HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:44 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
United Kingdom, London
Joined Dec 2010
6,823 Posts
Got this lil Ripper done...

Hope to build on with MPF though im Worried about Frieght cost to the UK

K

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1739422
Keenan smith is online now Find More Posts by Keenan smith
Last edited by Keenan smith; Sep 25, 2012 at 01:50 PM. Reason: forgot link..
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:51 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
Had a thought today (I know I know)

A buddy of mine is a giant scale gas warbird kind of flyer and always hassling me to get into giant scale.

I've looked at them and I love them (big warbirds) but I'm not going gas, I'm not a good enough pilot for expensive models, and I can't afford that kind of cost.

So while looking at some beautiful huge ARFs from places like Tower and Maxford, I had a thought about doing a WW1 biplane like the Tiger Moth in foam board. My first thought was to do it in pink foam board or something like that and get in touch with my inner Otto Dieffenbach and bang something out. A ww1 biplane classes as a warbird, as a biplane it's legal as a giant at 60" rather than 80".

Then I remembered some people had done some really neat things with laminating MPF together recently, and I thought I'd chime in and see if people had any thoughts about the overall idea?

I'm constantly going "oo I want to build that" and then not following through, this will likely be no different, but I wanted to at least put the idea up.

If it ever becomes something real I'll make a thread and a build log and go hauling all over the internet looking for plans to adapt and plagiarize.

Whatcha think? Am I nuts? Think a 60" Tiger Moth from MPF that ran on 4-6s packs is viable?

I pity da Foo'
BrownEyedFool is offline Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:18 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,160 Posts
I'm not sure a training aircraft from the 1930s qualifies as a War Bird, but I am sure it's not a "ww1 biplane."
That being said, I think turning some MPF into a 60" Tiger Moth is a very good idea indeed.

Do a Google Image search on 'shuttleworth tiger moth' for a spectacular paint scheme.
Whiskers is offline Find More Posts by Whiskers
Last edited by Whiskers; Sep 25, 2012 at 04:24 PM.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:38 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
Oops fell into the biplane = ww1 trap, though generally any plane with a military history is accepted at the warbird fly ins I've seen. And could be any military associated biplane really, just would aim to pick one known as a solid flyer that's not terribly hard to model
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:53 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,328 Posts
BEF,
I don't know if you have seen it, but there are a number of giant scale foamies out there that are absolutely stunning.

1. Keith Sparks 1/4 scale P-40
2. 8 ft. B-17 (this ones been flown indoors)
3. a full (I think) scale Cri-Cri (also flown indoors) is in a video in the next link.

Several videos of all these in this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1607299

Just to name a few. However it does take some stick-to-it-ness to undertake such a project. Sure sounds like fun.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:15 PM
RC Adddict
150 mile house B.C. Canada
Joined Jan 2010
4,058 Posts
BEF i made Steves DR1 triplane out of dollarstore foam at a 48" span . Enlarging it to 60 wouldnt be much of a stretch . Its a very impressive flyer
Wilfor is online now Find More Posts by Wilfor
Old Sep 26, 2012, 09:24 AM
You're killin' me Smalls
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
I've seen the 8 foot B-17 thread and read through much of it previously, and have seen the 10 foot indoor C47. I've got the magazine that sparks' big P40 appears in and have read a chunk of that thread on it too.

The Cri Cri is both beautiful and ridiculous, based on the specs on wikipedia I'm too heavy to fly in the full scale one.

Wilf, sounds pretty cool, though I've heard triplanes are a handful to fly, and I'd probably pass based on complexity.

New thread coming up.

Think I will start a thread (or maybe even a blog post) to spitball ideas and pros and cons of the various designs.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:07 AM
Marlborough, Massachussetts, United States
Joined May 2002
1,856 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bz1mcr View Post
I am thinking 2'X4' sheets in thicknesses of 1.8 mm, 3 mm and 6 mm.
What do you think?
Any news on this? I'm getting more into building micro planes these days and will need to order some thin foam (2 or 3 mm) in the near future.
BrianRickman is offline Find More Posts by BrianRickman
Old Sep 27, 2012, 07:13 AM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,527 Posts
We are still considering it but there has not been a lot of interest expressed here and once the decision is made it will be a couple of months before we will be selling it. At best, the Depron like material will not be available for several months.
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 28, 2012, 10:19 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
Hey, the less like Depron it is the better for me. Man, I am getting to hate that stuff. The way it cracks, chips, galls, and generally gives me grief. I can't even make a simple project out of Depron any more without it involving lots of sanding, filling with spackle, more sanding, the use of words I'd prefer others not know I have in my vocabulary, and then some sanding. Hell with it. MPF all the way.
A Useless Geek is online now Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:34 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,426 Posts
What is the best way to flatten the foam if it has a bow in it?
rcrich is offline Find More Posts by rcrich
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:33 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrich View Post
What is the best way to flatten the foam if it has a bow in it?
Bake method: Lay between two pieces of plate glass (this is for flatness) and bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.

No bake method: Roll in the opposite direction.

I prefer the bake method, but have not needed it with this product. Even the early product that had some curl was not a problem once the model was built.

Ken
dz1sfb is online now Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Oct 04, 2012, 08:57 PM
Altitude is my friend...
Southern California
Joined May 2009
1,369 Posts
Laminating MPF with WBPU

We're in the process of moving into our new home. The previous owners left a 26-inch-wide countertop behind in the garage, along with the perfect amount of perfectly-sized heavy floor tiles for covering a 48" x 24" space with a double layer of heavy tile. In other words, they left us with a perfect MPF Laminating Station. See the photos below.

We move in a week, so I'll be booked solid for two weeks, which will ensure that these four-into-two sheets of MPF, with water-based polyurethane varnish as the glue, will be completely dry and cured.

Next step will be to cut them up into 38-inch biplane parts. I'm really anxious to see what the bare parts weigh. Whatever it is, and it won't be much, half of it will be the additional weight "penalty" that I'll pay to have a phenomenally tough and rugged 3D biplane. I suspect that penalty will be one that I can live with.

(BTW, it took slightly less than a pint of WBPU varnish to glue up the four sheets into two. I laid it on in one thick coat on each sheet.)

I'll report back in a couple of weeks.
Depronicus is offline Find More Posts by Depronicus
Old Oct 05, 2012, 11:13 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,798 Posts
I finished Polaris.Mk.2 tonight and also added a camera mount in the cockpit of the "Vin Fizz" Slowly.

Both are MPF scratchbuilds.

I'll be trying to fly both tomorrow.

Y'all sell good stuff!
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 06, 2012, 01:34 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,535 Posts
All you Polaris guys should be keeping the upper fuselage compartment water tight by mounting the ESC with the heat sink sticking up through the upper skin. The ESC can be held in place with RTV or something that will keep the water out. That way you don't need any holes to bring in cooling air.
A Useless Geek is online now Find More Posts by A Useless Geek