HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 08:46 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Nope, I didn't add any weight. Mine flys pretty neutral.
thanks, that is what I was thinking, I added some weight to get it to balance on the bench, but it feels a bit nose heavy, so I'm going to pull it out and test it in the air again
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:01 PM
Yard Dart
United States, TN, Woodbury
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
I need some advice! My canopy came off during a flat spin and I went in panic mood and landed a little rougher than usual. There was no damage to anything. I put my canopy back on and went through my normal routine. I moved all control surfaces and my aileron hung in the down position. I turned my plane off and back on the aileron came back to trim position. I moved it again and it hung down. Turned tx off and plane off same thing happened. I switched left and right aileron channels and it worked fine. I then switched the cables back to the proper channels and through the day I would test it and it worked fine. I didn't want to take a chance so I sent the servo back to hitec. Today I called and they said the servo was fine and they are shipping it back. The servo is a 7954 sh running on 2s unregulated. Should I just fly it or check something else?
Letzrock is offline Find More Posts by Letzrock
Old Feb 07, 2013, 06:08 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,097 Posts
Only a shot in the dark here, but did you re-bind your receiver after doing the set up on your plane? Not doing so, will cause some funky things to happen, and the other thing I would do is to replace the servo extension if you have one installed.

And...as to your canopy coming off...try pulling the canopy lock pin out a but with a pair of pliers, it seems that recently some of them have been pushed in too far....

SteveT.
SteveT. is offline Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:08 PM
Yard Dart
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Only a shot in the dark here, but did you re-bind your receiver after doing the set up on your plane? Not doing so, will cause some funky things to happen, and the other thing I would do is to replace the servo extension if you have one installed.

And...as to your canopy coming off...try pulling the canopy lock pin out a but with a pair of pliers, it seems that recently some of them have been pushed in too far....

SteveT.
I have the canopy issue fixed. I'm just having a problem trusting that servo after see it lock in the down position 3 times. We had a club meeting tonight and I asked several members what they thought. I was told to buy a new servo that it wasn't worth the risk.
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:12 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,170 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Letzrock View Post
I have the canopy issue fixed. I'm just having a problem trusting that servo after see it lock in the down position 3 times. We had a club meeting tonight and I asked several members what they thought. I was told to buy a new servo that it wasn't worth the risk.
might wanna have the receiver checked out... maybe swap it as there may be a glitch on the channel?
Manta1 is offline Find More Posts by Manta1
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:13 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,097 Posts
I was thinking that also....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 07, 2013, 09:27 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
I have had bad servo extensions that could cause a headache. I would check the extension.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Feb 07, 2013, 11:49 PM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:04 AM
Yard Dart
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
I agree. It could be the servo extension. I've seen the pins not align in the connector and push one out (minimum contact). Hitec HD Gold extensions work best with Hitec servos.

The problem I see is that it locks in the down position and never any other position.

To me that sounds like binding somewhere or a single broken tooth on one of the servo gears. I would have Hitec take the servo apart, clean and inspect gear train for chips.

These servos do have internal fail safe positions and overload protection. It could be in the programming. I've got a programmer if you need it.

Chris (Aero104)

Ps- you might look to see if you have excessive "sub-trim" or "regular trim" on that channel. It could be overdriving servo in that one direction.
A new extension is easy cheap insurance. No excessive sub-trim or regular trim. zeroed servo and then adjusted linkage to achieve aileron trim. I guess I need to invest in a servo programmer. I guess to cover all the bases I need to send my receiver(ar8000) back to spectrum for inspection. When the servo hung down D/R was at 75%. I checked the aileron last night and it is very free no binding. No damage to SFG either. It is possibly when the SFG hit the ground it shoved it into the aileron. Maybe the shock of that caused a overload. In my mind it does lean toward a extensions because the problem went away after I switched channels back and forth.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:42 AM
Support Your Local Hobby Shops
Nashville, TN
Joined Feb 2005
748 Posts
aero104 is offline Find More Posts by aero104
Last edited by aero104; Mar 14, 2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:51 AM
Yard Dart
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aero104 View Post
Switching channels could be a conicidence. Unless you could consistently get the other aileron servo to lock in the same position. Therefore, a receiver glitch is unlikely.

When I troubleshoot, I try to find the scenario that consistantly causes the problem. Then find a solution that fixes the problem. And finally go back to recreate the original problem. Otherwise, you are only making assumptions about the limited testing data.

If the servo just jumps uncommanded to a position and locks, I would think a programming glitch, binding error, data code corruption in rx or tx.

With the servo getting caught in one position, I still think it is chipped servo gear. One way to test is to put servo load tester (or watt meter w/ custom harness) inline during test. If the amp load goes really high while servo locked = internal gear binding.

Chris (aero104)
I would think that hitec would have caught that problem. If they didn't I'm not very impressed with there service.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:39 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,097 Posts
Quote:
A new extension is easy cheap insurance. No excessive sub-trim or regular trim. zeroed servo and then adjusted linkage to achieve aileron trim. I guess I need to invest in a servo programmer. I guess to cover all the bases I need to send my receiver(ar8000) back to spectrum for inspection. When the servo hung down D/R was at 75%. I checked the aileron last night and it is very free no binding. No damage to SFG either. It is possibly when the SFG hit the ground it shoved it into the aileron. Maybe the shock of that caused a overload. In my mind it does lean toward a extensions because the problem went away after I switched channels back and forth.
Are you using any kind of servo lead extension locks? I highly recommend the "Nifty Keepers" by Sonic Tronics. They glue onto the female part of the extension with just a drop of thick CA. and do not put any strain on the wires like some brands do....

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 01:59 PM
Yard Dart
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
Are you using any kind of servo lead extension locks? I highly recommend the "Nifty Keepers" by Sonic Tronics. They glue onto the female part of the extension with just a drop of thick CA. and do not put any strain on the wires like some brands do....

SteveT.
No I have not been using any. But I did buy some for my 89" slick and I will be using those on my edge from now on.

When I get my servo back I'm going to disassemble it myself and inspect the gears myself. I can see where a chipped gear tooth could get lodged and cause a lockup. Kinda looking for anything to put my mind at ease.
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:01 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
27,097 Posts
Quote:
No I have not been using any. But I did buy some for my 89" slick and I will be using those on my edge from now on.

When I get my servo back I'm going to disassemble it myself and inspect the gears myself. I can see where a chipped gear tooth could get lodged and cause a lockup. Kinda looking for anything to put my mind at ease.
Yes, I know that feeling....until you find what actually caused the issue, you always have that worry in your mind that it's going to do it again....not good...

SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 02:05 PM
Yard Dart
Joined Aug 2012
146 Posts
If I can't find the problem I will be buying a new servo along with a extension. It's just not worth the risk.