SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 31, 2011, 03:33 PM
SamuelS94
UK
Joined Oct 2008
57 Posts
Discussion
Any recommendations on the Planet T5 Transmitter ?

Any recommendations on the Planet T5 transmitter and receiver for use in a large parkflyers ?

Thanks
sam-smith is offline Find More Posts by sam-smith
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 01, 2011, 10:07 AM
Australia, NSW
Joined Jul 2011
90 Posts
Sam, I've just been searching the forums to see if the T7 had popped up in discussion, which it hasn't, but I came across your thread. I'm using a Planet T5 on a 1.5m 59" wingspan cessna 182. I got the radio from my son's wrecked Twister Blackhawk chopper earlier this year and googled around after some info on them and found two sites of interest.
Namely, the T5 owner manual from the Aus importer modelengines.com.au and an ecouraging review someone copied from a presumably UK magazine modelflying.co.uk.

I've been tossing and turning for a year or more what to upgrade to from our radios that came with parkzone and hobbyzone RTFs. Wanting to go with Futaba or maybe Spektrum but I was a bit annoyed at rx prices and this proprietary 2.4GHz acronymn contest for compatability. I've had no issues on AM and FM and wondered whether 2.4 was the way to go. Anyway, I salvaged the Planet gear from the Blackhawk and decided to try it out in the Cessna after the review I read and I couldn't be happier. Range hasn't been a problem with this large cessna getting at least 150m away without loss of signal. I fly off a cricket pitch which then I can fly over two football fields end to end and I can assure you the 150m is conservative.

Anyway, I like the feel of the radio, I like the metal handle, it works on Clearview simulator and I like the traditional trim slides. I bought another unboxed T5 and 6ch rx a few weeks ago when it turned up on ebay. They're easy to bind and with both radios on they talked to their respective rx without interference. Got my eyes out for a T7 now as I'd really like to have flaps and retracts on next build but they only seem to be boxed with the new Twister choppers with winches. I haven't found a T7 available new by itself. 7ch rx are plentiful from UK sellers though.

I'm sure one day I'll get a Futaba but at the moment the Planet T5 is just so simple and easy to use. The UK seems to be the cheapest place to pick up 6ch rx and I can see me buying more for future projects before making a leap into a computer radio. Sorry for the rant but I'm a fan

Attached manual and review.

PDFs were too big but I found the links;
Review, go to - http://www.mlwphotography.org.uk/sm3...-t5-review.pdf
For the manual - http://attachments.modelengines.com.au/products/files/7710202[460].pdf?r=1256277491
bellyup is offline Find More Posts by bellyup
Last edited by bellyup; Nov 01, 2011 at 10:47 AM. Reason: fixed links