HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:18 PM
United States, MA, Lowell
Joined May 2004
857 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate View Post
Well... it's symmetrical, so to be fair maybe everyone else's horizontal stab and elevator are upside down!
I doubt you've heard that last of that!
Neil_SC is offline Find More Posts by Neil_SC
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:25 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlaneCraz3d View Post
Hello everyone, I just took the leap and got the Silver 74! It was delivered yesteday and I just got to open it up today, you all weren't kidding when you said pictures really don't do this scheme justice! All I can say is Wow! I will be building this one gas, most likely with an OS GT33 but still undecided between that or Mintor 33 or DLE 30. It will be a little while before I get to finish it as I don't have the funds right now to finish it. I plan on using Savox 1258TG's all around and an A123 for unregulated power. I have been reading through the thread from the beginning and am at about page 175 or so, lots of good information there (only need more on gas ) This will be my second 3DHS plane (first is an orange 59 Slick) and my first gas setup.
Get the OS gt33. I have the mintor and it has great power but there seems to be a lot of problems with them. If you have any questions just ask.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:28 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
United States, CA, Hayward
Joined Aug 2004
9,399 Posts
Quote:
Hello everyone, I just took the leap and got the Silver 74! It was delivered yesteday and I just got to open it up today, you all weren't kidding when you said pictures really don't do this scheme justice! All I can say is Wow! I will be building this one gas, most likely with an OS GT33 but still undecided between that or Mintor 33 or DLE 30. It will be a little while before I get to finish it as I don't have the funds right now to finish it. I plan on using Savox 1258TG's all around and an A123 for unregulated power. I have been reading through the thread from the beginning and am at about page 175 or so, lots of good information there (only need more on gas ) This will be my second 3DHS plane (first is an orange 59 Slick) and my first gas setup.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippy78 View Post
Get the OS gt33. I have the mintor and it has great power but there seems to be a lot of problems with them. If you have any questions just ask.
+1. cant tell you the number of stupid issues ive heard of with the dle. the os33 is the most proven 30cc motor out there
rcbirk21 is offline Find More Posts by rcbirk21
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Joe's Battery Contraption
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:28 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
United States, KY, Calvert City
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
What kind of problems with the Mintor? They sure are good looking engines, don't know much about them though.
PlaneCraz3d is offline Find More Posts by PlaneCraz3d
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:31 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Quote:
I am leaning heavily toward the OS as I am biased to them in my glow engines (it's all I have). I know the GT 33 is slightly heavier than the other two options listed and from what I have read so far it seams this model can stand a few extra oz's in the nose.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:34 PM
United States, MN, North Mankato
Joined Feb 2011
4,598 Posts
Quote:
I am leaning heavily toward the OS as I am biased to them in my glow engines (it's all I have). I know the GT 33 is slightly heavier than the other two options listed and from what I have read so far it seams this model can stand a few extra oz's in the nose.
The DA 35 is also an option. Not sure if its out yet.
Alex Schauer is online now Find More Posts by Alex Schauer
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:40 PM
USA, VA, Narrows
Joined Mar 2009
1,493 Posts
Quote:
What kind of problems with the Mintor? They sure are good looking engines, don't know much about them though.
Mine has i very bad knock in it. I believe they are having problems with the piston and rings in them.
skippy78 is online now Find More Posts by skippy78
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:44 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
It doesn't show yet on their website, but I am not usually one to jump on the bandwagon early on a new model. The OS has been tested and proven but the DA is brand new (or unreleased) and no one knows its quirks yet. Other than that I would certainly be looking into it. However, by the time I have the money for an engine the DA may not be new anymore. I have been offered a divorce if any more planes or plane parts show up here in the near future. : I don't think she's serious though.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:45 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,399 Posts
DA is great, their customer support is great, but their new engines do have problems just like any other motor. if i were going gas (which im not anytime soon), the os33 would be my only choice
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Quote:
Mine has i very bad knock in it. I believe they are having problems with the piston and rings in them.
Ooh, that sucks. Sorry to hear that.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:51 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbirk21 View Post
DA is great, their customer support is great, but their new engines do have problems just like any other motor. if i were going gas (which im not anytime soon), the os33 would be my only choice
I really like the gas option for the longer flight times. My Slick is running 4S on a Motrolfly 4315 and I'm getting 6 mins or so. I'm looking for 12 to 15 mins. Don't get me wrong, I love my Slick and wouldn't trade it for anything! I am just learning to 3D though and the longer flight times will help me get more practice in per flight without worrying about charging. Just fuel and go. I can charge my A123 in 4 mins. thats faster than I can fuel and be ready to go.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:03 PM
Barefoot Birkinsomething
Joined Aug 2004
9,399 Posts
and if you truly want no hassle, get the os33. you wont regret it, i know bivens LOVES his os33
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:16 PM
Joined Jan 2010
537 Posts
Quote:

I have mine setup with an OS. Runs very nicely, quite, lots of power, and has plenty of compression. Only thing to watch out for its easy likes to start in backwards. I use a long stick to start mine because of the backwards issue.
Josef086 is offline Find More Posts by Josef086
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:20 PM
Perpetual 3D Noob
Joined Jun 2010
271 Posts
I think you all have convinced me to go with the OS. Now I just have to figure out how to convince my wife I "need" it.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:44 PM
inverted-i-fly
United States, CA, Petaluma
Joined Mar 2011
4,322 Posts
Quote:
I think you all have convinced me to go with the OS. Now I just have to figure out how to convince my wife I "need" it.
just slip her a $200 victoria secret gift card, woks like a charm
3drcparts is offline Find More Posts by 3drcparts