Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:31 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens View Post
Good luck getting my wife to hold a plane while I look at the numbers on the scale.... She'd never go for that....
hehehehehe

Ya Bivens your edge did NOT feel heavy via os go...nope harriers,elevators,hovers just floated down..Tumbles were gnarley to say the least..
Manta1 is online now Find More Posts by Manta1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:39 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,286 Posts
got my a60-6xs installed, 1/4 spaces and 2 washer got my gap to........almost nothing, got my new glaciers 5300 6s in today (which by the way are about 80 grams lighter than the 2 gens ace 2500 I was running) and the 21x10 prop, watt tested at 2287 at 97 amps. Tomorrow is suppose to be sunny, 60 and calm to 5 mph winds. Can't wait to see how it compares to the 4325-380
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts
Last edited by 3drcparts; Jan 29, 2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:43 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,347 Posts
very interested to hear how you think the comparison is
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 29, 2013, 08:51 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
Quote:
Good luck getting my wife to hold a plane while I look at the numbers on the scale.... She'd never go for that....
Hence the first suggestion of you standing on the scale...

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:02 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted-I-Fly View Post
got my a60-6xs installed, 1/4 spaces and 2 washer got my gap to........almost nothing, got my new glaciers 5300 6s in today (which by the way are about 80 grams lighter than the 2 gens ace 2500 I was running) and the 21x10 prop, watt tested at 2287 at 97 amps. Tomorrow is suppose to be sunny, 60 and calm to 5 mph winds. Can't wait to see how it compares to the 4325-380
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
very interested to hear how you think the comparison is
me too. you went down in kv, up on weight (might balance better with mo weight?)
prop is a big one WOOT!. I'm gonna slap a 4330 on my slick soon and run 20x8 on it.
Good luck and get video if you can.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:22 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,286 Posts
actually just going mostly with Joe's setup,
http://www.flylow3d.com/index.htm

I remember reading somewhere where he said this plane needed a 21x10 and my limited time with the 19x10 confirmed this, it felt like I was chasing it in post stall all the time.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 09:24 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
268 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT. View Post
You need to understand, that it is not just weight per square in of wing, but also cubic wing loading. If yoo compare the cubic wing loading of your 59" Slick, and the Edge, you will find that the Edge comes out with much more favorable numbers....

And.....these planes have been designed for these engines or motors, and are going to fly just fine.....don't over-think it, all the thinking that needs to be done has already been done....get the plane, put the engine/motor of choice on it and go fly. I guarantee you will find that it will fly great!!

SteveT.
Thanks Steve. I have read some about Cubic Loading but didn't really understand it much. You are right, I was/am overthinking it. I'm always nervous setting up a new plane especially being the first time setting up gas I want to get it right.

Quote:
First, as planes get larger...the wing loading MUST increase to maintain the same "feel"...and "energy" as smaller planes. For example...the wing loading on a 40%er is MUCH higher than that of your 59 slick too...but I PROMISE you that you won't feel it as a bad thing.....Just like Steve says...CUBIC LOADING is the factor that you should compare...that concept was developed in the interest of being able to compare the "feel" of different sizes of planes and knowing what to expect.....wing loading does not scale up with airframe size as you would expect.

Second.....This edge flies GREAT with the GT33 on a stock pipe...not heavy at all....holds energy very well...flies nearly 20 minutes easy on a 10oz tank, with reserve. Run a single 2200mah 2s lipo pack for the RX...power the ignition from that pack through an opto-kill or IBEC ( I believe the OS ignitions are safe to run at 2s lipo voltage....but you need to confirm this...I run mine through an IBEC that regulates it down to less than 6v....because I had it laying around). I'm running a full size throttle servo...and I'd advise you to follow that trend in the interest of durability....I've seen mini-servos die more often on the throttle of 30cc planes...and the weight savings there is not enough to matter much.

Will it be heavier than electric....yes. Will it fly great...YES. I've flown Joe's eleccy version with the superfast servos...it flies really nice....and maybe a little lighter...but I am very happy with gas.

The truth is....If you've never owned a GT33 powered 74..or 72...or 71.....you should try one someday and develop your own opinion. If you are still not sure you'll like it...just go electric...no big deal. Both setups are great.

This size airframe is the perfect place to make the overlap from gas to Electric for almost everyone....it flies great with longer flight times if gas....is lighter but only flies 5-7 minutes if electric. For me, I'm GAS in this size.....I've had electric 6s planes before and still do (70 slick, 68 velox, 65 vyper, Osiris)...the velox, vyper, and Osiris are all smaller and lighter than the 70....I have had great results with those...but my hacker in the 70 ALWAYS ran hot for me...and Wamsy promptly cooked it when I sold it to him....and I've cooked other 6s motors before also. I like Gas because IF you want to be stupid...you can just firewall it for 15 minutes, land, fuel it back up, and do it all again...without letting anything cool off between flights or needing to conserve energy to fly as long as you want.

