HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:17 AM
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
557 Posts
record your landings and watch them later thru the goggles to get used to the view, speed, etc...
rcall is offline Find More Posts by rcall
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 07:29 AM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
You'll also probably find as you descent towards your landing runway or field via FPV, you'll be concentrating on a smooth landing, so might tend to glide... glide... glide some more..... as you think about touching down softly, which can potentially cause you to overrun the landing area!

I've almost done this - landed a foot away from the hedge, at the edge of the field!

- So be assertive in your descent towards the landing spot (via FPV).
SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
383 Posts
Yup, that's exactly what happened in one of my few FPV landings. Flew across the whole field and landed 10cm away from the hedge!
Protocrash is offline Find More Posts by Protocrash
Old Nov 01, 2011, 04:59 PM
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Jun 2002
2,970 Posts
ya, learn to land LOS and see how the plane reacts when stalling/to wind/shear & how much room it actually needs. keep some speed more than needed through your downwind leg around 1/2 throttle. to avoid PE induced stall/deep stall/tip stall/torque roll (not applicable to you)/otherwise crashing due to lack of control authority VS wind shear/crosswinds/wind suddenly changing.
1/3 throttle through your downwind turn
1/4 throttle or less down the glide slope, but leave some throttle in unless you're actively trying to bleed off a lot of altitude. (remember that prop wash is a very large factor to control authority at low speed)
once you hit ground effect (altitude equal to your wing span) youll can use that for a nice soft cushion as you get closer to the ground.

ever notice (well more with larger planes) how even a dicey approach can suddenly turn into a great smooth landing in the last 3-5' of altitude? plane magically hits a combination of steady, level & slow decent? or a plane with a lot of wing area (especially gliders/sailplanes/thermal/hotliners) get near the ground and just do NOT want to stop flying? ground effect FTW. take advantage of it & ride it like a pro. if you've got somewhat of a floater, take that into account & get rid of altitude sooner.
do that youll never have a problem.

just think about it like flying a scale plane & not flying a 3D plane/funfly where you could come down vertically at an idle. have some room, don't be cramped into a landing. eventually asking for trouble.
Toysrme is offline Find More Posts by Toysrme
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:23 PM
BEOWULF
North vancouver, B.C. Canada
Joined Apr 2008
18,581 Posts
keep im mind the cameras lens and actual distance to the spot you want to land

with a typical 3.6mm things can happen faster

you will of landed sooner than you think because things will look further away than they actually are

pointing the camera in a perfect horizontal line with your plane, so you look straight ahead really help judge the ground as it come to wards you

if in doubt do another turn around and try again, but also be ready to use throttle to get you to the landing spot if needed

speed in the approach is better than a really slow approach
its better to land slightly faster than slightly to slow

because a cross wind or turbulence can easily flip over the plane when it is going to slow

landing with the goggles on is way easier than landing with them not on
David22 is offline Find More Posts by David22
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:36 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,390 Posts
TwinStar Landing

Landing Close:
Landing Close (0 min 15 sec)

Landing a few months ago for the first time with stabilization on:
Landing with the FY20a (0 min 47 sec)

Learning to line up straight in FPV... and failing:
Easy Star eats bush (0 min 12 sec)
CaliDave is offline Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:44 PM
Multi Rotors Rule ! ;-)
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2010
879 Posts
^ CaliDave...

Landing a few months ago for the first time with stabilization on: ... All 3, SWEET!

Learning to line up straight in FPV... and failing: ... That wasn't your fault, that twiggy bush thing jumped in the way!

SkyEyes is offline Find More Posts by SkyEyes
Old Nov 01, 2011, 05:52 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Hm. Maybe it's due to all the video games and flight simulator but my landings tend to work out pretty well through the goggles. I have a wing that I need launch goggles off with but land just fine with them on. I am converting a 1/6th scale balsa cub to electric and this may be a FPV plane. Which will be a different experience as I have landing gear now
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Nov 01, 2011, 06:28 PM
United States, WI, Eau Claire
Joined May 2011
1,041 Posts
Same here Bear_pants - 25 years of playing every flight sim out there has really helped when it comes to landings. Just remember that no bad landings come from good approaches...
banzi28 is offline Find More Posts by banzi28
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:12 PM
Suspended Account
United States, NJ, Manchester
Joined May 2011
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by banzi28 View Post
Same here Bear_pants - 25 years of playing every flight sim out there has really helped when it comes to landings. Just remember that no bad landings come from good approaches...
This ^

and it's nice that you can feel the wind direction on your body and instantly feel the difference on your plane. then compensate. Much fun!
Bear_Pants is offline Find More Posts by Bear_Pants
Old Nov 01, 2011, 08:52 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Sep 2006
3,332 Posts
yea bad thing is though if you forget youre looking at your plane when you feel the wind... my best input is to fly your plane to lvc and not give yourself enough time to take off the goggles... ive done that before....

