SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:04 PM
United States, CA, Mill Valley
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
Discussion
Home made quad from the remains of a Gaui 330x

Hey all,

I am new to quads and would like to build one using the gyro and motors from my broken 330x.

I dont want a high performance aerobatic machine, just a steady hover platform for the gopro.

I was hoping to make it slightly bigger than the 330x with longer arms but I am unsure how this will effect its flying qualities.

Can the original GU-344 gyro from the 330x work on something bigger or is it designed/tuned for a specific distance between each motor?

Dumb question I know.
drumbum is online now Find More Posts by drumbum
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:18 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
556 Posts
Sure does. I'm doing exactly as you are saying at the moment, on a home made frame, 450 size, using all Gaui 330 gear, left over after the original frame broke...
Soupbones is offline Find More Posts by Soupbones
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:16 AM
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
sweeeeeeet maaaaate.

Whats a 450 size. How big and how are you making the frame?

So many questions,

DB (an ozmate living in the US)
Old Nov 03, 2011, 08:06 PM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by drumbum View Post
Hey all,

I am new to quads and would like to build one using the gyro and motors from my broken 330x.

I dont want a high performance aerobatic machine, just a steady hover platform for the gopro.

I was hoping to make it slightly bigger than the 330x with longer arms but I am unsure how this will effect its flying qualities.

Can the original GU-344 gyro from the 330x work on something bigger or is it designed/tuned for a specific distance between each motor?

Dumb question I know.
I encourage you to consider this one --> LINK

It takes the 300X & 300X-S components without modifications (you won't have to lengthen the ESC or motor wiring), provides much larger frame, is much higher quality, allows you to use 10 inch props and performs very well (more stable and durable).

I really like mine a lot.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:41 PM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,928 Posts
Gaui 344 works fine on a 450 sized frame, no problems there. Flying one right now actually (frame mentioned above) on a Gaui 344.
vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:20 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
the gaui 500 looks nice and it is foldable.... it isnt that expensive either.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:36 PM
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
buzzman and vic20 owner

Thanks for the info. The vc450 looks interesting. I may consider but I was hoping to build my own frame. I like the idea of customizing it for gopro/possible FPV. But it sounds like 450mm is the way to go.

I have not decided what to make it from yet. I purchased some square alloy tubes today but they were too weak and didnt pass my simple strength test.

Maybe some CF tubes?

Thanks again.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:54 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
check out rusty's frames:
http://www.shop.aglhobbiesllc.com/Ru...AP1-Frame-Kit/

when you make your own it is difficult to the the frame to be ridged and light....

rusty's frames are very nice. I own 2 of them
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:18 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
556 Posts
450 size frame means 450mm, or 45cm between the motor shaft on one arm to the opposite one. So if you see 450, 500, 550, 330 and so on, this is usually what it means. Its the diameter from one motor centre to the other, and gives you a idea of the frame size. In general, the bigger the frame, the more stable it is. So a quad that is small is better at sport flying and aerobatics then a larger one..
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:49 AM
Enjoy Life B4U Die!
United States, GA, Powder Springs
Joined Dec 1999
4,241 Posts
Quote:
. . . but I was hoping to build my own frame. I like the idea of customizing it for gopro/possible FPV. But it sounds like 450mm is the way to go.
I will have to do this someday. I already imagine myself wandering the aisles at Home Depot, arms full of plastic, metal and wood pieces so I can return to the cave and build.
Buzz_Man is offline Find More Posts by Buzz_Man
Old Nov 04, 2011, 07:14 AM
LOAD "FLIP-FPV",8,1
Joined Sep 2006
3,928 Posts
Quote:
buzzman and vic20 owner

Thanks for the info. The vc450 looks interesting. I may consider but I was hoping to build my own frame. I like the idea of customizing it for gopro/possible FPV. But it sounds like 450mm is the way to go.

I have not decided what to make it from yet. I purchased some square alloy tubes today but they were too weak and didnt pass my simple strength test.

Maybe some CF tubes?

Thanks again.
Towel bars from home depot and some center plates cut from G10, circuit board, or even 1/8" aircraft ply from the hobby store. Just go into home depot and ask where the "plain towel bars" are... they have a few different lengths and you can cut them very easily with a hacksaw or dremel.. and they are extremely light.

Total cost $10.

Example (not mine):

vic20owner is offline Find More Posts by vic20owner
Last edited by vic20owner; Nov 04, 2011 at 07:22 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 01:50 PM
Australia
Joined May 2011
556 Posts
Yes 10mm square aluminium tubing is the way to go. The frame I have is practically indestructible. Its survived numerous crashed now, including one from a height of at least 150 feet. Just make sure you have plenty of spare props when learning!
Old Nov 04, 2011, 08:17 PM
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
Yep - 10mm square al and CF just ordered. I will experiment with both.

Looks like 450mm is the way to go.

And lights too.
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:18 AM
Australia
Joined May 2011
556 Posts
Quote:
Yep - 10mm square al and CF just ordered. I will experiment with both.

Looks like 450mm is the way to go.

And lights too.
Sounds like a goer. Be sure to put some pics up here. I have lights coming soon as well.
I have personally made and tested 5 frames, and currently have a frame someone else made from 10mm square aluminium tubing, and some nice PCB centre pieces. Makes for one tough little quad indeed. Mine has hit the ground numerous times, hit the odd tree, and as I mentioned, survived a 150 foot drop. That drop just wrecked the props and the brand new dome cover I added the same day. ten minutes of repairs and it was up and flying again.
These days I luckily seem to come home now with the same props i left with and don't crash ( as much).
As a newbie with only about 6 months quad flying experience, all I can say if practice heaps, at least once a week. Be patient, and expect to crash, so have deep pockets for spares, specially props....
waiting for my Ycopter quad V3 frame to arrive. should make taking it travelling a bit easier.
Old Nov 11, 2011, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2010
657 Posts
This is where I show my ignorance.

What exactly is the GU344? Is it just 3 gyros in a box or is it a processor and if so what is it processing. Can it be replaced by 3 separate gyros mounted correctly for roll/pitch/yaw?