HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Should the Aerial Photo contests require new pics, or allow previously posted ones?
New pics only, taken during the 2 week contest window 29 76.32%
Users can pick an archive shot they've posted before 9 23.68%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:54 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
POLL: Please vote for this AP contest rule

We've had several aerial photog contests now, and the last two have stipulated "new photos only" to encourage contestants to go out and get a new shot within the 2 week "window".
I thought this might help to generate lots of new photos for the forum, but it does exclude some really nice shots if the photo happens to have been posted before.

If we don't allow previously posted photos, we'll be missing some great shots in the contest. (that we may or may not have seen when they were posted previously. Since the contest gets a ton of hits, pics get more exposure.)

If we do allow them, the "competition" feeling may be lost some since there's no urgency to go out and try to get a good shot. Newcomers will be at a disadvantage. Well see "the same shot" sometimes.

You guys decide.

This poll will be open for 2 days only.
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Last edited by Steve Nolan (eBird); Sep 23, 2003 at 11:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:06 PM
MX
Embedded Systems Engineer
Grass Valley, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,732 Posts
I'd propose that they be new photos taken within the last
couple of months (or some time period we agree on). We have
plenty of times where weather or other conditions (job, family,
soccer) won't even permit a flight within a 2 week window.

MX
MX is offline Find More Posts by MX
Old Sep 23, 2003, 01:10 PM
Vermont
Joined Mar 2002
2,706 Posts
Mine was a previously unposted photo, but one I had taken before the contest. Should this be a third option or is that lumped with all photos before the contest? I also took it in the last 2 weeks, but before I knew the contest requirements.
fdisk is offline Find More Posts by fdisk
Old Sep 23, 2003, 02:07 PM
Lakeville Minnesota USA
Joined Jul 2002
1,588 Posts
We should not change contest rules once a contest has started or make up new rules to sute some people that dont like the old rules.
There is no way of knowing when a photo was taken. A person could clam it was taken within the time frame given.
So I thing to be fare to all with the least amount of cheating all photo should count.
The person that gets to pick the contest theme should pick something that people would not have a picture of.

My argument with (ebird) thinking is people will not post great pictures on e-zone so thay can use them later on a contest.

my 2 cents

Roger (BAR-STOOL)
BAR-STOOL is offline Find More Posts by BAR-STOOL
Last edited by BAR-STOOL; Sep 23, 2003 at 02:35 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 04:37 PM
Albion, NY
Joined Mar 2003
217 Posts
Ooh, I started a controversy...

I voted for the new pics mostly becuase as a newcomer to AP I think that the evened playing field really helps encourage everyone to post their pics and get in on the action. The last contest was the first that I had my camera for, with the new pic requirement I felt very comfortable putting mine up there with the others (and came in 4th to my surprise). This time around, though, unless I have a very very very large amount of luck in the next two weeks I'll be sitting it out since I have yet to get a pic that even deserves to be in the same thread as some of those which were posted earlier. Thats just the perspective of a newcomer though, so take it for what its worth.

I think alot of what we decide should have to do with what the entire purpose of these contests are. If it was intended to solely find the highest quality pics that we can muster up, then by far lets take new and old pics alike. I think, however, that the contest was intended as a fun competetion to showcase our talents and encourage everyone, new and old, to get out there and keep clicking. Another way that requiring new pics will encourage everyone to participate is the fact that it will really help share the wealth in terms of contest winners. If we allow only the best pics, most of the contests will be dominated by the few people here who are head and shoulders above the rest of us. If we let only new pics, this will change.

I know a few people are concerned that with the short time frame they may not even get a chance to get out and compete given their schedules, weather, etc. I think that this is actually something that can be a positive thing for the whole though. I realize it'll suck to be missing a contest due to a trip, weather, etc, but on the flip side, its comforting knowing that perhaps this time around kinnic (only picking on you since you just won ) may have had crappy weather and won't have a good pic. Although that does suck for him, it helps give the rest a shot at winning, and helps share the wealth.

Now...what to do with those stellar pics that have been already posted? I think that ideally every X number of contests we could have an open contest, with more general guidelines and allowing old pics as well. This will give the experts a place to showplace their best and get the recognition they deserve.

What do ya think?

Tim
Timeetyo is offline Find More Posts by Timeetyo
Old Sep 23, 2003, 04:41 PM
Closet Extrovert
In transit Los Angeles ->AZ, -> KY
Joined Aug 2003
1,653 Posts
How about just previously un-posted. That way people can use shots that they've had for a while as long as they haven't been posted before. Of course most people post the pics right away, so what 's the point?
Jim Poor is offline Find More Posts by Jim Poor
Old Sep 23, 2003, 05:22 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Interesting problem this... I probably shouldn't have put in any comment originally...

I sort of agree with everyone on this

As a new comer I don't really want to interfere with something that works, and has been working for a large group of people for a long time.

I do agree with BAR-STOOL that we shouldn't change the rules on this competition once it has started. I think that this competition should run to completion 'as-is'.

I think in the end that a hard rule on this may be counter productive and annoy more of us than it makes happy. In this respect BAR-STOOL is correct in that the framing of the contest theme will have some effect on new/old shots. Some themes may suit existing shots others will require new shots. If there is a good mix of themes this problem will sort itself out.

I think on balance removing these AAA+ pictures from the competiition, just because they are not taken in a 2 week period, will be a serious loss to the competition.

