HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: How much foam do you consume?
1 bundle or less per year 83 33.88%
1-2 bundles per year 98 40.00%
2-6 bundles per year 42 17.14%
1-2 bundles per month 7 2.86%
2-4 bundles per month 4 1.63%
4 or more bundles per month 11 4.49%
Voters: 245. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 18, 2012, 12:22 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,442 Posts
Interesting, you don't happen to remember who was selling it and how much they got for it do you? (capitalism, ain't it great?)
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:11 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Interesting, you don't happen to remember who was selling it and how much they got for it do you? (capitalism, ain't it great?)
Mike,
It was Dennis's bud Stephen Rosema. He had pm'd me about permission to do so.

Ken
dz1sfb is offline Find More Posts by dz1sfb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Mini H Quad Project
Old Sep 18, 2012, 02:15 PM
You're killin' me Smalls
United States, NJ, Hillsborough Township
Joined Sep 2011
1,456 Posts
I thought it was brilliant personally, another avenue to expand the exposure and awareness of this stuff. He didn't sell a ton of it but the more the word spreads the better.
BrownEyedFool is online now Find More Posts by BrownEyedFool
Old Sep 18, 2012, 03:48 PM
Build straight - Fly twisty
Australia, QLD, Little Mountain
Joined Feb 2010
4,158 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownEyedFool View Post
He didn't sell a ton of it but the more the word spreads the better.
Understandable! A ton is about 6,095 sheets.
That's a big ask...
Whiskers is online now Find More Posts by Whiskers
Old Sep 18, 2012, 04:25 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,442 Posts
Steve,eh? We met him at Toledo. Good on him! Hope he made enough to finally finish the planes he had stacked up! Of course anyone can buy a box and resell, and every sheet sold is an ad, eh?
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2012, 08:08 PM
AKA Don
United States, MI, Houghton Lake
Joined Dec 2002
7,526 Posts
For the record we are planning on selling at the JRIEFestival in early Nov. Hopefully, with lot's of foam! Buy it by the sheet, or Box...No Shipping!
bz1mcr is offline Find More Posts by bz1mcr
Old Sep 19, 2012, 05:52 AM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,323 Posts
Just PM'd Rasterize (that's Stephen) who said he sold half a dozen sheets. He stated that he really wanted to help get the word out to keep this product alive. Thanked him for being an ambassador for Model Plane Foam.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 12:37 PM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,529 Posts
You guys are gonna have lots and lots of ambassadors who will spread the fame for you. I know that the 3D guys who've been hanging out at places like Manville Oaks in West Chicago (western Chicagoland) have been pretty impressed with what my MPF planes can do. These are folks who spend a large chunk of change on EPP planes because of their supposed "indestructibility." When they see MPF perform in a similar vein and realize that it costs half or less of EPP then they get interested. Heh.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:18 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
632 Posts
I was wondering about the comparison to epp,since that's what I've been liking lately.The last few planes I made of dtf maybe last a week,or till I tire of fixing them.I guess the only way to find out is to buy some.
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Sep 19, 2012, 01:39 PM
Slipping the Surly Bonds
Attica, MI
Joined Dec 2006
10,323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maurice076 View Post
I was wondering about the comparison to epp,since that's what I've been liking lately.The last few planes I made of dtf maybe last a week,or till I tire of fixing them.I guess the only way to find out is to buy some.
The Propshop has some of our product there if want to try a single sheet first without commiting to a whole box.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2012, 02:20 PM
United States, MI, Warren
Joined Aug 2011
632 Posts
Oh I did not know this,Thanks Ken
maurice076 is offline Find More Posts by maurice076
Old Sep 20, 2012, 06:39 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
Weird swap shop, you dropped your stuff off and they handled the sale. The box said $5 a sheet.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
Old Sep 20, 2012, 09:59 AM
just Some Useless Geek
Chicagoland
Joined Oct 2008
2,529 Posts
Maurice, don't forget that 3M Extreme tape is your friend. Tape up the wing leading edges and the underside of the fuselage and those MPF planes will last a goodly long time. I am surprised that my first MPF Longhorn is showing no signs of wear other than the outright damage I have inflicted on it through collision. All my FFF planes are displaying stress fractures, warping, etc. Not the MPF. I am just loving this stuff. My custom plane customers are gonna love it, too. I've already talked a few people out of EPP orders and into MPF.
A Useless Geek is offline Find More Posts by A Useless Geek
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:22 PM
GLMS
Michigan
Joined Jan 2007
567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
Any of you MAF people tried hot melt on it to see how badly it melts....or not?

I use both in some of models, the white GG to assemble the models with and hot glue to reinforce in the typical fillet type areas, ie. wing roots, tail feather joints etc.... I use it to reinforce those areas that seem to experience high stress loads. Weight gain if used sparingly is minimal but the increase in strength helps tremendously when flying combat planes that are prone to contact. The trick (for me at least) to using hot glue is using an adjustable soldering iron control available from Radio Shack. Even the low temp glue guns are to hot to use on foam, but with this device you can turn the heat down even lower to a point that just barley deforms the foam. All three of the guns I use are slightly different so testing on scrap pieces is the best way to find an acceptable setting. The MPF foam and FFF are pretty similar so if you are used to working with FFF then your temp settings should be pretty close.

I hope this helps.....

John
mav913 is offline Find More Posts by mav913
Old Sep 20, 2012, 02:40 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,507 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mav913 View Post
...Even the low temp glue guns are to hot to use on foam, ....

John
FWIW, I use hot glue in the same way and for quick repairs... I have a mini low temp gun (the ones for a buck or so at the local craft shop) and even holding the nozzle on the MAF doesn't melt it. It seems to have enough heat as it blends INTO the foam to make a nice strong joint.
My main glue for MAF is FoamTac.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2