Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:40 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
857 Posts
Build Log
Guillow's Thomas Morse Scout S4C (Laser-cut) Conversion

Hi,

Visiting a local model builder's exhibition last week i couldn't resist buying a Guillow's Tommy, the laser-cut version.
So i quickly put together the frame over the weekend. I found the precision of the parts very good and building was a joy. The conversion will feature rudder, elevator and ailerons. I'm not yet decided if i'll go for the scale aileron torque rod mechanism.

Yours, gupi
gupi is offline Find More Posts by gupi
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:01 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
857 Posts
Now comes the difficult part: adding the RC parts. Still reading through conversion threads to get ideas. Not sure where i'll add access hatch for the battery. It'll go just behind the firewall.
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:31 AM
Registerd Beaver
Australia, WA, Warwick
Joined Jul 2003
3,580 Posts
Subscribed!
Smokin' Beaver is offline Find More Posts by Smokin' Beaver
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:40 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2009
56 Posts
Hi gupi,

just subscribed. Looks quite fast. I think your Tommy will be airborne much before mine. I allready was thinking about the how to remove the battery. Directly behind the firewall is a must because of the center of gravity. I thought to make one of the side parts of the cowling removable. Perhaps snapped in with a megnet to make it fast removebel.
I think also the servos and the receiver should be as near to ther firewall as possible in order to avoid any additional trimming lead.

I'am exited how you will install the RC.

Yours, Michael
pilatusb4 is offline Find More Posts by pilatusb4
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:48 AM
United States, LA, Lafayette
Joined Aug 2011
9 Posts
Gupi,
Excellent work so far. I really like the detail you have provided. On my next build I believe I will try your idea of tacking the parts to film in place of using pins. I have attempted seperating my rudder and elevator on my Cessna L-19, can you provide additional pictures of the Aileron, Rudder, Elevator assemblies? How well will the rudder and elevator marry together? I had trouble with where the seperations in the drawing causing the elevator to be hindered by the detached rudder. Wondering if this kit will experience that similar trouble.
cbrXXrider is offline Find More Posts by cbrXXrider
Old Nov 02, 2011, 11:37 PM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
Now comes the difficult part: adding the RC parts. Still reading through conversion threads to get ideas. Not sure where i'll add access hatch for the battery. It'll go just behind the firewall.
Hi Gupi, looks like you've got a good start on it.

You probably already saw my old build thread on this kit, but here are some better photos of my servo placements to give some ideas. Be sure to open these up to full resolution for the best detail.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Nov 03, 2011, 02:01 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
857 Posts
Hi guys,
Thanks for the kind words.

@Michael: i was thinking about making battery hatch on the side, too. Would even be a scale location for a hatch.

@cbrXXrider: i'll provide more details of the control surfaces as soon as i continue the build.

@Gerald: Thanks a lot for the detail shots. Sure i read through your thread, congrats on the build, looks great! I'd like to move the servos even closer to the firewall to have them in front of the firewall, but it'll get really crammed.
I noticed you had the battery hatch on the bottom between the UC legs. Did that work out fine or do you recommend a different location?

Yours, gupi
Old Nov 03, 2011, 11:55 AM
ὅπερ ἔδει δεῖξαι
Joined May 2000
3,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gupi View Post
I noticed you had the battery hatch on the bottom between the UC legs. Did that work out fine or do you recommend a different location?
When I first completed it I was using a 7-cell NiMH pack which was heavier and the location behind the firewall gave a good CG. Later when I changed the power system and went to a lighter Lipo pack I had to move the pack to the front side of the firewall. Also adding the pilot figure had shifted the CG back a little.

You do want to get most of the weight as forward as is practical. As I recall, even the full-scale plane tended to be tail heavy.
Gerald is offline Find More Posts by Gerald
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:17 AM
Balsa Lover
Vienna, Austria
Joined Jul 2010
857 Posts
Mounted all servos and decided on the RX position. It'll sit directly on the lower wing which is almost the CG. All servos are in front of the CG. I hope it pays off.
Old Nov 15, 2011, 06:51 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Hi gupi. The laser cut kits look so crisp. We bought the laser cut Wright Flyer a couple years back and they go together so well. I wish they'd hurry up and do all their kits that way. Anyhow, looking great so far and watching with interest.

I was just wondering about those control horns. So these were cut by yourself correct? Nothing in the kit? What did you use, is it just balsa? One last question, what will you be using for the control lines/rods?

I've had the similarly scaled PT-17 Stearman still in a box waiting to be built. Everytime I think about starting it I revisit the older completed bipe threads plus these newer ones, grabbing ideas, then I get scared and put the box back on the shelf. I was thinking of just using control rods but the pull/pull seems the way to go with many others doing the same, plus looking authentic. Just not sure what to use.
bellyup is offline Find More Posts by bellyup