SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:03 PM
Make Flying Fun
United States, MD, Lutherville-Timonium
Joined May 2003
1,473 Posts
Is it to late to swap a Regular Helios for the XXLite version?
KevinSharbonda is offline Find More Posts by KevinSharbonda
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 28, 2011, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinSharbonda View Post
Is it to late to swap a Regular Helios for the XXLite version?
nope, if you don't mind to wait a bit longer... i will need to do some more testing before i decide wich lay-up and construction technique i will apply.

-kristof-
krikkens is offline Find More Posts by krikkens
Old Nov 29, 2011, 08:37 AM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
That's the spirit Kevin!

Kristof,
Dang, very impressive! I was talking about per half, so 52g total for my wing cores. Your cores are half the weight, very nice! Get one shipped stateside so we can compare it with the latest and greatest on this shore.
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Nov 29, 2011, 02:10 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
hi,

today it was a bit windy and i got the chance to see how the xx behaved in this type of condition .

i used 30 and 45 grams of ballast and when wind started to blow harder i feld i could use some more .

my ram 3 registered an average throw of about 63 meter this time with the highest beeing 67 and a few 66 meter .

last throws where the highest it was more windy then and i switched from 30 to 45 gram lead.

flight behaviour was still very good to my suprise , it still handled super nicely .

-kristof-
Old Nov 29, 2011, 03:39 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krikkens View Post
hi,

today it was a bit windy and i got the chance to see how the xx behaved in this type of condition .

i used 30 and 45 grams of ballast and when wind started to blow harder i feld i could use some more .

my ram 3 registered an average throw of about 63 meter this time with the highest beeing 67 and a few 66 meter .

last throws where the highest it was more windy then and i switched from 30 to 45 gram lead.

flight behaviour was still very good to my suprise , it still handled super nicely .

-kristof-
Hey Kristof,

Looking at the superb quality of your new glider, and reading the above average launch heights, I'm convinced that this XXLite is the monster that one needs to be really competitive in 2012. Please put me down for one XXLite on your long delivery list.

And congratulations on this innovative design !

Yves
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:54 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
hi,

next time i will have the aileron pushrod's inside the fuselage, i'm still able to put in 5 or even 7 balls of 20gr lead.(same ballast system as the helios)

i will be tight but it is possible as you can see..

-kristof-
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:58 PM
Aurora Builder
United States, MD, Lusby
Joined Nov 2003
3,453 Posts
...so when are you breaking 100m on launch?
samc99us is offline Find More Posts by samc99us
Old Nov 30, 2011, 04:23 PM
COSMOPOLITAN
Joined Oct 2005
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
He wants to crack the 300 feet first. Right now Kristof is not only building the XXLite, but also muscle to increase his rotating speed. Tom Boonen may help him in achieving that goal.

So hang in there sam99, it's coming sometime in the Spring of 2012.

Yves88
ydevriendt is offline Find More Posts by ydevriendt
Old Nov 30, 2011, 05:01 PM
Joined Aug 2009
1,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samc99us View Post
when i find the right altimeter

i need to calibrate mine(ram3) somehow ,find a building of known height or something.

yesterday i was able to get 67 meter on my ram 3 , the day before (only) 55.

i really do think some guy's could throw 80 meter and maybe even more...

-kristof-
Old Nov 30, 2011, 07:34 PM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Sep 2010
764 Posts
Those green balls looks like the nuclear power source for a 100 meter launch.

Good luck on that quest for 100m. That will take a few extra green balls for sure!

Eric
NCDLG is offline Find More Posts by NCDLG
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:05 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:

i need to calibrate mine(ram3) somehow ,find a building of known height or something.

-kristof-
Kristof,

I thought about what might be the best way to do this and came up with an idea a while back.

Here in the States we often have large and high parking structures. In Reno, some go up at least 10 levels, are open at the top, and this proabaly works out to be at least 200 ft. How high really does not matter, just that they are high. I take a line and drop it down from the top to the bottom and then measure the line. I have basically and exact height. The I zero the altimeter and pull it up the same height, and take a reading. You can repeat it easily, so you can get an average.

Seemed simple for me since the height of the structure I normally can't throw my plane over it.

Just an idea that is fairly simple, perhaps with 2 people.

Chris
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:17 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:

yesterday i was able to get 67 meter on my ram 3 , the day before (only) 55.

i really do think some guy's could throw 80 meter and maybe even more...

-kristof-
In my opinion 67 M with a 1 ft/sec sink rate gives a time well over 3 minutes.

Personally, after looking at F1A planes, you really need to camber the ship to at least 3.8% to get the sink rate you need. I do not think you are cambering to that amount because that is nearly the amount used in flaps for landing and we are not used to that. The F1As, althought much lagerin span, are alot heavier than what you have.

I think, IMHO, that we should already be doing that. And, the F1As are alot heavier.

I also have many toehr Freeflgith ideas that might frighten some. Just got to do them.

Chris
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:25 PM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2 View Post
In my opinion 67 M with a 1 ft/sec sink rate gives a time well over 3 minutes.

Personally, after looking at F1A planes, you really need to camber the ship to at least 3.8% to get the sink rate you need. I do not think you are cambering to that amount because that is nearly the amount used in flaps for landing and we are not used to that. The F1As, althought much lagerin span, are alot heavier than what you have.

I think, IMHO, that we should already be doing that. And, the F1As are alot heavier.

I also have many toehr Freeflgith ideas that might frighten some. Just got to do them.

Chris
Correct me if I'm wrong because I know very little of the F1 side of modeling, but the F1A's are not using the same airfoils, they're optimized for different performance. IMO, using very high cambering on this particular application would add more drag and decrease the dead air time. It seems to me to be comparing apples to oranges. I guess really this is more of a question than fact because again I know little about F1A

Frightening ideas have changed the world!
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Nov 30, 2011, 08:58 PM
United States, AZ, Arizona City
Joined Sep 2001
4,983 Posts
Chris,

Time to start the thread

Gary
GaryO is offline Find More Posts by GaryO
Old Nov 30, 2011, 10:15 PM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wave Glider View Post
It seems to me to be comparing apples to oranges. I guess really this is more of a question than fact because again I know little about F1A

Frightening ideas have changed the world!
I am totally supporting Kristofs ideas, they are expectional.

I compared the Drela F1A sections to some current Drela DLG sections and the difference is alot in camber, e. g,. NG-01.

We are so used to only dropping the flaps 1 or 2 mm from the reflexed positions that we currently fly and only think any more is just for landing flaps. If Kristof's plane indeed addresses the dead air times after a reflexed fast launch, as I think he is doing, I would attempt going beyond the extreme that everyone is so accustomed to. I refuse to be as tunneled visioned as some appear to be. Kristof is way beyond most others here, IMHO.

As for another thread, no, you guys would basically just rip it appart until i it proves otherwise.

I am very interested in Krstof's work, Grea t going, Kristof!