HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2011, 12:54 AM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Discussion
EB Excalibur Sky Crawler 3Ch at Costco

Does anyone have experience with this one? It showed up at my local Costco in Orange County this past weekend.

$35 bucks.
Azn_Ace is offline Find More Posts by Azn_Ace
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:53 AM
Fledgling Aviator
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
This one here?

http://www.amazon.com/Sky-Crawler-Ra.../dp/B0013L426S

These guys didn't like it:

Quote:
By J. D. SALEM (Tampa, FL) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Durability:1.0 out of 5 stars Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars Educational:1.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Sky Crawler Radio - controlled Helicopter (Toy)
The Good: This toy was fun for a few minutes (but read the bad before you buy one)

The Bad: This product is junk, don't buy it unless you only want to play with it for 10 minutes. It flew for 10 minutes and broke the fuselage on its first flight crash and the battery harness on its second flight crash. Like other reviews, it is uncontrollable, it goes up in a spin and remains in a spin, so you can't control direction. You can control height, but even height is very difficult to control. All problems were mentioned, 4 direction control rather than 6, unresponsive or clumsy controls, constant uncontrollable unstoppable spinning, cheap plastic that breaks on first crash landing, 10 minute lifespan of toy, no replacement parts to be found, so it is junk.
Quote:
I didn't get mine at amazon, but this copter is the same no matter where you buy it. It's not a 3 channel, only a 2 channel (main rotor and tail).

People who say it just spins never bothered to calibrate it, people who say that it crashes and breaks... well... they are right.

I used 2 charges to adjust the fan calibration so that it would not just swirl around in circles at full speed. As the power drops you need to add some stick control to compensate for the rotor torque. When you do try to steer, a little power goes a really long way.

I flew mine 2 flights before the fuselage was all cracked up from a hard landing in a dry patch of grass (the radio sometimes doesn't respond causing the motor to stay at its last setting, which means when you want a last thrust to soften the landing, you often don't get it)

The battery takes forever to charge and lasts 5 minutes or so.

All that being said, the chopper has really great thrust and can lift a the whole 2 ballpoint pens, 2 glue sticks and 2 metal computer case punch outs that I used to repair the chassis.

All and all, I think you'd have alot more fun with an ed hardy or an air-hogs for the same price or less.
Zerodark is offline Find More Posts by Zerodark
Old Nov 01, 2011, 11:35 PM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Here's the photo

Nope. This is a new one. Picked it up for my son - pretty cool.
It's a relatively large coax, uses 27MHz radio (as opposed to IR), and because it's heavier can fly outdoors.

They call it 3.5CH because there's a button to turn on blinking LED's across the boom as well as the missile. Flies very well - very stable and tracks precisely. I tried it outdoors. Of course, because of it's size, it is more prone to break if you crash it.

I just got myself a Blade 450 3D heli - I figure I'd get my son a larger companion to his little Syma (also from Costco)

PS. I think it's a great deal and won't last long at Costco. Helis this size cost at least twice as much at Frys.
Last edited by Azn_Ace; Nov 01, 2011 at 11:43 PM.
Old Nov 02, 2011, 12:52 AM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Here it is

It's in their online store now:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...=1&topnav=&s=1

However, it was less in the brick&mortar store.

The only drawback is the charge time - 2 hours with supplied charger!
Does anyone know the type of battery it takes? Perhaps can get spare ones for additional flights between charges...
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:00 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Jan 2003
61 Posts
I picked one up as well. Very stable and surprisingly tough. I stripped every unneeded item to improve its performance and that does help a lot. Hard to beat for $35.
sevenbravo is offline Find More Posts by sevenbravo
Old Nov 02, 2011, 04:00 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Is this big heli a re-badge of another brand/model? I somehow remember seeing that LED missile somewhere before, except I just couldn't place it right now.

Ace, is the battery fixed inside of the canopy? Could you tell us a bit more about the specs of the battery, like voltage, C-rating, mAh, dimension, weight, connector type... whatever you could tell us. Is there an ON/OFF switch, or do you connect the battery to fly, disconnect to store/charge? Seriously, 2 hours of charge time for a few minutes of flight time? What is the current rating (mA) on the supplied AC charger?