also remember that you will be almost to the ground before you land, my problem is thinking the plane is taller than it really is and flaring and setting up for a landing that is 4 or so foot high
paintz2007 is offline Find More Posts by paintz2007
Old Nov 01, 2011, 09:58 PM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
964 Posts
I like to set the power to 90 watts... (just above stall for me) and fly it there..

Do you have an OSD . ?

Eddie
EddieWeeks is offline Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:31 PM
United States, MI, Detroit
Joined Feb 2004
9,090 Posts
here's a video of one of my better landings. My OSD went out so I was pretty much landing by feel from a way too high altitude. I usually have my pitot fed airspeed to give me cues on my approach. Here I cut power when i made my turn to final and never gave any more power the rest of the approach. I just used varying deflections of flaps to adjust my glide slope and speed.

Landing is the last minute or so

Untitled (2 min 46 sec)
ashdec87 is offline Find More Posts by ashdec87
Old Nov 02, 2011, 07:55 PM
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
I fly a Slow Stick with FPV, it is a completely different plane than you are flying and the FPV is through the GoPro HD that is mounted below the fuselage and sees the wheels during the landing. Yes, I need a better FPV camera.

So far I've flown at the same place and the wind is usually out of the north, if it is too strong I don't fly. Slow Sticks don't like much wind. They really don't like stronger winds aloft.

First, I flew non FPV with the GoPro and did a lot of looking at videos of the landings. This helped a lot. A standard left hand landing pattern soon became apparent. Upwind is overhead or a bit outboard. Crosswind is over a sidewalk. Downwind is over a tree line, the trees help establish altitude. I take the downwind farther in FPV than eyeball flying. The end of the downwind has a good landmark. Base is flown a bit, usually the power is pulled back a couple clicks, this lowers the view of the sky above the horizon. Final has three very good landmarks. One is a bare ball field, this will be passed on the left, so it is on the right of the field of view. Next there is a ditch to fly over, it runs crosswise to the flight path, I use it for altitude control. After the ditch there are a couple of crosswise grass lines but I'm looking at the touchdown location and the relation between the wheels and the ground.

The Slow Stick is very stable in pitch, elevator isn't used in flight much, just a little in turns. Climb power is one or two clicks above cruise power. Descent power is two or three clicks less than cruise. All approaches are power on, glide slope is maintained with power. Flare is done by adding a click of power and adding some up elevator.

There are three elevator trim settings, mixed onto the flap switch. Flaps up is cruise and takeoff. Flaps 1 is the approach and landing trim, it gives a lower airspeed. This needs to be changed to: Flaps 0 is fast cruise, for penetration in winds aloft. Flaps 1 is slower cruise and takeoff. Flaps 2 is slow flight, approach and landing trim. Using this method for pitch trim takes some work load off the pilot.

My landings are a lot better in FPV than in eyeball flying. Everything is easier to judge.

Also I have an observer pilot there, he verifies altitude, location and throttle settings. He is very important to the process.
MikeSSS is offline Find More Posts by MikeSSS
Old Nov 02, 2011, 10:05 PM
Registered DSer
Australia, VIC, Hadfield
Joined Mar 2003
2,862 Posts
In my skim reading, I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that you need to plan your landing before you consider taking off. You'll know the wind direction for take-off, so plan your final approach to be in the same direction (into wind). Take a look around the planned landing spot to note and recall which land-marks (and obstructions) you'll be looking for on the final approach.

Further, if you're worried about the approach speed and rate of decent, determine the speed (if using OSD) or throttle setting (if not) that gives you a nice controlled glide slope that is above the stall speed. Do this exercise with plenty of height so that you can test out how slow is too slow (stall).

When landing FPV, I plan a looong final approach, which helps me set up the glide slope and aim for the pre-planned landing spot. This avoids rushing, which mayd otherwise lead to a massive overshoot or a stall -> last second panic -> damaged plane.

A bit of pre-planning, and a little bit of high altitude practicing should make the 'real-deal' a lot easier.

Roger.
Kahnx is offline Find More Posts by Kahnx