Tim
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Old Sep 23, 2003, 05:41 PM
Veni, Vidi, Fragoris
Shreveport, LA
Joined Mar 2003
384 Posts
While I think this one should go on as it is, I like the idea of "new pics only"... even though I got some really good cloud and in-cloud shots on Saturday, just before the contest started.

While conditions (or parts, or schedules) don't always comply, it's just a "for fun" thing and not the end of the world. I like the idea of taking up a challenge versus pulling a shot from a backlog. Even if it is the most amazing picture ever.

It's all about sharing, though, so I don't think people should not post old pictures. Can I have it both ways?
djslack is offline Find More Posts by djslack
Old Sep 23, 2003, 06:23 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
i say.. pics taken after the start of the contest.. 2 weeks even gives me time to take pics if i only fly on a sunday.. i like that idea and i think it should be a given. just keeps things interesting and fresh.. i have seen some of these images before that are in the other contest thread now.. nothing to say that they are not beautiful pics.. but i vote new pics only.. just keeps everyone flying

also the previous winner cant enter the contest where he chooses the theme.. sorta like he's "Head of Household" (big brother fans know what i am talkin about) where he chooses the theme but cant enter himself for the next "Head of Household"

my 2 cents..

also about people posting 'old' pictures and stating they are 'new'.. I hope (really hope) we are an honest bunch of guys.. this isnt some 1 million dollar lotto or anything.. but a fun contest to keep everyone interested in this great hobby of ours..

so guys.. keep it honest and this will be fun.. lets not turn it into a debate.. then nobody wins
gmaster is offline Find More Posts by gmaster
Last edited by gmaster; Sep 23, 2003 at 06:42 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 06:41 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gmaster
this isnt some 1 million dollar lotto or anything..
oh man - last contest I enter!! j/k
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Sep 23, 2003, 06:43 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nose_first
oh man - last contest I enter!! j/k
haha
Old Sep 23, 2003, 09:22 PM
Newark, DE
Joined Nov 2001
2 Posts
I follow several photo competitions, such as the Canon camera competition on pbase.
http://www.pbase.com/ctfchallenge/
(By the way, the current topic is "Flight")

In these contests there are "eligible" and "exibition" catagories. Eligible pictures must be taken after the subject is posted, exibition is for archive and other pictures. (Eligible pictures also must be taken with a Canon camera.)
scottm32 is offline Find More Posts by scottm32
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:00 PM
Hooked Heli Human
Western NC
Joined Dec 2002
1,556 Posts
Re: Contest rules

Quote:
Originally posted by soarstar-mike
Maybe there should also be a rule about posting your own pics.
I saw this photo on a National News program & it was sent to me by 3 people I know. The only dfferenc between the one posted in the contest is the photo has been flipped & the shadow of the plane was added.
Mike
hey.. you should check the past contests.. Kinnic^2 always posts funny pictures where he has edited them.. its just fun.. no way did anyone believe it was real but you are right.. hopefully nobody posts images that they themselves didnt actually take with their aerial platform
Last edited by gmaster; Sep 23, 2003 at 10:11 PM.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:17 PM
29 rods from you in western WI
Joined Jan 2003
4,885 Posts
Mike, that was my running-gag attempt at humor. I've put in an obviously photoshopped (or outright hand drawn) picture as a joke now in the last several contests. Figured it would be obvious, though maybe I should have made it more so. Muy baad.

The past few contests have contained suggestions to follow a "gentleman's agreement" to submit only new shots. I'm relatively ambivalent on this as a hard and fast rule. I can see an advantage in requiring new shots to provide a competitive spirit, but how can it be enforced?

Another thing that wasn't fully addressed by this poll was the distinction between truly new shots or simply shots not previously posted or otherwise made available through a linked gallery. My self-portrait entry came from a sortie that was either a few days before or after the subject announcement. I shared a few shots from this flight, but not the one in question. Tug, I believe, just got into the air for the first time during the contest, posted lots of shots on another thread, then reposted his self-portrait. If this was the only one he could get, I wouldn't want to see it excluded.

I'm not for getting too heavy with the rules. I would suggest that the standard notice at the opening of the contest thread include encouragment for new or previously unposted shots over reruns, yet not forbid such shots. Viewers who favor only new shots can apply this bias in their voting, and those who favor "anything goes" entries can similarly ignore this factor. Even the best shot in the world will get old after it's been seen enough.

This contest works, IMHO, because it's relatively informal. The faster pacing (submission period used to be a whole month) takes a bit of pressure off, knowing that if I'm not happy with what I have this time, that a fresh chance to compete is just around the corner.

Final word: let all entries stand, including the submissions so far in the current contest. If a suspected fake is entered, let it stand to draw ridicule, then fall on its face during the vote.

Oww, finger cramps from typing.

Karl
Karl Bē is offline Find More Posts by Karl Bē
Last edited by Kinnicē; Sep 23, 2003 at 10:21 PM.
Old Sep 24, 2003, 10:37 AM
Near Austin
Joined Dec 2001
5,365 Posts
I believe we should just concede the contest to BarStool and his awesome fog picture and then let HIM name the next contest theme and rules.....

Kinda like playing Friday night poker and the dealer gets to call the game

CTF
CenTexFlyer is online now Find More Posts by CenTexFlyer