HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:34 AM
North Narrabeen, NSW, Australia
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Discussion
Rc Shark { Great White Shark that swims!! }

Hi guys , I put this in the Foamie scratchbuilt section , but someone said to may be better of here in the the subs section , may get more help and feed back from you gents with suggestions and ideas. I think or hope in a couple of weeks and I should be putting it in the water for trails , it's 6' long EEP body pvc ribs, latex rubber skin and fibre glass head , waterproofing the sevro at the moment with latex rubber and silicon , doubled up the servos to make them a bit stronger
I have to add about 10 kg to get it neutral buoyant ,
Let me know what you think and any suggestions would be welcome
Cheer
I crash ALOT ! is offline Find More Posts by I crash ALOT !
Last edited by I crash ALOT !; Mar 07, 2012 at 04:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:44 AM
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
Is the tail going to move back and forth like the real thing or are you adding a prop to push it through the water?
warbirdguyn951 is offline Find More Posts by warbirdguyn951
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 02, 2011, 03:34 AM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
No prop , the tail will swing back and forth , you can see the two linked servos the pull the cable hooked up to the tail
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:02 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
cool, have you thought about running a static dive WTC or you going dynamic
Old Nov 03, 2011, 03:02 AM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Hey topgun , sorry mate not sure what " WTC or dynamic " , I have just finished putting in the waterproof servos for tail and front part , working on the pectural fins and servo , after that finish off everything in latex for the waterproofing and throw her in the lake . I'll still have a bit of work with all the weight I have to add balancing it all out , trail and error , There is nothing out there about building rc sharks . So thats why I'm the sub section for some ideas for you boys
Cheers
Rick
Old Nov 03, 2011, 05:22 AM
Its all fun
Australia, NSW, Forster
Joined Oct 2004
7,006 Posts
You could follow the concept from the helium "Air shark" by having an internal weight which moves back and forth on a track, changing the CG to send it diving or surfacing
Tonystott is offline Find More Posts by Tonystott
Old Nov 03, 2011, 09:19 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2003
554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by I crash ALOT ! View Post
Hey topgun , sorry mate not sure what " WTC or dynamic " , I have just finished putting in the waterproof servos for tail and front part , working on the pectural fins and servo , after that finish off everything in latex for the waterproofing and throw her in the lake . I'll still have a bit of work with all the weight I have to add balancing it all out , trail and error , There is nothing out there about building rc sharks . So thats why I'm the sub section for some ideas for you boys
Cheers
Rick
WTC is also called a sub driver they contain all the electronics etc, static dive is where the sub can take on water via the transmitter to make the sub submerge. Dynamic sub uses motion to push the sub under the water. I would image for your build a WTC would not work since you all ready water proof the radio gear.
I'm thinking the shark just runs under the surface with the fin above water line?if you want to submerge below the water you can run it as a dynamic and use the front pectoral fins to move up & down and make the shark submerge easy modification.
Also think about use a Worm drive system this would allow you to get neutral buoyancy at different depths, parts are cheap. A clear PVC tube with a inline motor with a all thread rod and bulk head with a O-ring connected to the rod, micro switch to control limit throw and a servo to operate the double throw switch to move the rod in both directions. Use a lipo for power. look up worm dive system under this forum. or IV bags and a pump system. You can Check this site out http://www.caswellplating.com/models/ lots of good info. you can also look here www.arkmodel.com

hope this helps
Doug
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:34 AM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Thanks Doug , I'll look that up , Yeah the shark will travel just below the waterline , Im imbedding the receiver in the dorsal fin , the pectural fins will more like an elevator on the planes only to bob it up and down , I want and need people to see the fin m it need sto stand out like dogs nuts ! No stealth like a sub . Thanks for your suggestion Tony but with all the ribs and t and tail moving I don't think I could fit it in , Thanks again boys for you ideas .
Cheers
Rick
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:46 AM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Looked up that site , great stuff , WTC "water tight cylinder" found that part out . That will be the plan B if the stuff doesn't work . I have thought about that , My idea to stop water coming back in is run the 2 pvc coated cables that work the tail though two tubes {tube each} with flat rubber on each end so the cable is a very snug fit but still pulls through, and have the tubes packed with and o'ring greaseor vasoline , nice and simple, easy to do , {I'm a plumber so everything will be in plumbing gear } what do you think ?
Cheer
Rick
Old Jan 20, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Here is the latest pic of the shark , we were testing it in the pool , found out it needs a few mods
Cheers
Old Jan 21, 2012, 06:33 AM
Joined Sep 2004
375 Posts
FYI you may be interested as a simple means of directional control.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Jetnautilus/
Carcharadon is online now Find More Posts by Carcharadon
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:02 AM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Had a test swim with my new 91kg servo and its swims along about the speed of a slow cruising shark , , looks pretty cool ing the water I should have a video soon ! here is a pick with the skin going on the tail
Cheers
Old Mar 04, 2012, 02:55 AM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
This one is top veiw of Bruce jr with skin on the tail awaiting next test swim I hope the skin does not weaken the torque of the servo for the tail ! fingers crossed
Old Mar 10, 2012, 04:24 PM
Joined Feb 2008
83 Posts
Pic update !! water test next weekend and then I should have some video
Old Mar 10, 2012, 05:05 PM
Stockholm
Joined Jan 2010
68 Posts
Hi there,i love your project.
I have been thinking about making something similar myself.
Would be nice to get some moore details about the chark.
Hov do you steer and dive ?
Hov big is it?
What did you use to cover ?
Maybe you wrote earlier but i missed it.
Please post video and detal-pics.
Im sitting in a could and rainy Sweden and dreams about summer projects.
Good luck with your build.
// Mats W
Mats W is offline Find More Posts by Mats W