HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:02 PM
I'm all about that bass
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Feb 2004
15,308 Posts
Rave
You too can build a DLG for about $75

I wanted to start a thread showing everyday average people that they too can build thier own DLGs. Here are 2 pictures of mine. I am in no way a good builder. But both of these planes fly and I have had many enjoyable sessions flying them.

Ryan
rdwoebke is online now Find More Posts by rdwoebke
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:17 PM
Albuquerque, NM
Joined Nov 2010
90 Posts
I'm interested, go for posts.
nkcook is offline Find More Posts by nkcook
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:22 PM
Hamburg, Germany
Joined Nov 2006
208 Posts
Me too!
i already bought stuff to replicate something like this:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?u=20426
but never got the motivation to start building...
somt1033 is offline Find More Posts by somt1033
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:25 PM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,667 Posts
I agree. I believe there are plenty of people that would like to see how you build those planes. I'll bet the discussion will even lead to improvements that will cost little to nothing to implement.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:47 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
Great idea Ryan. For guys wanted to try to build their own I have many ways of saving.
75 bucks is possible for the materials but perhaps thats a little optimistic if the builder needs to build a mold for a pod. I suggest buying a pod and perhaps a boom and doing the rest.
I have my own formula for rolling booms from 12k or 6k tow which is very cheap. Booms can be made for a few bucks. DLG is losing builders in the true sense of the word.
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 02, 2011, 01:51 PM
Jim C
Joined Sep 2009
1,473 Posts
Wow. I am looking forward to this!

Bags, Mylars, cutting utensils, vaccuum system, materials and supplies to build a plane for $75 is going to be great! I was going to go this route a year ago, but after looking into CNC foam cutters and bagging equipment I just purchased planes.

I would much rather build
ShadowFalken is offline Find More Posts by ShadowFalken
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:04 PM
Hey was that a Thermal ????
Joined Nov 2009
2,448 Posts
Jim, you are too funny.

Ryan, I completely understand why you want to do this and I will help where I can. My first vacuum pump was more than $75 though. I can see material costs being that low and if a person can barrow a vacuum system it can be done.

Kidding aside Jim has a valid point about things that are needed that never go to the flying field. Stuff like Mylar's, molds, wax, PVA, rollers, and other little things really start to add up very quickly.

luaP
The_Builder is offline Find More Posts by The_Builder
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:04 PM
Intergalctic Coffee Enthusiast
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2011
1,419 Posts
This is cooler than buying an expensive one prebuilt imo.

I want to know moar!!!!
MaddSkillz is offline Find More Posts by MaddSkillz
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:08 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,774 Posts
Maybe somebody will step up and make a mold and sell pods for a few bucks a piece to the group. Then he could recoup his costs for the mold.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:15 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,308 Posts
My purpose for this thread is to show everyone how they can build their own fun flying DLGs for not a lot of money. This wonít be a build thread necessarily because I donít expect anyone to follow the exact path I have went down. There are thousands of different ways to do things and everyone will probably have their own path. That is OK. Feel free to ask any questions you want.

I guess Iíll start a bit by explaining how I built the 2 DLGs I have. Hopefully other folks will chime in as well. Iím an everyman builder so nothing I do is overly high tech or overly exact. My 2 DLGs are based on a set of free plans called the SuperGee2. You can see the plans here: http://www.charlesriverrc.org/articl.../supergee2.pdf Donít get overly worried about the complexity of the design. There are a lot of shortcuts you can do and still end up with a perfectly flyable plane.

Building a plane like I have above (BTW, I call these G Thing) breaks down into some basic functional areas:

1) Cutting Cores
2) Prepping for Bagging
3) Bagging
4) Making Boom
5) Making Pod
6) Making Tail Feathers
7) Assembling the plane
8) Installing Radio Gear

Ryan
Old Nov 02, 2011, 02:26 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Builder View Post
Kidding aside Jim has a valid point about things that are needed that never go to the flying field. Stuff like Mylar's, molds, wax, PVA, rollers, and other little things really start to add up very quickly.
I am going to make the assumption that people have some basic tools. If they donít then we will discuss inexpensive ways to make tools. I hope people do not get overly wrapped up in the cost of tools that can be re-used or borrowed. I recently bought a Ghast pump on ebay as an upgrade to the simple I had been using to bag (the simple pump was used for both the wings in the planes pictured). This thread will assume that people are either willing to scrounge for super cheap tools or would prefer spending some more money to buy nice tools. Either method is fine and will get my support.

This conversation will also discuss some non DIY methods for acquiring some of the parts. As an example I donít roll my own booms I buy them.

Ryan
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:21 PM
I'm all about that bass
Joined Feb 2004
15,308 Posts
With regards to my list in post 10 above, does anyone have any preference on which steps I talk about first? If no preference I'll first talk about step 1.

Ryan
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:39 PM
Will fly for food
Bellevue WA,
Joined Dec 2003
7,094 Posts
Just settling in for the show
davidjensen is offline Find More Posts by davidjensen
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:53 PM
Now fortified with carbon
Canada, ON, Cambridge
Joined Apr 2010
2,781 Posts
Perhaps the start would be to itemize what can be used to cut foam

-a old fashion doorbell transformer can be used to make a wire cutter power supply
-a car battery charger is also suitable
- I have even read about using a ESC and a couple ni-cds from a old e-glider set up

There are kits put together for both transformers and dimmer switches http://www.aircraftspruce.ca/catalog...hotwirekit.php
DLGjunkyard is offline Find More Posts by DLGjunkyard
Old Nov 02, 2011, 05:13 PM
Newport Beach, California, United States
Joined Apr 2004
61 Posts
Great idea for a thread! I am just starting to look into what it would take to build a composite glider and am very interested in following this discussion. In addition to information like this I would like to see is someone offer a 'builders kit'. This would be a box of all the raw materials required along with a set of plans for a good basic DLG design aimed at the home builder priced under $100. Offer some options like pod and boom, pre-cut cores etc. for those who don't want to do everything. Kind of like the old days of balsa kits where nothing was pre-cut. I think this would take away some of the initial hurdles faced by the first time builder namely choosing an appropriate design, sourcing the correct materials, and price. Combined with the great resources here at rcgroups and a few youtube vids I think it would get more people to give composite construction a go.
spiggs is offline Find More Posts by spiggs