HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 26, 2001, 11:19 AM
ohio, youngstown
Joined Sep 2001
329 Posts
best 7-8 cell Heli options???

Well, its time for my next heli, I will be upgrading from a Elmh to another but want to stay with 7-8cells. whats the opinions, I would like something bigger than a elmh, but don't want to go to 10 cells unless I have too. I would also like some thing that looks good to, not to keen on the hornet looks ( sorry guys) maybe the concept!!! not to likely I will be flying inverted but good rolls are a must and nice loops would be great. I have only had the Elmh for a few months and it has been about 12 years since I flew gas heli's so I am no expert pilot
please if you can give recomendations and why one vrs another not just an heli name.

thanks guys
Jon:
jschick is offline Find More Posts by jschick
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 26, 2001, 12:42 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Look at the Voyager and the stock or Hacker 7L setup. Flight times will be down a tad with 8 cells, but if that waht you want to use there you are.

If you are going ot spend a good amount on a heli, why limit yourself to just the batteries you have?

JMO
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Oct 26, 2001, 01:39 PM
ohio, youngstown
Joined Sep 2001
329 Posts
Fred,
you are probably right. more than likely I will make up some more packs, I am also heavy into boats as well and run 7 and 8 cell packs in them but I have about 15 or so packs and I can turn several of them into 10 or so cells easily. if I use more cells will it likly change your recomendation on heli's.

thanks again
Jon
Old Oct 26, 2001, 03:31 PM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Don't think you'll be dissapointed with the Kyosho EP - perfect for those 7cell packs on the stock motor for 'pottering around', and on 8cell combinations aerobatics are a must.

Mine has the Hughes 500 kit on, wooden blades, and a couple of Zeal shafts and I'm just looking at convertin to brushless with the Hacker/Shulze parts.

Of course the Voyager is the new baby but I've not seen any fly yet so can't really comment on it.

Cheers
Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Oct 26, 2001, 04:04 PM
ohio, youngstown
Joined Sep 2001
329 Posts
Richard,
what do you get for flight times on the 7 and 8 cell packs?
That 500 fuse is one of the reasons I like the concept, I am sure it will fit others but sure looks good.

thanks
Jon
Old Oct 27, 2001, 01:14 PM
Cheshire, England
Joined Mar 2001
504 Posts
Jon,

I haven't tried the eight cell pack since I put the 500 on but with the seven's I get a good four minutes before having to get back to 'safety' while the pack give its last few electrons.

Come to think of it, I haven't used the eight cell pack with the wooden blades - only the foam ones which I wasn't that impressed with. If I had messed with the settings to match the head spead better with the power available I may have got somewhere but I always liked the way it flew on the sevens.

If I eventually get around to purchasing the brushless setup, I will be impressed if I can reach five minutes but I won't be holding my breath - I don't think brushless gives all that much extra in this size like it does with the bigger toys.

The fus is great - kind of a 'washing up liquid' bottle material and flexes nicely when required (you know, when the blades make contact with the boom!!). The undercarriage is also taller making the tail blades last longer cause there are less grass 'nicks'!

Cheers
Richard.
Dangerous Dick is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous Dick
Old Oct 27, 2001, 11:35 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
yeh ? well if you are worried about grass nicks , then do this mod , this is on my voyager E , these blades were, (were!!) 30 gas ms blades, I cut them down , and so far no trouble with 90 flights on them. the voyager is one tuff bird and can handle 7 which is alittle weak with the stock motor and the bl motor, to 12 cells which will be 2 6 cell 1700scr, that will out do any 30 class heli in a drag, ,
I have a concept too as you can see it under my nickname , and with the right setup there , you can make it a bad heli too , but I dont think it will out do the voyager, its a tuff heli too ,
the eco and the genmantel are bad to the bone too but dont crash them to hard , he he , logo dont know yet there but its good
Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Oct 28, 2001, 01:37 AM
Joined Oct 2001
9 Posts
Carbon graphite vertical fin

I would be interested to know where you got the carbon fiber vertical fin on your Voyager.

Thanks,

Tim
toolman is offline Find More Posts by toolman
Old Oct 28, 2001, 01:59 AM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey

yeh, this is tail fins for the voyager, and was bought from FXAeromodels in ft. worth tx. $19.50 and carbon fiber side frames for 39.00 . so its a real good deal

Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo