe i can find someone who is alert there. I truely think beacon should contact more hobby shops and sell there or have mpf sell it for them ,then we would at least know where to get it for shure. joe
cracksmeup is offline Find More Posts by cracksmeup
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:45 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,567 Posts
I have used the Beacon Foam Tac as well, and like it for various MPF applications. I bought mine from their website.

Maybe MPF can stock this product along with Gorilla Glue White Formula. Not a promise, but a thought starter. We are going to add carbon fiber to our offerings.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:49 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,785 Posts
Geek: the superTwin that shows as my latest blog comment has an MPF fuselage (wing is a recycled blucore Trainer1.5 wing hence the big T in the name) The fuse is the side profile of the T1.5 made into a full box fuse (upside down and added step). It's a really fun flyer off the pond, so I can heartily suggest you consider trying a seaplane now that we have the good building materials availablel!
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:52 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,543 Posts
We'll see. Water is still wet, but I have a lot more time available now that my current client is limiting me to 40 hours per week. That sucks, but it means I can build more aircraft for myself and others.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:54 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,785 Posts
wow that was fast! The trick for me and water planes is to have a long stick and a small spincast rod and reel with a coat hanger hook. That way I can fish it out when I do something stupid. . . . . .
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:47 PM
Unemployed, Homeless, Happy
Joined Apr 2006
67 Posts
I wondered if anyone had tried the Loctite GO2 Glue. A search only shows a couple of posts about it. I bought a bottle today and glued some dollar tree foam together and to balsa. Nice to use, it doesn't foam so it's much cleaner than white Gorilla Glue and doesn't require water (I still have some of that on my fingers from last week, the glue, not water). It's about the consistancy of thick CA. It sets in 30 minutes so there is some working time and fully cures in 24 hours. Loctite says it's good for polystyrene. We'll see how it rips apart tomorrow. If it's good maybe I can build a neat SeaBee that floats after a little bounce like Stringers. (really enjoyed the video) Oh, wait a minute, it says "water resistant". Is that something like "bug repellent" that only works a little?
jcfetterly is offline Find More Posts by jcfetterly
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:21 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,609 Posts
I like FoamTac for making good looking joints, but for strength nothing compares to Gorilla glue!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,785 Posts
Hey, guys, I have updated the website and started a gallery of MPF planes. I'll be updating it as time allows.

Also, have the shipping costs for Canada and AK/HI built into the paypal button. Hopefully it will work correctly. Anyone want to be the guinea pig for that?
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:04 PM
RC Adddict
Canada, BC, Williams Lake
Joined Jan 2010
4,275 Posts
Quit lookin at me .....
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor