SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:20 AM
Joined Oct 2011
4 Posts
Discussion
Where would be a good place to start?

I was looking into getting my own mini yacht, but I also want to have a plane. I know I can't exactly afford both, so where would I go to get a more inexpensive SPAD?
cwaldo399 is offline Find More Posts by cwaldo399
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:25 PM
Joined Aug 2006
70 Posts
Waldo,

Go to spadtothebone.com for all information on getting started in SPADS. You'll find everything you need there. Go to spadworld.net for help and advice from top spaders from all over the world. See also rcuniverse.com for a good forum on spad aircraft.

Good luck. You'll get to love it!

Jim Gallagher
jimgee1 is offline Find More Posts by jimgee1
Old Nov 03, 2011, 06:36 AM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,174 Posts
You can scavenge the coroplast from signs posted around your neighborhood. You can get them right after a election voting day too.
Other parts to scavenge depends on what you need.
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:44 AM
glider pilot in training
United States, AR, Searcy
Joined Aug 2006
647 Posts
yup, coroplast election signs, bicycle spokes for pushrods, scrap wood for engine mounts an enough scrap gutterpipe to make control horns an such can come from any decent siding/gutter installer for free.

Righ now i am building a GNAT for a friend of mine, the only money spent on it is for a box of screws, $3. well worth the investment to us. We will easily get that much in return for the entertainment of slow streamer combat.
webdragon is offline Find More Posts by webdragon
Old Nov 07, 2011, 01:30 AM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
893 Posts
You can too have your Plane and a yacht!

Here is a Spad mini Yacht!
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Old Nov 07, 2011, 04:21 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,174 Posts
If you come up with a waterproof joint you can make a full size folding boat using coroplast. Of course one doesn't have to make it folding either.
http://www.porta-bote.com/?gclid=CNy...FY3JKgodzUmyDg
earlwb is online now Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Nov 07, 2011, 05:18 PM
Rusty
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Feb 2006
893 Posts
Corro' Model Yachts

There are many model yachts that can be made from Corro'.
Any of the smaller yachts like the Footy with hard chines can be made from plastic sheets.
Roger Stollery in England has successfully made Corro Bugs with tape seams for years.
I started making a Harpy from 3mm corro sheets, but soon realized that the plastic 1.5 litre pop bottles I was throwing away were an excellent source for a boat hull and a much quicker way to make a good sailing model yacht in the SPAD spirit.
Rusty Nail is online now Find More Posts by Rusty Nail
Last edited by Rusty Nail; Nov 07, 2011 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Add plans