Zerodark, how about editing your post since all the info there really relates to a completely different model. I pointed my friend to this thread, and he said he'll pass. I asked why, and he said because of a couple of bad reviews. Now, I see what he was talking about. He read the bad reviews of the completely different model. So, please get rid of those quotes for others that come and read about this Costco deal? Thanks.
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Old Nov 02, 2011, 06:48 PM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
EX RC Sky Crawler

Saw the EX RC Sky Crawler at my local Costco, it's a very typical mid size 3 CH, RF controlled type toy heli with 130 size motors and most likely 1000mah 3.7V lipo,very similar to the JM806:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=jm806

Here's a video of the Sky Crawler:

exRC Sky Crawler Helicopter (1 min 10 sec)
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Last edited by Doubletap; Nov 02, 2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old Nov 03, 2011, 01:14 AM
Fledgling Aviator
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
That's a nice heli. I might have to break down and go to Costco. Let's see, what does the wife need from Costco?
Zerodark is offline Find More Posts by Zerodark
Old Nov 05, 2011, 12:11 AM
Joined Nov 2011
1 Posts
Sky crawler

On second day my upper gear is stripped. What's up with that?
It seems like a very nice heli.
I only used it until the battery died which is really a whole 15 to 20 minutes.
Any comment is welcome.

Thanks.
demirde is offline Find More Posts by demirde
Old Nov 05, 2011, 01:09 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
Is this big heli a re-badge of another brand/model? I somehow remember seeing that LED missile somewhere before, except I just couldn't place it right now. . . .
This might be the one - mid-size MJX-T05 3ch next to the Sky Crawler. Not the same heli, though.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Nov 05, 2011, 02:02 AM
Different fly 4 different guy
Joined Jan 2011
1,897 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by demirde View Post
On second day my upper gear is stripped. What's up with that?
It seems like a very nice heli.
I only used it until the battery died which is really a whole 15 to 20 minutes.
Any comment is welcome.

Thanks.
Am I correct in assuming you are fairly new to rc helis? You have come to the right place.

I believe the upper gear is attached to the outer shaft/lower blades. Requires a bit of disassembly but a good, easy learning experience. I have only once seen the upper gear damaged on any coax heli, and that was caused by a hard hit with the power kept on full. Is that what happened? It's ok - you can tell us.

Things your seller may not tell you about your rc heli:
1. Seller's descriptions are frequently exaggerated.
2. Most coax's need a calm day to fly outdoors.
3. Li-po battery management is critical. Read up on it or ask questions.
4. Learn to cut the throttle when crashing.
5. Certain frequencies (& infrared) may experience interference in certain areas which can cause momentary loss of control.
6. Some helis, particularly department store models, can be hard to find parts for. You may have to match that gear up from another model.

Welcome to flying, fixing and fun. There is a whole rc world to explore and lots of people here to help.
gordonzo is offline Find More Posts by gordonzo
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:05 AM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubletap View Post
Saw the EX RC Sky Crawler at my local Costco, it's a very typical mid size 3 CH, RF controlled type toy heli with 130 size motors and most likely 1000mah 3.7V lipo,very similar to the JM806
Thanks. The included charger is 3.7V 800mA. If it's a 1000mAH lipo, it shouldn't take two hours to charge (indicated in manual)...

Does anyone know if the battery can be charged at 2C?
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:06 AM
I feel the need...
Orange County
Joined Feb 2011
459 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonzo View Post
Am I correct in assuming you are fairly new to rc helis? You have come to the right place.

I believe the upper gear is attached to the outer shaft/lower blades. Requires a bit of disassembly but a good, easy learning experience. I have only once seen the upper gear damaged on any coax heli, and that was caused by a hard hit with the power kept on full. Is that what happened? It's ok - you can tell us.

Things your seller may not tell you about your rc heli:
1. Seller's descriptions are frequently exaggerated.
2. Most coax's need a calm day to fly outdoors.
3. Li-po battery management is critical. Read up on it or ask questions.
4. Learn to cut the throttle when crashing.
5. Certain frequencies (& infrared) may experience interference in certain areas which can cause momentary loss of control.
6. Some helis, particularly department store models, can be hard to find parts for. You may have to match that gear up from another model.

Welcome to flying, fixing and fun. There is a whole rc world to explore and lots of people here to help.
I'd guess he took it back to the store, blaming it on the heli...
Old Nov 05, 2011, 03:07 AM
Joined Oct 2011
31 Posts
a nice helis,I must have one
Aara chen is offline Find More Posts by Aara chen
Old Nov 05, 2011, 04:24 AM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,744 Posts
Are there any replacement parts available online for this helicopter (not what comes with the box)?
Heli Pad is online now Find More Posts by Heli Pad