For me...I like gas in this size...and DEFINATELY anything larger. Most others like electric in the 30cc size.......and Many others extend electric up to 60cc with ease, and even up to 120cc. So you can definately choose either way and draw advice from plenty of others.

Wamsy has a GREAT 72 now electric...and Joe's E-74 is amazing. Myself and Arron have gas 74's....they all fly great. It's nice to have options.

The one common theme between all of these great planes is to put GOOD servos in them...you'll regret it if you use cheap servos...then fly a plane that's setup with the good stuff.

Sorry for the long post....just felt like typing I suppose.

If you really want to know how it feels...come on down to K-town and you can fly it....and the 103, and the 119...we'll have a little experiment with wing loading vs. cubic loading.....you do the math, I'll provide the airplanes...
Thanks, Bivens. I have watched your videos of this plane on the OS, but you are a really good pilot and sometimes its hard to tell if a plane really flies that good or if the pilot just makes it look that good. (I believe Joe Smith could make a brick with no wings look like it 3d's easy. ) You have all convinced me to go with this engine and I will be ordering it tomorrow. Like you said if I don't like the way it flies I can still go electric and put this engine into something else later.

I will be running Savox 1258TG's all around including throttle. I do agree completely with you on not using lesser quality parts. I never skimp on servos or motor/engine. I will be a little while getting them rounded up as I don't have the funds currently. I really don't have money for the engine right now but I can't let this sale go by.

I am building a fiji water bottle tank with PSP Mfg hardware. I found 11oz fiji bottles at Wal-mart here and they are the perfect size. I can only fill them 8 oz if I want to save weight or fill completely for extended flight times.

My Rx/ignition battery will be a 2300mah A123 from Hangtimes.com. I will be running a Tech Aero Ultra IBEC to the ignition. I know a few people running them and they are made in the US which is a big deal to me.

Thanks so much to everyone for replying so quickly to this. I was away from the computer for a couple hours and come back to a ton of information helping me out.
PlaneCraz3d is online now Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:09 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
San Jose, CA
Joined Jan 2008
26,185 Posts
We're all here to help or learn.....and of course just B.S. a little....

SteveT.
SteveT. is online now Find More Posts by SteveT.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My hangar...
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:31 PM
OOPS
USA, GA, Cochran
Joined Jun 2008
20,153 Posts
Quote:

I remember reading somewhere where he said this plane needed a 21x10 and my limited time with the 19x10 confirmed this, it felt like I was chasing it in post stall all the time.
I wondered if the bigger swash of wind was what you were looking for.
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:50 PM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manta1 View Post
I wondered if the bigger swash of wind was what you were looking for.
that is what I'm thinking
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:39 AM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
788 Posts
Quote:

I noticed that Joe is using a Futaba R6008HS RX and has his BEC set at 8.2 V. But that is not a high voltage receiver. It says it can only go up to 6 V. How does that work? Seems like you would need the R6208SB.
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:15 AM
inverted-i-fly
Joined Mar 2011
4,286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil_SC View Post
I noticed that Joe is using a Futaba R6008HS RX and has his BEC set at 8.2 V. But that is not a high voltage receiver. It says it can only go up to 6 V. How does that work? Seems like you would need the R6208SB.
I fly spektrum , using the ar9010x on 8v, so I can't comment on Joes RX
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:05 AM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Apr 2010
4,383 Posts
On that GT33...I've ran several different props. I've ran a Vess wood 19A and 29A, a 20x6 Xoar laminated is nice. I also had a 20x6 Mej carbon on it....but my favorite by far is the 18.5x6W falcon carbon. It's a "special order" falcon that is sometimes not in stock. I like it enough that I bought a spare. On the gassers, don't forget that they turn more RPM than most E-setups....so the faster prop was is what allows it to feel in control with only the 18.5:" diameter. The 20x6 is also nice...but I like the throttle response with the 18.5 falcon....it's QUICK to respond, and the reduced diameter has very little torque compared to the 20's I've had on it.
Bivens is offline Find More Posts by Bivens
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, TX, Palacios
Joined Feb 2009
1,602 Posts
Quote:
On that GT33...I've ran several different props. I've ran a Vess wood 19A and 29A, a 20x6 Xoar laminated is nice. I also had a 20x6 Mej carbon on it....but my favorite by far is the 18.5x6W falcon carbon. It's a "special order" falcon that is sometimes not in stock. I like it enough that I bought a spare. On the gassers, don't forget that they turn more RPM than most E-setups....so the faster prop was is what allows it to feel in control with only the 18.5:" diameter. The 20x6 is also nice...but I like the throttle response with the 18.5 falcon....it's QUICK to respond, and the reduced diameter has very little torque compared to the 20's I've had on it.
Damn...that GT33 is a beast !!!
SportFlyer2 is offline Find More Posts by SportFlyer2
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:21 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
United States, PA, Allentown
Joined May 2011
2,995 Posts
So if I went with a motrolfly 4330 for this plane, would this plane be better with the 400kv and a 19x10 prop or a 350-370kv and a 21x10 prop?
zmonster97 is offline Find More Posts by zmonster97
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 3DHS 72" Extra flight