HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:28 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan_m View Post
As promised here are some pictures of the EF Red 3" Spinner on the 74" Edge.
Color match is much closer than the Dubro spinner. The hole cutout is also quite large, which is the worst thing about the EF spinners to me.
Thank you for the picture. I love the big slot as it means no cutting and balancing no matter which prop I use. No one will see it once it's turning anyways. Heck, I'll just pretend that they are cooling holes. Those TruTurn guys want $100 for big cooling holes cut into their spinners!

BTW, I couldn't risk not getting a silver one and put my money down. Rob at ADChobbystore is being kind enough to hold it for awhile until I will be back to receive it.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:41 AM
doh!
United States, AR, Little Rock
Joined May 2006
4,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
does anyone know if the 74" has two slots in the tail for servos. ie one on each side. one for rudder and one for elevator?
with my heavy motor im probly going to have to do tail rudder servo.
also doesn anyone know if there offset top to bottom. or mirror image side to side?
There are two holes for servos. Both in the same spot. Presumably for dual elevator servos, though you could probably use on for a rudder push-pull. I'm not exactly sure where the linkages line up. The servo is below the stab itself IIRC with the linkage above the servo.

I've got a heavy motor as well, the Motrolfly 5320, which is 22.5 ounces with x-mount and prop adapter. Running a BEC-pro on the firewall, HV110 on the side of the motorbox. So pretty much everything is out on the nose for me.
No published CG for this thing yet, but I can stick my wings on tonight and see where it balances at. I haven't flown it yet, waiting on the weather/weekend.
From some of what I read though some people with the A50-12L were shoving packs pretty far forwards, so I'm not anticipating a problem with my setup...
ryan_m is offline Find More Posts by ryan_m
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:47 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
United States, CO, Denver
Joined May 2010
2,597 Posts
is the recommended setup to use pull pull for rudder when using 8S setup? I would prefer to use push/pull on rudder if possible.
DenverJayhawk is offline Find More Posts by DenverJayhawk
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:47 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
There are two holes for servos. Both in the same spot. Presumably for dual elevator servos, though you could probably use on for a rudder push-pull. I'm not exactly sure where the linkages line up. The servo is below the stab itself IIRC with the linkage above the servo.

I've got a heavy motor as well, the Motrolfly 5320, which is 22.5 ounces with x-mount and prop adapter. Running a BEC-pro on the firewall, HV110 on the side of the motorbox. So pretty much everything is out on the nose for me.
No published CG for this thing yet, but I can stick my wings on tonight and see where it balances at. I haven't flown it yet, waiting on the weather/weekend.
From some of what I read though some people with the A50-12L were shoving packs pretty far forwards, so I'm not anticipating a problem with my setup...
yea from what im reading and guessing this airframe will take some horses up front and still balance well with packs in the good spots on the tray.I cant wait till you fly yours i wanna hear how it comes out balance wise.I'm wondering how a 4325 8s 4000 setup would balance too.
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:51 AM
Killeen TX
Joined Dec 2006
1,441 Posts
Quote:

wow that is alot of weight up front

my old man got an email from KM saying CG at 5.25" if i recall. i need to reread to double check though
STANG KILLA SS is offline Find More Posts by STANG KILLA SS
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:54 AM
iumop ap!sdn w,I
Joined May 2005
6,447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
yea from what im reading and guessing this airframe will take some horses up front and still balance well with packs in the good spots on the tray.I cant wait till you fly yours i wanna hear how it comes out balance wise.I'm wondering how a 4325 8s 4000 setup would balance too.
I'm very curious about how it'll balance with a 4325 too. I'm going to order a 5320, but I may throw that in my 72" SC as it could really use the weight up front with my 8s 3800 set up.
G.P. is offline Find More Posts by G.P.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 11:57 AM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
someone donate me an edge Ill let ya know..
HEY Randidly has one but I think he wet 6s.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:16 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
ya, CG at 5.25" from the leading edge at the wing root. This is how Joe is flying it, it's a little ahead of neutral as far as I know.

as for putting the rudder servo in the tail... the plane is short in the nose, and the main area is shortened for gas setups with the extender box. In general I think it will be easier to balance properly with the pull-pull set up. The electric setups so far, they've balanced well, but the packs are forward and they have pull-pull. outside of that, I don't have any other data. I'd go pull-pull maybe if you like neutral setups, but then again, slide the packs back and it will be neutral or tail heavy with the pull-pull. Even with it balancing slightly ahead of neutral, the elevator on this machine is a beast.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Nov 30, 2011, 12:21 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
another thing that one can do is build the plane and do everything everything ready to fly but the rudder servo... then sit it in the pull-pull location and balance the plane... see how it goes. tape it to the plane down at the tail, and see if you can balance it.

but in general, pull-pull will balance the Edge easier and is still a very positive way of actuating the rudder.
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:15 PM
3D Sunset Flier
PHX
Joined Jun 2008
4,053 Posts
Quick question;

A friend of mine thinks I need to run my Savox SC-1258TG's from a single A123. Do you think 6.6 volts would hurt? I have a WR BEC that I may solder into the system instead at a steady & crisp 6.0 volts.

Opinions welcomed,

-Buzzed

Buzzed is offline Find More Posts by Buzzed
Old Nov 30, 2011, 01:34 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Quick question;

A friend of mine thinks I need to run my Savox SC-1258TG's from a single A123. Do you think 6.6 volts would hurt? I have a WR BEC that I may solder into the system instead at a steady & crisp 6.0 volts.

Opinions welcomed,

-Buzzed

want me to power one up at 6.6 volts and find out?... when would he need to know by?
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:22 PM
3DHS 'native'
USA, TX, Spring
Joined Jan 2008
5,929 Posts
One A123? 3.6v?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzed View Post
Quick question;

Opinions welcomed,

-Buzzed

going4speed is offline Find More Posts by going4speed
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:40 PM
United States, LA, Moss Bluff
Joined Nov 2008
8,151 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
want me to power one up at 6.6 volts and find out?... when would he need to know by?
you gonna poof test it?
robj is offline Find More Posts by robj
Old Nov 30, 2011, 02:57 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed View Post
One A123? 3.6v?
2s a 123 he means im pretty sure.they have nominal voltage of about 6.6 volts
Old Nov 30, 2011, 03:05 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robj View Post
you gonna poof test it?
I can power a servo up on 6.6v, my Edge still needs some more love before it's flying for me to actually fly them that way (I had to get some foamies made for this weekend). but doing a search, some heli dudes are running them on 6.6v for their cyclic, so apparently they can stand the voltage... will need to confirm the load we put on them though.